Super Plug oil drain plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided to put a magnetic drain plug in my vehicles and like to apparent quality of the Super Plug. How many BITOG members use magnetic plugs? Are the Super Plugs "worth" the $20.00 as compared to the local auto store $7.00 plugs. Is the magnet on the Super Plug stronger? Is the quality of the steel worthy of the $20.00?

Thanks
Jim

cool.gif
I put one in my 87 van, 122k, it had crud on it after just 700 miles. The one I ordered for my truck I had to send back, it was the wrong size, I just got an email saying they got it and will send me another. As far as the magnet strength, do you remember the Roadrunner/Wile E. Coyote cartoon with the electromagnet pulling in trucks and rockets?
lol.gif
Uh, yeah. If you plan on keeping the vehicle a while I'd say it's worth it, OTOH how much of the metal the oil filter would pick up anyway is hard to say.
dunno.gif

NAPA sells the magnetic oil plugs for "most" engines for $3-4. However, in a direct comparison of plugs for a Chevy 350 motor, the Superplug is much longer (has more magnetic area) and the Superplug magnet is MUCH stronger. I'm going with the Superplug in my motor, even though I had bought the NAPA plug before I learned about the Superplug.

The better magnetic crankcase oil drain plugs have a magnet made from neobium, a magnetic metal that retains more of its magnetism at high crankcase temperatures compared to the usual hard steel magnets.

If they fit, Avlube.com has excellent neobium magnet drain plugs. I think Superplug is also neobium, but it might pay to ask them.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Nosmo King:
I have used magnetic drain plugs for years.
Here is a pic from a 2003 VW 2.0 litre motor.

This was the second oil change
( 500 to 3000 ) kilometers.
Click here for pic

For some reason my UBB code is not working and
pic is not embedding

Does the drain plug you have fit most Audi/VW apps? What is the thread pitch, size etc for that plug? Reason I'm asking is because I', wondering if I should get one for my dad's A6.

Sorry I should have mentioned that this plug was home made.
Stock drain plug with 1/4inch hole drilled in end and 1/4 inch rod magnet tapped in.

quote:

Sorry I should have mentioned that this plug was home made.
Stock drain plug with 1/4inch hole drilled in end and 1/4 inch rod magnet tapped in.

Gotcha..ok so i just need to buy an extra drain plug and find that neosomething magnet in a 1/4" size. How far did you drill into the plug? Thanks.

-Chris

I have used magnetic drain plugs for years.
Here is a pic from a 2003 VW 2.0 litre motor.

This was the second oil change
( 500 to 3000 ) kilometers.
Click here for pic

For some reason my UBB code is not working and
pic is not embedding

[ January 02, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Nosmo King ]

ChrisW,

Have you checked out the Super Plug web page...Their plugs look a lot better than someting that you could manufacture in your garage!

Given the tiny magnet in these drain plugs I would except to get the same debris after a 15 minute drain of warm oil. A new OEM GM plug cost 3 bucks at the dealer parts counter and has a built in rubber gasket.

I have an inexpensive magnetic drain plug in my Volvo 240($3.50+shipping from FCPGroton). The Volvo has an steel oil pan and the magnet on the cheapo plug is so strong that it makes installation challenging. I can't imagine that any $20 magnetic plug is going to be that much stronger.

Another trick, far simpler for you guys without garage and basement machine shops.
Get one somarian cobalt magnet. Lee valley ( google ) has a huge assortment.
Place one on the side of the oil filter.

The neosomething magnets used in superplugs, etc are much, much stronger than those sold for under $8 or that come with i.e., GM vehicles. You can buy these magnets in many different forms and sizes on the internet as they are used and resold from old computers.

I have a superplug for my motorcycle and car. The one for the bike is fine. The only problem I have with th auto plug is that is it a regular 3/4" bolt head with no built built in lip like most OEM standard plugs. This necessitates using the supplied metal/rubber gasket to ensure it doesn't leak as the bolt head doesn't cover the entire gasket not does is there enough head area to totally cover the supplied gasket. I called superplug and asked them about this. Their reply was that they use the metal/rubber gasket as they has leak problems with some of their bolts. I asked them about the design of the bolt head. Apparently, these use a common 3/4" bolt for many auto applications and modify the thread and magnet holder end for many applications. At my request, they did send me an extra 5 gaskets however.

If you get the superplug with the rubber/metal gasket, ensure you tighten it down, wait and tighten it down again several times as the metal/rubber gasket compresses. I didn't realize how much compression was going on the first time and when I went to change my oil, the plug was almost finger lose. From experience, the gasket will last about 2 oil intervals before it starts to fall apart and require replacement.

quote:

Another trick, far simpler for you guys without garage and basement machine shops.
Get one somarian cobalt magnet. Lee valley ( google ) has a huge assortment.
Place one on the side of the oil filter.

I used the rod type magnets from Lee Valley also and just fixed it at the end of the drain plug. These puppys are strong... they wont just slip off.
Installed them over a year ago... works great.
Jean

quote:

Originally posted by SL8Brick:
The Volvo has an steel oil pan and the magnet on the cheapo plug is so strong that it makes installation challenging. I can't imagine that any $20 magnetic plug is going to be that much stronger.

cool.gif
Same problem getting it in the pan on my van.
lol.gif
My wife's Grand Am has an OE magnetic plug, that's where I got the idea to look for one for my vehicles, believe me the Superplug is A LOT stronger. I'm not shilling for Superplug, all's I'm saying is that I could probably drag my fridge across the kitchen with it.
grin.gif

I guess I don't "get it". Isn't the idea to prevent the metal particles from wearing off the engine, not catching them after they do?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by hannaco:
Once the metel filings have worn off of the engine parts, the object is to get them out of circulation.

Yes but doesn't the oil filter already do this? If the particles are big enough to see, they are big enough for the oil filter to catch, since the human eye can't see anything smaller than 40 microns, and almost every single filter you can buy will trap 99% of the 40 micron particles floating in your oil.

I know people get all excited when they put on a magnetic drain plug and then see it catching all kinds of stuff, but to be honest, it's not as if that stuff would've just kept going around and around, it would just be in the oil filter instead.

So basically you're just giving the wear particles a different place to hang out until oil change time comes along.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back