Super stock - Need oil suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chevy 350, nothing special due to the restrictions for the class. This is my buddies car and he has been running dino 20w50 for the season.

Would delo 15w40 be okay to try for this because of the robust add pack? Or should he stick with a 10w30 or 40? I can't remember what the chevy 350 was spec'd for. 20w50 just seems too heavy for this application.

He cahnges the oil out every 10 races so there is not a lot of miles on the oil just several short WOT runs.

Thanks for help!

In drag racing you have very little actual on power time to build up the oil temperature and thin it out. Pro stock motors run 0W-5, but they also get a teardown every run.

I'd run a 10W-30 or 15W-40 heavy duty engine oil.

I guess the engine builder also said to run 10w30 so he may give that a try. Thanks!

I agree that 20W-50 is too thick (for nearly all applications) and is costing him precious horsepower in a limited class.

Valvoline VR1 is available in a 10W-30 ... but I don't think this oil is that great ... just high in ZDDP.

Does he have access to a Schaeffer dealer? Here's what I'd use:

http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/703.pdf

Good luck shearing that stuff down.
wink.gif

He said that he'll only run conventional in the car but I'll still suggest the schaeffer oil. I agree, that looks like the ticket!!!

I am trying to get him to at least try the DELO or Rotella 15w40 since it's sort of an in-between oil from the 20w50 and the 10w30. I have a feeling that he'll notice the difference right away... He said the car is running like a raped ape and he doesn't think it can run any faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back