Sumitomom Tires good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sumitomo is the parent company of Dunlop so basically you are getting a Dunlop tire which cant be bad.

you could say the the same thing about the caviler and the corvette but that wouldnt be any more true then sumotimo and dunlop.

Check out Tire Rack's track tests and driver surveys and reviews. Some are pretty decent value for money in their class (e.g. HTR200 as a HP summer tire -- my car's PO, a retired Pirelli R&D guy, picked these for his Lancia Beta coupe and is "confident that [he] can out run anyone else in cornering speed on a race track who has 5.5" rims and street tires"), others less so (e.g. Srixon4 for HP A/S).

Depends on the line.

On the exterior the Sumitomo SRIXON4 looks alot like a Dunlop Sport SPA@.

But they are worlds apart.

Honestly, please do not buy the Srixon4...the Sumitomo HTRZ + prolly great as a summer tire...same for the HTR.

Ice and snow you better watch it!

The Sumitomo HTRT touring radial is not bad and is comparable to the GY Weatherhandler LS(SEARS)/GY REGATTA 2/VIVA TOURING (WALMART)

GY, DP, and Sumitomo are part of the same company, the chain of operations I am not exactly sure of.

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
Anyone have eperience with Sumotimom tires for a daily driver? Sears sell them at what looks like a reasonable price. Ed

If they are the Sumitomo SRIOXN pass. The reason is two fold:

1) Very poor wet traction
2) They start a little noisy and it only gets worse as they wear. I was amazed of difference between winter tires (quiet) compared to these.

A good aspect is yes price, I had four installed for $240 on my Civic by Sears. I was happy to part with the car and these tires. I will never buy cheap tires again for a car after owning these.

Look at http://www.tirerack.com for user reviews also. Take with a grain of salt however.

I have the Summitomo HTR Z and I am not one bit satisfied with them. They all are deformed or something. I have balanced them the conventional way and with a "sophisticated" strobe light system......my car shakes bad. It gets a bit better after prolonged driving.

Scroll down and you can see my response to this tire. It's the very first one.

I have 20,000 on the htr+ tire on my miata. Looks less than half worn and been a great tire so far. I think Sumitomos are great tires for the money. Check out tire rack and see what people who have used a given tire for 20,000+ miles have to say. They can give you a real good idea of how the tire will perform. Just remember to check feedback only on people with lots of miles on a given tire.

I bought a set of Sumitomo H-rated tires for my VW Scirocco - $35 per tire - I was blown away by the quality of these tires. They are not M+S rated but are a very good non-snow tire. They balanced with little weight, are very round and smooth rolling, good wet and dry grip, and apparently will last me about 40K miles which is OK by me for a high performance type tire. The sidewall is pretty stiff and they give excellent turn-in.

I would buy them again for $50 each!

I have HTR+ on my Grand Prix for the summer. They are very nice tires with excellent water traction. I have snow tires, so I haven't tested their snow traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back