Super Pro Plus 5W20 - 7295 mi - 2005 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the results back from my first UOA from Blackstone Labs. This is for my 2005 Honda Pilot (3.5L V6). The oil was from the 30k maintenance done by the dealer. They used Super Pro Plus 5W20 conventional oil from a local company (Plymouth Lubricants). I went with such a "long" OCI because that's what Honda recommends for "normal" conditions.

After seeing these results, I'm contemplating doing another ~7500 mi UOA with the oil I just put in (Chevron 5W-30 conventional - leftover from stash I had for my old car) to see if there are any differences.

Comments:
Universal averages show typical wear for the Honda 3.5L after ~5,700 mile use on the oil. Your oil was run longer, so we expected to see iron read higher. It's from steel parts and tends to track directly with miles on the oil. As long as other metals stay low (like they did here), we don't worry about iron. The TBN read 1.0 and this shows the oil was basically out of active additive and for this reason we don't think running this brand of oil longer is a good idea, but staying with at ~7,250 miles is okay. The trace of fuel isn't a problem and the viscosity was fine.

MI on oil: 7295
MI on unit: 37,480
Sample Date: 5/4/08
Make up oil added: 0

Aluminum: 6
Chromium: 2
Iron: 26
Copper: 3
Lead: 1
Tin: 0
Molybdenum: 64
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 7
Silver 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 2
Boron: 5
Silicon: 16
Sodium: 2
Calcium: 1967
Magnesium: 14
Phosphorus: 603
Zinc: 801
Barium: 0

*Numbers in parenthesis are recommended values
SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 50.7 (46-59)
cST Viscosity @ 100C: 7.48 (6.0-10.2)
Flashpoint in F: 355 (>355)
Fuel %: TR ( Antifreeze %: 0.0 (0.0)
Water %: 0.0 ( Insolubles %: 0.4 ( TBN: 1.0

I think 6k is the max for a good conventional. This oil is completely used up. No need to cut it that close. .02.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
I think 6k is the max for a good conventional. This oil is completely used up. No need to cut it that close. .02.

It doesn't look used up to me. Blackstone's TBN readings are a lot lower than many labs.

I'm glad you had them do the TBN. I didn't think it would be that necessary with an OCI of less than 7,500 miles,... but this stuff
21.gif
is used up!

I bet that the Chevron 5w-30 gives a better showing.

Originally Posted By: DmanWho
I'm glad you had them do the TBN. I didn't think it would be that necessary with an OCI of less than 7,500 miles,... but this stuff
21.gif
is used up!

I bet that the Chevron 5w-30 gives a better showing.

Well, I figured 7300 mi was close enough to warrant a TBN on conventional oil.

Anyone think that these numbers warrant that I go with more frequent oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back