Super Tech Synthetic 5w30, 10,855 on oil, 2015 F150 2.7L EcoBoost @ 126,584 miles

The Quaker State Euro is a better choice anyway with proven performance.
Yeah it is. But if Walmart would've come out with a syn 40 i'd've got it instead of the delvac but most likely would've switched qs it anyway for just an extra $3. But I already switched to qs euro for my gmc's. Delvac is pretty good but the cold we had in February made me regret it. Barely spun over and that's with a good battery. After a half minute of running I gave it some quick gas and man did that needle have some eye boogers cause it was slow when it usually isn't.

Reactions: 4WD
Yeah it is. But if Walmart would've come out with a syn 40 i'd've got it instead of the delvac but most likely would've switched qs it anyway for just an extra $3. But I already switched to qs euro for my gmc's. Delvac is pretty good but the cold we had in February made me regret it. Barely spun over and that's with a good battery. After a half minute of running I gave it some quick gas and man did that needle have some eye boogers cause it was slow when it usually isn't.
Yes picking an oil with a proper winter rating for your expected starting temperatures is a good idea. The Quaker State oil with a 5W rating will be good down to about -35F or so.

I wonder how much residual Amsoil was left in the motor as the calcium level seem 300ppm higher than expected for used ST synthetic. I'm used to seeing around 1350ppm new

I'm curious to see if this level drops any on a follow-up analysis if the same oil was used
Was Amsoil even the oil in it previously? The blackstone sheet says the Amsoil was in there around 41K miles, there's 126K on the truck now.

Was Amsoil even the oil in it previously? The blackstone sheet says the Amsoil was in there around 41K miles, there's 126K on the truck now.
That was what I was wondering because we don't see the reports in between.

@jmimac351 Was this the first time you used ST Synthetic in your truck with Amsoil up until this?

Yeah that cold front we had was insane!! Houston was at 4F.

Yes picking an oil with a proper winter rating for your expected starting temperatures is a good idea. The Quaker State oil with a 5W rating will be good down to about -35F or so.
Although it didn't get that cold in the freeze down here oh boy did my trucks not like the 15w-40. Batteries are good but after letting it run for a bit I gave it some gas and wow. Slowest needle I've ever seen. That oil was nice and thick for it to have a resistance like that. Although it may not happen again still the small extra cost of the 5w-40 is worth it anyway.

Just by going off this report, I'd say that the Amsoil could've gone even further. Yes, it's twice the cost, but you went twice the mileage and it still had twice the TBN, with wear pretty much tracking linearly. It's true the Supertech did well here, but this singular UOA also points to the Amsoil doing just as well at twice the duration with more in the proverbial "tank" to give. However, if Supertech is more to your liking, it looks like it did its job here.

Just by going off this report, I'd say that the Amsoil could've gone even further. Yes, it's twice the cost, but you went twice the mileage and it still had twice the TBN, with wear pretty much tracking linearly. It's true the Supertech did well here, but this singular UOA also points to the Amsoil doing just as well at twice the duration with more in the proverbial "tank" to give. However, if Supertech is more to your liking, it looks like it did its job here.
Sure it did do almost twice the mileage at almost twice as much tbn left but 6 quarts of signature is gonna be $85 while 6qt's worth of supertech 10k is gonna be $17. the 20k mile supertech would be about $21 but that's yet to be tested. I think id rather spend a fifth less to go 2 as much and just change more frequently than even that. Both are great though. SS probably could have done 22- 25k in that TT gdi engine.

Sure it did do almost twice the mileage at almost twice as much tbn left but 6 quarts of signature is gonna be $85 while 6qt's worth of supertech 10k is gonna be $17. the 20k mile supertech would be about $21 but that's yet to be tested. I think id rather spend a fifth less to go 2 as much and just change more frequently than even that. Both are great though. SS probably could have done 22- 25k in that TT gdi engine.
I'm not going to argue the finer points of this, but a 5 quart jug of Supertech is $17.44, meaning you're going to be buying another quart. If you run it for half the distance, you're also doubling up on filters. Even with that in mind, however, you're never going to make Amsoil more cost efficient than Supertech. That said, the cost discrepancy is not near as bad as you made it out to be. Really, it just comes down to preference. Some people would prefer to spend more and change oil less, while others will opt to save money even if it means going through the oil change rigamarole more often. I do agree, while both oils still had life in it, the Amsoil definitely had more to offer. Including TAN would tell us more.

