Super Tech Oil Makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reported in Sept.2004 that the local WM was selling ST with a container that was evidently from consolidated container.

The blue bottle had a C with a four point star embossed in the bottom.

In I think Dec.2004,the ST bottles once again have the WPP logo on the bottoms.

The WPP had been on the bottles for quite some time,that is until the C was on them for a short time.

It seems that my area of KY is supplied by WPP.

It seemed that the supplier was possibly changing in Sept.2004 but now that no longer seems to be the case.

WPP has been and seems,will be,the supplier here.

I personally was hoping Exxon/Mobil would supply my area.

Just an update.

Has anyone else noticed anything different about the ST?

At my local Wally World, I've noticed that the dino/synthetic/blend quarts are Warren. The synthetic blend 5 Quart bottle is also Warren. The 5 Quart dino, however, is in bottles that are identical to the Penzoil/QS 5 Quart bottles.

No. From what I understood it was an availability problem and that's why mobil was used.

Despite that, does it make it a crappy motor oil? No.

quote:

Originally posted by Fuelrod:
Can you say "Lowest Bidder" boys and girls?

As a reality check, the list of bidders for the SuperTech contract is probably a short one.

The capital investment is huge for blending, packaging and distribution of a low margin, $0.88 a quart bottle motor oil at the volumes required by Walmart.

Not many custom blending companies have the automated bottle blow molding & filling equipment to handle this volume. Even fewer have the logistics capabilities for low cost distribution to the many regional Walmart distribution centers.

Here is a Link to Pictures of the Warren blow molding & packaging equipment.

Here is an Aerial View of the Warren Facility . Note the proximity to the interstate for truck shipments & the capability to receive river barge deliveries of bulk oil & anti-freeze components.

I think Warren Performance Products deserves some credit as it takes more expertise & planning to make a profit on an $0.88 bottle of oil than some of the major's at $1.69 a bottle.

I work at wal-mart distribution. If you go to a wal-mart store in ohio, most likely the oil is currently made by mobil and comes from the Paulsboro, NJ refinery. The way to tell is that the newer mobil and st bottles will have the same shape. Depending on where you are at in kentucky, your wal-mart store might be served by the Hopkinsville, KY distribution center. And different centers sometimes have differing suppliers.

Interesting that Warren Distribution WAS Warren Oil before Warren Oil was Warren Oil. Funny they didn't protect their trademark.

From WPP site:

"Warren Distribution, Inc. was founded in 1922 as Warren Oil Company by James Schlott, the grandfather of Robert N. Schlott, the current Chairman / CEO. The business began by supplying lubricating oils and related products to the agricultural business in the surrounding area. Such business remains the principle focus of the firm today. In 1971, Terminal Packaging Corporation was founded in Council Bluffs, Iowa, as the manufacturer of plastic bottles and a packager of automotive coolants. This operation was later expanded to include lube oil blending and packaging. Terminal Packaging Corporation became a subsidiary of Warren Distribution in 1990 and in 1994 was merged into Warren. The manufacturing operation is known as Warren Performance Packaging today, an operating division of Warren Distribution."

From Warren Petroleum Company site:

"Warren Oil Company was established in 1976 by Irvin Warren in a small building with 2 employees in Dunn, North Carolina. Today, Warren Oil Company is a national company with the corporate headquarters still in Dunn, North Carolina and plants in Alabama, Pennsylvania, Illinois and Texas, employing nearly 300 people."

Warren Oil Company of North Carolina bough out the Coastal Unilube brand from El Paso Corp. in Jan 2004.

The Warren Oil Company has a new web site at www.warrenunilube.com
Warren Oil is a supplier of oils for Family Dollar and other store brands.

What I'm fuzzy on is whether there's actually a corporate connection between Warren Oil (NC) and Warren Performance Products (IA). WPP sounds more like a distribution enterprise unless I'm missing something, here. If there's no corporate connection, who's actually blending the oil in those SuperTech bottles?

Warren Distribution/Warren Performance Products is a distributor and a manufacturer.They make their own products under the names of Mag 1,Accel and Polar brand plus they make private label products.

Warren Dist/WPP is one of the blender/bottlers of the ST oil for Wal-Mart.Here is the website:
www.warrendistribution.com

Warren Dist/WPP is not nor from my understanding,has it been associated with Warren Oil Co. of NC.

I e-mailed(lost it)Warren Dist/WPP and they responded and said that they are not associated with Warren Oil Co. of NC.

The two companies were started by two different people.

Warren Oil Co. is now the owner of the Coastal brand since they bought Coastal-Unilube from El Paso Corp. in Jan 2004.
They are also the maker of Advance Auto's house brand of oil.

Here are the two websites for Warren Oil:
www.warrenoil.com

www.warrenunilube.com

Caraustar is the bottle supplier for the vast majority of manufactures. I would not put a lot of faith in the bottle logos. If they have a shortage of one kind and the other Supertech bottles will run on the machinery they will ship them.

Gene

Gene,we are not really talking a whole lot about the bottles,we are more into the actual maker of what is in the bottle.

WPP makes their own bottles and may at times get some from Constar.

It also seems that the Constar logo bottles are from Mobil since they seem to be a supplier of ST.

In my area,I have only seen the WPP and the Constar logo's on the bottles for quite some time,the vast majority of which have been WPP.

I have only seen the Constar logo a few months ago and that was for a short time.

The WPP logo is back and has been for a while.

"What I'm fuzzy on is whether there's actually a corporate connection between Warren Oil (NC) and Warren Performance Products (IA). WPP sounds more like a distribution enterprise unless I'm missing something, here. If there's no corporate connection, who's actually blending the oil in those SuperTech bottles?"

WPP does blending as well as packaging. As an aside there's a post somehwere in here from someone who called Warren and was told their synthetic was group IV. Don't believe it, unless they were working through some group IV stock that they got at a really good price but there is someone employed there who did.

I use M 1 in my newer vehicle but dino in the old ones . I usually buy major brands with coupons and or rebates but did have any this time . I bought some Walmart brand oil thinking it was re-labled Penzoil or Mobile before reading this thread . No offense to Warren Dist but who knows about about an independent blender's QA . A name brand has to stand behind theirs. I'll go back to the name brands next time .

quote:

Originally posted by drive it forever:
I work at wal-mart distribution. If you go to a wal-mart store in ohio, most likely the oil is currently made by mobil and comes from the Paulsboro, NJ refinery. The way to tell is that the newer mobil and st bottles will have the same shape. Depending on where you are at in kentucky, your wal-mart store might be served by the Hopkinsville, KY distribution center. And different centers sometimes have differing suppliers.

Thats what I've seen here in pee-ahy, ST bottles that look just like Mobile1 conventional bottles.

here in RI they recently switched from WPP to EXXON---i happned to notice that the ST bottle was an exact match for the Exxon superflo bottle so i looked further for clues and found a production code printed in very small white lettering/numbering running along the botom of the rear label that makes it very clear that both bottles are coming from an Exxon plant. at 88 cents it's a great deal for what is actually Exxon Superflo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back