Supersyn esterless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this question been resolved here and I missed it? Now the Motorcycle Mobil 1 is going to Supersyn. If this new stuff does not contain the esters of the old formula then should I buy some of the old formula? I hope the price will drop too but I suspect it will stay the same or increase. George are you still on the board?
rolleyes.gif

Regardless of whether the SuperSyn formula contains esters it seems to outperform the TriSyn. If you stock up on the old formula you run the risk of having a stockpile of inferior oil.

Within the last 24 hours MolaKule has posted on this forum that Mobil 1 is comprised of PAO and next generation esters. That's good enough for me and squares with the language found on the Mobil 1 web site about the make up of Mobil 1.

The notion that the base oil in Mobil 1 is nothing but PAO is so far fetched it's ridiculous. The simple truth of the matter is that Mobil 1 has NEVER been a 100% PAO synthetic. Before they used esters and alkylated aromatics for solvency and additive dispersion, they used plain ol' Group I mineral oil. With the advent of the TriSyn formula, Mobil 1 became truly a "100% synthetic" since the mineral oil was no longer used.

quote:

The notion that the base oil in Mobil 1 is nothing but PAO is so far fetched it's ridiculous. The simple truth of the matter is that Mobil 1 has NEVER been a 100% PAO synthetic.

G-Man, are you saying then M1 has not been fully synthetic? Or did you mean Trisynthetic wasn't? The way I understood it, as little as I know about the chemistry side of it, is that Mobil's approach is to use a large portion of the oil as PAO and a smaller percentage of it is the SS ester additive package. Is this right? Mobil seems to feel that PAO based oils are more appropriate for gas engines rather then a complete ester based oil, such as Redline's. I think cost is the reason buy that is another story.
dunno.gif

[ June 25, 2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

The notion that the base oil in Mobil 1 is nothing but PAO is so far fetched it's ridiculous. The simple truth of the matter is that Mobil 1 has NEVER been a 100% PAO synthetic.

G-Man, are you saying then M1 has not been fully synthetic? Or did you mean Trisynthetic wasn't? The way I understood it, as little as I know about the chemistry side of it, is that Mobil's approach is to use a large portion of the oil as PAO and a smaller percentage of it is the SS ester additive package. Is this right? Mobil seems to feel that PAO based oils are more appropriate for gas engines rather then a complete ester based oil, such as Redline's. I think cost is the reason buy that is another story.
dunno.gif

Prior to the TriSyn formula, the additives were dispersed in Group I before being added to the PAO base stock. Some later formulations may have had some esters as well, but TriSyn was the first Mobil 1 that didn't have a least a small fraction of mineral oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back