Super Tech Synthetic 5w30, 10,855 on oil, 2015 F150 2.7L EcoBoost @ 126,584 miles

I agree. But I would caution those who think that frequent air filter changes are "better"; that's patently wrong. This depends upon how you're defining a "good routine" of air filter changes.

Air filters get more efficient as they load up, and overly-frequent changes can be very detrimental.
Approximately 90% of the contaminants an air filter will pass in its entire life cycle are passed in the first 10% of it's life. If you change more often than necessary, you're just inducing more dirt ingestion than if you had left the air filter in service for longer periods.
See this article by our own Jim Allen:

Example ...
If you had a new car and drove it 100k miles, consider these two "routine maintenance" choices:
1) change air filter every 25k miles per OEM schedule
2) change air filter at 50k miles
- in example 1, you would have 4 air filters (OEM plus ones at 25k, 50k, 75k). That's four "new" filters and four early life cycles of high-ingestion rates.
- in example 2, you would only have 2 air filter (OEM plus one at 50k). That's HALF of the "new" filters and therefore half of the high-ingestion rate which comes early in the filter's life.

Unless you live in a super dusty area all the time, OEM air filter changes are grossly over applied. I installed an air intake vacuum gage from Wix; the cost of it is easily paid for by saving a few filter changes and now I know with certainty when to change the filter and don't have to guess. And my engine is all the better for it. Most air filters have far more capacity than people give them credit for.
My definition of a "good routine" is changing the filter either at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended interval or at the filter manufacturer's interval and avoid Example 3) never changing the air filter

Something I didn't see addressed here is that we are dealing with an Eco on ST for 10k run and the reports shows no fuel dilution? That's pretty darn good. OP, what are your typical driving habits?

Edit to add: Thanks for posting the UOA!!

I'm starting to settle on that I'd rather pay for more oil and filters if it means less dirt in the motor - assuming there isn't much difference, if any, between how either oil keeps the engine clean and inhibits wear. The lower price of the oil means I can get more dirt out of the motor, sooner. Maybe I'm kidding myself on the benefits of that rationale.
I guess there are some intangibles involved. I would hazard a guess that base oil quality and add pack would be better with the Am soil.

If oil was just oil then bitog wouldn't exist and we could all turn the page. Oil is oil? Blanket statement for sure.

But BITOG is a lot more than just a motor oil debate website.
I'd say oil is oil just as long as it meets the requirements for your application, with viscosity, SP rating, and Dexos seal.
It's gotten pretty much down to that these days. It may not have been quite that way when BITOG was formed several years ago.

But BITOG is a lot more than just a motor oil debate website.
I'd say oil is oil just as long as it meets the requirements for your application, with viscosity, SP rating, and Dexos seal.
It's gotten pretty much down to that these days. It may not have been quite that way when BITOG was formed several years ago.
You make it sound like I made the statement. If I'm doing an oil change before a cross country trip with my motor home, believe you me I'd rather set out with Amsoil in the crank case vs SuperTech, Dexos or not.

You make it sound like I made the statement. If I'm doing an oil change before a cross country trip with my motor home, believe you me I'd rather set out with Amsoil in the crank case vs SuperTech, Dexos or not.

Why?

I preface this by stating I know ZERO about motor homes and their oil requirements. Not sure if you are pulling a 5th wheel in your truck or if its's a drivable motor home. I guess my question is, what is in the AMSOIL that makes it so much better than the Supertech? Maybe this IS a usage case for spending 5X the cost on the oil?

Why?

I preface this by stating I know ZERO about motor homes and their oil requirements. Not sure if you are pulling a 5th wheel in your truck or if its's a drivable motor home. I guess my question is, what is in the AMSOIL that makes it so much better than the Supertech? Maybe this IS a usage case for spending 5X the cost on the oil?
Volatility, add pack, film strength and long drain capability. Regardless of what the consensus is on bitog , this particular and other similar senarios, I would always go for the Amsoil or Mobil1 EP-AP etc. Oh yeah, forgot about your 5x the cost thing. If I've got a $90k motor home and I'm paying through the nose for bad fuel mileage,. I won't worry about the few extra dollars for engine oil.

Volatility, add pack, film strength and long drain capability. Regardless of what the consensus is on bitog , this particular and other similar senarios, I would always go for the Amsoil or Mobil1 EP-AP etc. Oh yeah, forgot about your 5x the cost thing. If I've got a $90k motor home and I'm paying through the nose for bad fuel mileage,. I won't worry about the few extra dollars for engine oil.

Makes sense. Thanks.

Yes picking an oil with a proper winter rating for your expected starting temperatures is a good idea. The Quaker State oil with a 5W rating will be good down to about -35F or so.
One of our guys in the panhandle (colder than Cypress) had no issues cranking with 15w40 Delvac during the cold snap … but a Duramax 2500 has a bit more twist and shout behind that start button …

One of our guys in the panhandle (colder than Cypress) had no issues cranking with 15w40 Delvac during the cold snap … but a Duramax 2500 has a bit more twist and shout behind that start button …
True but the real problem could be pumpability. If the oil gels in the vicinity of the pickup then even if the engine is cranking it won’t pump.

Try that up in the real cold parts of PA or better yet Alaska. Better have a sump heater. Just saying

Back