Suitable MTF for 1997 Nissan p/u

I've got a customer that wants me to service the transmission in his truck - would like to go with a syn if possible as he complains of tough shifting the first few miles in the winter, but locally available GL4 oils are a bit tricky to come by. What options do I have? Will oils like syncromesh or other dedicated M/T oils work in this?

Here is the fluid chart out of my reference material

UnitGrade° CelsiusViscosityNote
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
-1 To 38​
90​
-​
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
-12 To 29​
85W​
-​
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
Above 10​
140​
-​
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
Below 10​
75W​
-​
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
Below 29​
80W​
-​
RS5R30A (4WD)​
GL-4​
Below 38​
75W-90, 80W-90​
OG2​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
-1 To 38​
90​
-​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
-12 To 29​
85W​
-​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
Above 10​
140​
-​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
Below 10​
75W​
-​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
Below 29​
80W​
-​
RS5R30A (RWD)​
GL-4​
Below 38​
75W-90, 80W-90​
OG2​
OG2: SAE 75W-90 is preferred.​

I, and my friends with manuals, all had great luck with RedLine MT90, in various vehicles requiring GL-4.

The one friend that always sticks with Amsoil had to change his MTF more often than rest of us with RedLine. For some reason Amsoil made his tranny more audible and caused notchy shifting, which always went away instantly with fresh fluid, but came back in 15k miles usually. Could be just his vehicle in particular, but I believe there were more people on BITOG with similar complaint about Amsoil MTF.

The only 75w90 GL4 dedicated MTF available on the shelf of a US store is Liqui Moly #20012 at Napa

If you're willing to spend the money, there's the Castrol-made Motorcraft XT-M5-QS

Synchro Shift II is what we used at the Nissan dealership. Synchromesh is another one. DO NOT use GL5 fluid, you will be replacing synchros. I can tell you from seeing it first hand.

BG syncroshift is too thin. I wouldn't use it. Dealership should smarten up and use an appropriate grade of MT fluid. BG is a previously 75w80 or now a 75w75 depending on SAE J306 revision.

I also would not using any of the Syncromesh fluids that are not GL-4 rated.

Should also verify capacity of fluid. Way back when, and probably years before this vintage, some Nissan MT transmission cases had improper placed fill/check plugs. I currently have a new vehicle with an improperly place overflow check level plug and it gets a measured amount of fluid.

BG syncroshift is too thin. I wouldn't use it. Dealership should smarten up and use an appropriate grade of MT fluid. BG is a previously 75w80 or now a 75w75 depending on SAE J306 revision.

I also would not using any of the Syncromesh fluids that are not GL-4 rated.

Should also verify capacity of fluid. Way back when, and probably years before this vintage, some Nissan MT transmission cases had improper placed fill/check plugs. I currently have a new vehicle with an improperly place overflow check level plug and it gets a measured amount of fluid.
That’s what we used in all our manual transmissions. It fixed the shifting issues in the famous CD001 and CD006 z trans. We have also used ATF in manuals too. Thicker fluid has not been good in Nissan manual trans.

Whatever you go with - be aware that some fluids claim to be both GL-4 & GL-5 rated. Do not use those. GL-5 destroys brass/synchronizers, unless a manual transmission was made with GL-5 in mind from the factory. Do your research and use a fluid that is strictly GL4 only.

Whatever you go with - be aware that some fluids claim to be both GL-4 & GL-5 rated. Do not use those. GL-5 destroys brass/synchronizers, unless a manual transmission was made with GL-5 in mind from the factory. Do your research and use a fluid that is strictly GL4 only.

This just isn't true any more. There are many MTF's out there by well respected manufacturers that meet GL-4 & GL-5.

I used Pennzoil synchromesh fluid in my 1997 Nissan and never had any problems. I sold the truck with 318,000 miles on it and the fluid never harmed the gearbox at all. In fact, the guy that bought the truck commented that it was the best shifting vehicle he'd ever driven.

If you have UOA data to prove that, or disassembled the transmission to measure wear, I'd believe you two. How long a transmission last depends on driving style and typically not some magical fluid. How tight or loose that transmission, was when it was new, determines plenty. Fluid is not a magical fix. Just because something worked for one driving style, without destruction, doesn't mean it will work for all.

Also, you're not fixing anything by changing the fluid viscosity. Might make the shifter easier for someone who can't drive a manual transmission.... might somewhat make up for worn synchros or shifter mechanicals.... It doesn't fix the transmission or the driver's ability. That's akin to saying death cures all disease.

Gotta run.... need to eat my 20 drivthru 'burgers and smoke 2 packs of cigarettes.... One of my neighbors smoked 2packs a day for 70 years and never got lung cancer. Another weighs 400lbs, enjoys his daily dozen happy meals, and doesn't have heart disease. So, it'll work for all if us.

Thanks for the input guys, I was surprised to find out that my local NAPA stocked 1qt of the Liqui-Moly and was able to order some more, so I think I'll give that a try.

Well I ordered the 20012 mentioned in the post and received 22090. It carries a GL4/5 rating and MT1..

The 20012 is GL4+ (GL4/5) and does not mention MT1

The the bottle of the 22090 shows a picture of a manual trans, a hypoid diff and a center diff, while the 20012 shows a pic of a manual trans and a center diff. Is this stuff safe to use in the little Nissan?

Well, I called the Ford dealer and they stocked the XT-M5-QT oil, so I'll return the Liqui-Moly go-juice and use it instead.

Thanks again for your input guys.

Back