That was what I was wondering because we don't see the reports in between.

@jmimac351 Was this the first time you used ST Synthetic in your truck with Amsoil up until this?
Yes, I was using Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 up to the point I decided to try the Super Tech.

I'm not going to argue the finer points of this, but a 5 quart jug of Supertech is $17.44, meaning you're going to be buying another quart. If you run it for half the distance, you're also doubling up on filters. Even with that in mind, however, you're never going to make Amsoil more cost efficient than Supertech. That said, the cost discrepancy is not near as bad as you made it out to be. Really, it just comes down to preference. Some people would prefer to spend more and change oil less, while others will opt to save money even if it means going through the oil change rigamarole more often. I do agree, while both oils still had life in it, the Amsoil definitely had more to offer. Including TAN would tell us more.

I'm starting to settle on that I'd rather pay for more oil and filters if it means less dirt in the motor - assuming there isn't much difference, if any, between how either oil keeps the engine clean and inhibits wear. The lower price of the oil means I can get more dirt out of the motor, sooner. Maybe I'm kidding myself on the benefits of that rationale.

Yes, I was using Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 up to the point I decided to try the Super Tech.
Ah. TY. Yeah, it doesn't seem like there is much of a need for Amsoil with how well the STFS comes out.

The best oil filter is a good air filter. If you use a paper filter and keep a good routine with changing it, your oil will benefit greatly.

Supertech full syn is $14 something where I live and the new 20K mile advanced full syn is $17 something. 5 quarts of Amsoil is NOT double the cost of ST, more like 4-5x times the cost.

Supertech full syn is $14 something where I live and the new 20K mile advanced full syn is $17 something. 5 quarts of Amsoil is NOT double the cost of ST, more like 4-5x times the cost.
5 qts of AMSOIL signature 5W-30 is $94 shipped to me in South Carolina. 5 QTS of Supertech Full Syn 20K is $17.49 + tax. So, I would agree with you. 4-5 times the cost.

Nothing wrong with AMSOIL. I'm sure it's great. But would be a waste for my vehicles OCI, both in the oil and in my wallet.

Ah. TY. Yeah, it doesn't seem like there is much of a need for Amsoil with how well the STFS comes out.

The best oil filter is a good air filter. If you use a paper filter and keep a good routine with changing it, your oil will benefit greatly.
I agree. But I would caution those who think that frequent air filter changes are "better"; that's patently wrong. This depends upon how you're defining a "good routine" of air filter changes.

Air filters get more efficient as they load up, and overly-frequent changes can be very detrimental.
Approximately 90% of the contaminants an air filter will pass in its entire life cycle are passed in the first 10% of it's life. If you change more often than necessary, you're just inducing more dirt ingestion than if you had left the air filter in service for longer periods.
See this article by our own Jim Allen:

Example ...
If you had a new car and drove it 100k miles, consider these two "routine maintenance" choices:
1) change air filter every 25k miles per OEM schedule
2) change air filter at 50k miles
- in example 1, you would have 4 air filters (OEM plus ones at 25k, 50k, 75k). That's four "new" filters and four early life cycles of high-ingestion rates.
- in example 2, you would only have 2 air filter (OEM plus one at 50k). That's HALF of the "new" filters and therefore half of the high-ingestion rate which comes early in the filter's life.

Unless you live in a super dusty area all the time, OEM air filter changes are grossly over applied. I installed an air intake vacuum gage from Wix; the cost of it is easily paid for by saving a few filter changes and now I know with certainty when to change the filter and don't have to guess. And my engine is all the better for it. Most air filters have far more capacity than people give them credit for.

Back