Super Tech 75W-90 synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else tried Super Tech 75W-90 synthetic blend in a manual transmissions application? Just switch to this in my old Toyota pickup so far I'm impressed with the way is shifts. I will know more in a couple months when colder weather hits. Because this thing can shift hard in 1st and 2nd when everything is down around freezing until oil warms up some. At $4.64 a qt if this works out I will be a happy camper.

I have not used it but I know bill in utah used it in his corolla for several thousand miles and then switched to M1 and then amsoil, which I believe he still has in there.

I dumped my ff at 2200 miles, used coastal 75w90 until 10K on car then put in amsoil 75w90 MTG. had the notchy shifting with the ff and caostal, and while still there a little with the amsoil on cold mornings, it is noticably better and is like butta when warmed up

should have no problems with the supertech

I like my trans to shift as good as possible - it is one of the joys of a stick shift.
I will always buy the best dedicated manual trans fluid that I can get. Better shifting and excellent wear.
If all I could get was the Supertech, I would use it by default.

The SuperTech is gonna be GL-5, primarily a hypoid diff. fluid. Shifting should be noticeably better with a dedicated GL-4 manual trans gear oil or fluid. Different friction requirements.

Just a thought here but its been my experience having 35 years worth of mostly manual cars and trucks that what was in them didn't affect noticeably how it shifted. The only time it was very obvious was when it was -35F or thereabouts. The greater determinant was the linkages and in the case of the newer transaxle sorts its the ball socket down under the boot. I did have one of those on a Honda CRX get all gooey from dirt accumulation. All it took was regreasing the assembly under the shift boot in that case.

We used to use heavy gear oil in everything, also. What else was there to choose from?
But there is a noticeable difference nowadays when using the proper lube in a manual trans. For one thing, there weren't many readily available dedicated manual trans lubes years ago. Cars shift at higher RPMs , an generally have more gears, of lighter construction now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back