Suggestions re Preventing Curb Scuff... Sensor, Camera?

Honestly don't see the need for this type of thing and simply be more mindful of your driving/parking. It's unbelievable how many rely on backup cameras instead of actually looking in mirrors, over shoulders, etc. Yes cameras can be helpful for some instances, but humans are becoming lazier/more relaxed by the day, lmao.
I am in total agreement. If you are driving your own vehicle then you should well know it boundaries. If you are hitting things then you are not safely driving!
Reminds me of this guy at a parking lot Autocross event. This one guy in a "Z" hit and knock down almost every fricken cone on the track. Caused a 30 minute delay while we all had to go and set some 100 or more cones back up. We all wondered how he got to the event without hitting a building? LOL
I am sorry if anyone takes offence but really KNOW YOUR CAR AND HOW TO DRIVE IT use your eyes and turn your head once in a while and see what is actually all around you and more importantly know where the boundaries of your vehicle are.!

How did we ever drive cars before all the electronic warning systems....... lol

Last edited:
It's a skill that needs practice. My first time in China I was amazed how well the drivers were at parking cars and maneuvering in tight spaces. I'm almost never in tight spaces and park against a curb about 12 times a year.
Can’t you just lower your mirror and aim it at the rear tire? Many cars do this automatically when shifted into reverse. Alternative is to practice parallel parking a lot. I grew up street parking in NYC, people are amazed at my ability to parallel park without using cameras or hitting things, I’m not Fernando Alonso, just practiced a lot.

Oh, sorry, one more thing: I quote my original post, and I'd like to ask: if I had the latest Ferrari, would folks question the technology I'm asking about and say: you don't need that; you just have to practice...?

Do folks have any suggestions re putting in place some kind of curb sensor or camera... not for the front or rear of the car... but for the tires/wheels (i.e. for the side of the car)? To be sure, here, NO, I don't rash my alloy wheels. But I also have an interest in not rashing the car's sidewalls either. I can imagine that a fairly durable camera, with a small F-stop (???) / narrow field of focus that is focused centred at the rear wheel location would allow the driver to see just how close the wheel is to the curb...? Durability of same, though?

No, I will not put on curb feelers 🙁...

What about an ultrasonic device, laterally aimed, that (similar to a rear bumper sensor) beeps with increasing frequency 'til it goes "solid" at a setable distance? Accurate enough?

Any ideas out there?

Last edited:
I give up. You guys have not read the thread from the beginning ...
I did.... I am sure we are all heading to the day that the vehicle will do everything. Adding impact sensors and camera's is easy! My responses is because EVERYDAY some idiot I film on my dash and rear window cam does something stupid indicating to me they have no idea how to drive, how to drive the vehicle they are in and know almost nothing about the vehicle features and dimensions regarding the vehicle they are driving.

I see you have a road bike (that isn't no lightweight mini bike) in your signature, so I am assuming you had to take a skill test? I am willing bet you know everything about your bike?

which reminds me maybe I should update my signature to include all my bikes? lol thanks!

Meep. Your comment was not an unreasonable one; why did you edit/remove it?

No, I don't want to park exactly a gnat's eyebrow's width close-to but not contacting the curb... but I want to be close... I think the notion of possibly mounting a camera on the passenger mirror housing, and as another poster suggested, having the OEM back-up camera two-way switchable with the mirror-mount camera might be the ticket. I didn't know Tahoe's and the like had that feature. Thx.
I appreciate the candor/respect. my response had some defensiveness in it, and I’d rather see folks get lifted up than beaten down.

I see you have a road bike (that isn't no lightweight mini bike) in your signature, so I am assuming you had to take a skill test? I am willing bet you know everything about your bike?

which reminds me maybe I should update my signature to include all my bikes? lol thanks!
You're willing to bet I know everything about my bike? Well, I've had it since Oct '93; I had to assemble it from partways knocked-down and in the crate (no instructions of course; it's Italian you know), and....
of course I don't know everything about my bike...

I have had my bike license for ~2 weeks less than my Class 5... i.e. about 42 years - but pity the fool who thinks he knows, fully, how to ride a bike safely. M/C riding is fraught with risk from unseeing- and unhearing incompetent motorists (maybe relying on safety-grannies?)... and you can never know enough about strategies to keep safe. My age demographic has a particularly sobering set of safety stats: old guys who think they know what they're doing on a bike. Dead wrong.

Last edited:
The SmartRim looks good for my needs but the only information I can find is from when it was introduced in 2015. Does it still exist? My problem is hitting curbs and damaging my right front tire. I would like a camera that would alarm me when I'm close to such a curb.

The SmartRim looks good for my needs but the only information I can find is from when it was introduced in 2015. Does it still exist? My problem is hitting curbs and damaging my right front tire. I would like a camera that would alarm me when I'm close to such a curb.
I believe that link only referred to a potential start of production of that product. I don't think it made it into production.

I suspected that might be the case, or that it didn't succeed after it was introduced, since I wasn't able to find any more recent references to it. So I'm wondering if there is something available now to meet my needs.

I am careful when I park and have no need for curb sensors. Vehicles have too many add on doohickies the way it is without adding on another expensive camera or piece of garbage to go bad.

I am careful when I park and have no need for curb sensors. Vehicles have too many add on doohickies the way it is without adding on another expensive camera or piece of garbage to go bad.
I have the front and rear parking sensors on both cars and the camera on the other. They're both still good, no problems and one is 10 years old and the other is 14. I don't worry about things going bad. If they do I'll fix it. Meanwhile I've enjoyed using them for years.

Back