Super Deal on Mobil-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just lucked out and bought 10 quarts of M1 on sale. My local Walmart had the 5 quart jugs on sale for $14.98. The only down side is that they only had one 10W30 and all the rest was 5W30. The 15W50 was full price $18.98. So I got one jug of 10W30 and reluctantly one jug of 5W30. Even though I did not want the 5W30 at that price I could not say no. If I had more extra cash I would have bought two years worth!!! So it looks like Redline will have to wait!

John, wasn't Tri-Syn, was it?

[ June 12, 2003, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: YZF150 ]

No, It is super syn! I had tell everyone because i do not normaly get deals like this. I am usualy the guy that finds ut that last week it was on sale.

That is a great deal! I paid $18.88 in NJ. For that price, it's hard to pass. All we need now is German Castrol and Amsoil in every major retail chain. More competition and more choices. I'd really like to see on of these other high end oils start competing with Mobil 1 via retail. Mobil's been the only full syn. on the shelf. I've seen Amsoil XL series on the shelf once and it was $7 a qt.
wink.gif

[ June 13, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

It was $19.09 yesterday in Monrovia, CA, yesterday, but I've never seen the 5 quart jugs in that store before, so it's an improvement.

They were also stocking 0W-40 and 0W-20 in quarts. I wonder if we'll get either of those in 5 quart jugs now that Wal-Mart is carrying them.

The WalMart next to me had the cases (4, 5 qt jugs) of Mobil 1 on display with a price of $18.88. I took several (4 cases) to the automotive check out and the lady said that it was $75.52 not $18.88. I pointed to the display and she said she had to give it to me since that is how it was displayed. I felt like I was stealing, so I put back three of the four and took just one case for the $18.88. The manager thanked me because this was the first day for this display and they could have lost a lot of money because some stock boy didn't know what he was doing.

BTW, Great site! Tons of great information.

I would have bought the whole display and all they had in the back, for that price. Who cares about Wal-Mart... the only reason they are the #1 company in the world is because they are so darn stingy.

Sorry, just had to say it... a few words from the lurking former Wal-Mart TLE employee.

I just bought a 5-qt jug at Wally World for $18 and some change.

If I saw them for $15 I would have bought about 4-5 of them...maybe I'll go check the local one out tommarow.

offtopic.gif
The oil section of my local Wal-Mart stinks...almost no selection. The other three within 30 mins all have good stock though...
dunno.gif

While he was legally entitled to purchase any available number of cases at the posted price, Steve was obviously acting on a higher plane than legality in his decision to return three of those cases. I salute you, Ace. I'm not at all sure I would've had the moxie to similarly rise to the moral challenge in the same circumstance. But, it's good to know there are such people as Steve still around.

Cheers, Ace!
cheers.gif

[ June 14, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

I was once in a similar situation a few years back at a now defunct store called "Jamesway". There was a sale on Mobil 1 at $3.33 per quart, and I picked up a couple of six packs. At the register, each six pack rang up at the single quart price. I pointed out to the sales person that the price of $3.33 was per quart, not per six pack, and she said: "Our scanners are never wrong, that's the price". (Maybe she misunderstood and thought that I was complaining that the price was too high?)

I felt my moral obligation was met, and if the store was so arrogant that they thought they could never be wrong, then maybe the rule in this case is that the seller, not the customer, is always right. So I checked out, and then returned and bought every six pack available, maybe 20 of them. Paid cash for them.

Ironically, the Jamesway chain went out of business about a year later. Wonder if it had something to do with their belief that they could do not wrong?
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

And that's how I converted from dino oil to synthetic. True story.
smile.gif

Someone I know from LS1.com went into Walmart and found out that the 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 were coming up as only $6 or $7 each, so he cleaned them out and bought 60 jugs of the stuff! This was when it was Trisynthetic. This same person was profiled on 60min, in a street racing documentary, and it did not portray him in a good way either, showing how he would spend all his money on his car while his wife and young baby lived in a crummy apartment. What comes around goes around, so I would personally never do something like this guy did. That guy will take years to use up all that oil, and it's already outdated, since SuperSyn is so much better. What a moron.
freak2.gif

In addition to my own car, I changed oil for my mother, and I gave some away, so it all got used up in about 3 years.

I used to race SCCA years ago when I was in my early 20s. I looked around at the other racers, particularly the older ones. They were either well off professionals, or had automotive related businesses where they could write off or bury some of the expense, or in a few cases had sponsors, but in many cases were living hand to mouth while feeding their racing habit. I did pretty well, and was getting free parts from the car importer. However, after satisfying myself I could do it, I sold the car, saved the money I was spending on racing for a couple of years, and then quit my job to go back to school full time for a post graduate degree. I had no dependents or responsibilities at the time.

Some of the guys who started racing when I did are still at it 30+ years later.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve B.:
The WalMart next to me had the cases (4, 5 qt jugs) of Mobil 1 on display with a price of $18.88. I took several (4 cases) to the automotive check out and the lady said that it was $75.52 not $18.88. I pointed to the display and she said she had to give it to me since that is how it was displayed. I felt like I was stealing, so I put back three of the four and took just one case for the $18.88. The manager thanked me because this was the first day for this display and they could have lost a lot of money because some stock boy didn't know what he was doing.

BTW, Great site! Tons of great information.

You are a good man Steve. You sound like me, if someone gives me back too much change at a cash register, I let them know and return the money. I truly believe the old saying, "what comes around goes around." -Joe

Used to buy 6-packs of Adirondack brand soda for 24 cents: 18c plus 5c deposit plus 1c tax. Drank the soda and returned the cans for 30 cents!! Idiots at walmart priced per can but left the bird-choking rings on-- would get one bar code of the six scanned. Management was not interested in making this right; the computerized ordering meant the shelves became bare.

Obligatory oil comment: Chevron 10w30 is back in stock in Windham ME... Only gets one bottles' width of shelf space from Wally's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back