Supersyn vs. Schaeffer 7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by satterfi:
Bob

Inserting your comments in someone else's post with the "reply with quotes" makes figuring out your response **** near impossible. It's too hard to figure out what you are trying to say.

I've seen the practice of inserting comments like this on other boards and after a short period, I stop reading that persons post.

I re did it, will that work?

The way I see it is if the oil can still do it's job perfectly well, why change it too often? In my case I have 4 cars in my family which I change the oil on, so I would rather not do 20 oil changes a year. So I try to stretch it longer, through oil analysis, to make sure I'm not going too far. I'm going to be doing a super extended interval test next year on both of my own cars, my wife's on Royal Purple 5w30 and mine with Schaeffer 10w30. I'll use the Fram Sure Drain system so that I can just drain out a small sample of the oil while still keeping the rest in there. It should be an interesting test, stay tuned! I'll be taking samples at the 9k, 12k, 15k (and every 3k beyond) mark on my Firebird, and at 5k, 8k, 11k on my wife's car. I won't change the oil until the analysis says it needs it.

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Call me stupid, but I just can't leave oil in my car for 15k miles, much less 25k like AMSOIL claims. Why would I want that crap running through the engine for such a long time? I don't care if it is suspended in the oil, the filter will begin to slow oil pressure at some point (since it has collected so much stuff); but whatever doesn't get caught by the filter goes right back to the engine (in between bearings, cylinders, camshafts, etc) over and over and over.

In my upcoming test I do plan on changing the oil filters still though. My LT1 uses a huge oil filter that I feel is more than safe to go 9k, and my wife's Honda uses a smaller one that I still feel is safe to 6k. By changing the filter I also introduce more fresh oil into the system too, replenishing the additive package to help keep the TBN strong.

I just want to jump in with my 0.10$ (inflation)

First - I too am not a big believer in GENERIC Amsoil 25K or 35K oil change intervals. However, people go longer and they have big mileage stacked up, fast - so this tells me indeed highway miles.

First Part Deux - I go 10K oil change intervals in my Volvo turbo. The oil is fine, the car is fine at 234,000 miles - and this is the MAX interval Amsoil makes for turbos - a fine point that Amsoil publishes a table on - car type and oil type. It is not a blanket statement - in fact most oils and car combo's are way less than 25K OCI. Turbos are still only 3X even with the S2K 0W-30

First part Trois - MOST people run out of time - 6 months or 1 year - before they run out of miles - so this dictates oil changes not 25K or 35K if you aren't analyzing.

Second - whoever said that the filter would get clogged, dirty oil would circulate, etc and addendum, extrapolated this in their own mind Amsoil has always said change the filter at recommended OCI, or mid interval if you are doing 10K or so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back