Supercharger Fluid Exchange?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Nissan Supercharged V6, and the owners manual doesnt say anything about servicing the supercharger. there is a small plug on the front of the unit, where I assume would be where the fluid is.

Does anyone know if this unit is servicable? If it is, what fluid, how much fluid, and how often should it be done?

Last edited:
im really not sure who makes the SC....I will have to start searching around, maybe join the Xterra Forums

My Buick SC has the same plug in front. There is nothing in the manual as to changing fluid but I have changed mine twice now, suction it out and replace it. First time the oil was slightly colored and since then has been fine. The oil smells terrible and GM charges a fortune for it , like $10 for a 8 ounce container and a complete fill takes about two bottles.

So, I suggest checking it by taking the plug out, look at the oil and see if dirty and then decide to change it.

After doing some more searching, it appears to be an Eaton unit. It seams like GM 12345982 supercharger fluid is the fluid to use, but looking at a PDS of it, it doesnt look to be anything special. Does anyone see anything special in this fluid?

http://www.nyelubricants.com/pdf/605_copy2.pdf

Type - Ester
100°C - 8.7
40°C - 54
-40°C - 45,063
Viscosity Index - 139
Flash Point (°C) 304
Pour Point (°C) -54

Evaporation
24 hours - 100°C 0.1 %

Actually, on my previous Buick I used Amsoil 0W30 oil in place of the GM SC oil and ran that for 30,000 plus miles until the car was sold. never saw a problem but honestly have no idea as to why one would use the GM oil at $10 per 8 ounce bottle to synthetic motor oil at $8. per 32 ounce bottle. Is there actually a difference in the unit's longevity with motor oil?

GM service manuals in the 90's spec'd the 12345982 supercharger oil or "equivalent synthetic 5W-30" oil."

These days the FSM's only list the 12345982 oil but many S/C'd 3800 owners still use other synthetics instead of the foul smelling Eaton/GM fluid. I've used just M1 5W-30 in one my mother drives for several years now with no ill effects.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24

http://www.nyelubricants.com/pdf/605_copy2.pdf

Type - Ester
100°C - 8.7
40°C - 54
-40°C - 45,063
Viscosity Index - 139
Flash Point (°C) 304
Pour Point (°C) -54

Evaporation
24 hours - 100°C 0.1 %

Based on these specs wouldn't Redline 5w20 be the closest fluid.

FWIW: I use the GM supercharger oil. I never changed mine until I had to replace the coupler at ~155k miles.

The only thing I see that is out of the norm compared to motor oil is the 579*F flash point. The RL 10w30 oil is 480*F. The VI #'s are almost the same, and the pour point are close to eachother.

I dont know if the flash point plays a big role in the SC, so I think I will just use the GM fluid.

Well, I stopped by the local GM dealership today to get some fluid. I feel like they are bending over customers since it cost $29 for two 4oz bottles of this "special" fluid. I really wish I knew what was in this fluid that would make it cost so much, and if there was something else that is comparible that you can get at the local parts store.

$116 a quart for this fluid is a little steep.

The bottle says it contains Fatty Acids, C5-10, Esters with dipentaerythritol-Phosphoric acid,(1.1-dimethylethy) phenyl diphenyl ester.

I should have just thrown some Redline MTL in there and called it good. lol

Another thing I noticed, is I only sucked out 3 ounces of the original vomit smelling fluid, but it took 5 ounces to fill it back up to where it was starting to come back out of the fill hole. I wonder if one 4 ounce bottle would have been sufficiant enough?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back