Sun Fish

That is way different from what we call a sunfish round here.

Attachments

• 1EA21335-A56D-4637-A102-86B8290A8F69.jpeg
    1EA21335-A56D-4637-A102-86B8290A8F69.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 11
Mola mola, I see them fairly often while out on the water. Usually smaller ones 2 to 4 feet, close to to the surface. Very cool.looking fish. They can grow to gigantic size.

Mola mola, I see them fairly often while out on the water. Usually smaller ones 2 to 4 feet, close to to the surface. Very cool.looking fish. They can grow to gigantic size.

I have run over them in the costal waters off California in the wee early hours in the morning, they can reach 8 feet in diameter. It's quite a shocker to run over them and often you can't go back and find them after you run over them. But you know You hit something of a sizable mass, and when your 10 miles out at 4 or 5 am its pretty unnerving to say the least. There are years when they migrate heavily up from Southern waters.

What water are you referring to? Are they an inquisitive fish?
California coastal waters. They come into various harbours along the coast, too. They are inquisitive and will come up to you if you are out in or on the water. Newbie surfers often mistake a mola's dorsal fin for that of a shark.

Last edited:
They are on the East Coast too.. Saw one off Nantucket once Guys drinking fishing trip before the tourist season. Saw a fin, then this massive flat thing. Carefully edged closer, the guide knew what it was, and it was swimming on its' side. One of the cooler things I've seen.

California coastal waters. They come into various harbours along the coast, too. They are inquisitive and will come up to you if you are out in or on the water. Newbie surfers often mistake a mola's dorsal fin for that of a shark.
Is this classified as a fish from the dinosaur (prehistoric) times?

Back