Suggestions? Popped off my valve cover to find this....

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW, I've used MMO in my oil a few times to help alleviate a stuck bypass valve in the oil pump (the engine was quite old and neglected, probably massive sludge). It did seem to help.

offtopic.gif
I'm beginning to wonder if BITOG should be listed as a Controlled Substance- this board is very, VERY habit-forming!!!!!!!!!!

OH man...this is the perfect situation to prove or disprove, my pet theory....that Auto RX works...you already have the before shots...do a 2X treatment of Auto RX....do some compression tests prior...then afterwards....

My personal opinion is, there will be very little difference....but that would be the PERFECT test bed...

Actually this would be a project i would like to see Auto RX just into and discount/furnish this product....afterall, its SO good....this would be great advertising!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it worked....

Okay, NOW i see why they WOULDNT do it...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

What's wrong with the number of before and after pictures that are already archived here, LV/RN?? One such test was rather comprehensive in documentation.

What part about this is any less convincing than what you're suggesting?? Aaron's testing .....and more web page web page

Aaron was quite critical of Auto-Rx

I like the idea of short OCI with MMO or seafoam in the oil... ARX is effective but, some of us just can't afford it.

quote:

Originally posted by LVHospiceRN:
OH man...this is the perfect situation to prove or disprove, my pet theory....that Auto RX works...you already have the before shots...do a 2X treatment of Auto RX....do some compression tests prior...then afterwards....

My personal opinion is, there will be very little difference....but that would be the PERFECT test bed...

Actually this would be a project i would like to see Auto RX just into and discount/furnish this product....afterall, its SO good....this would be great advertising!!!!!!!!!!!!! if it worked....

Okay, NOW i see why they WOULDNT do it...

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

I was thinking the same thing. I might have to ask Frank if he could send a couple bottles my way for free, or I'll pay shipping or something IF i agree to comp test Before & After, maybe pop the cover off for a few more photo's before & after & oil pan before after.

i've seen that aaron guys 240sx documented thingy. He sure took a lot of pictures and lots of intervals. I'd just take before & afters, maybe before, after 1 treatment, after 2 treatments. Plus that 240sx's engine wasn't even half as bad as mine is in terms of build up. He only had minor deposits on top of his camcaps, mine has like a 1/2" thick coating of sludge everywhere
frown.gif

+ The difference is, Frank could host the pics on his site if he wants to, that aaron guy has his own website that frank links to. Frank could then word/write whatever he wants to promote his product.

Thats assuming it works
wink.gif

Well, one could ask ..what didn't work in Aaron's test? Dirt/sludge/deposits are deposits, correct? What would make anyone think that your situation is any different? That is, is your "stuff", aside from perhaps the amount, any type of "special stuff" that would resist removal? Sure it would be nice to get your engine cleaned for nothing ..but I don't see how it would serve anything other than your needs. Some of our more critical members are convinced of the worth of this product.

That is, what's in it for anyone except you?

Anyone who doesn't think that Auto-Rx is worth anything ...don't buy it. For me it was a choice of throwing $25 in the street (buying 1.5 pizzas) or sending it to Frank. Frank won. I'm glad he did.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Varnish is not the big issue here. Cost is an issue with this thread-starter. We all know how well Auto-RX works. Offer the guy some cheaper, safe remedies that won't take this crud off in globs. My suggestion is at low cost that's spread out for the next few months.

Exactly! I do have the money to spend on AutoRX, but I'm simply not willing to pay $70 for 3 treatments when I've used it in the past & wasn't too satisfied. Makes sense right?

This car isn't meant to be my "baby". I honestly could give a crap less if the varnish or whatnot was removed. I just don't want sludge coming loose & clogging a port or the oil pump, causing an engine failure.

This car doesn't need to last me more than a year. It is only a temporary car until I get a real 9-5 job w/my recently aquired degree in comp sci. Until then I might as well make some money working pizza delivery (what i had been doing the past 5 summers), so I bought this car to save gas & wear & tear on my MX-3.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I think I'm going to pop the valve cover & oil pan, scrape off what I can, then run that MMO combination a few have recommended to get rid of stuff the scraping left behind.

I'd just leave that sludge right where it is. Kinda like "encapsulating" leaded paint or asbestos. How's the compression? If the rings aren't stuck, I wouldn't mess with them either. Just use normal changes with any current API compliant 10-30 such as WallyWorld SuperTech.

My $0.02

All of the products I listed are under $5 and can be found at either Walmart,AutoZOne or a local Amsoil distributor! B-12 CHemtool is the most potent of the bunch and I often used a full pint of it once ever 3-4 years in a car for 15 minutes just to make sure they are clean!

If you are worried about large clumps I would go with what I think is the least effective of the bunch but the safest. You can substitute one quart of MMO ($3.20 a quart not pint at Walmart)for one quart of oil. You run it the entire oil change interval. MMO is very mild and I doubt that it could ever dislodge a large chunck of sludge. A lot of people over the years have run 1 quart of MMO in their engines with no ill effect. It is even recomended on the label. It should not burn off and it never has when I have used it. I would use a good 15W40 like Delvac 1300 or Delo wich can also be found at Walmart for about $5-$6 a gallon with it. After 6-12 months of doing this yank the cover off and lets see what we see!!!

I like WavinWayne's suggestion.... with a slight variance since cost is a factor here.

If you want a tad thinner oil using his experiment, use any SL or SM 10W-40 sale oil or cheap-but-good Super Tech oil at 99 cents with a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. At 1000 miles, put in a half-bottle of Engine Flush & let idle for 20 minutes. Afterwards, give it a couple of medium engine revs' (half-way down on the gas pedal) and shut it down & change it.

Do this at 1000 miles with a filter change 3 times. Should help alot.

I think Auto-Rx is preety well proven to work on sludge. I think it would be better to test things like Lube Control,B-12 Chemtool,Eagle Engine Flush,Amsoil Engine FLush($4.90),Risolene,MMO etc... seeing how none of these others have any documented results when used as directed! I am thinking that a test like this would prove how well LC and ARX actualy work compared to the competition!

To be honest I doubt MMO is going to do much as it is not that powerful and did not touch my varnish in the old Buick at all!

Varnish is not the big issue here. Cost is an issue with this thread-starter. We all know how well Auto-RX works. Offer the guy some cheaper, safe remedies that won't take this crud off in globs. My suggestion is at low cost that's spread out for the next few months.

We've already seen that AutoRX works and that's been well documented at an originally skeptical user's website.

How about the claim that HDEOs like Delvac 1300 and Delo 400 are good for cleaning up an engine? Do a couple-three short intervals with one of those with before and after pictures. That would help put that myth to bed.

yes try another modality, maybe try the amsoil flush see how it looks up top, after 2 or three of those with short oil change intervals to follow. Pop the cover when your done and viola see if the stuff works. I would get a 4 foot pool and soak that thing in acetone/kerosene/xylene and any other solvent you can find. LOL, that thing is nasty!

AUTO RX, do however many treatments they reccomend if your not happy get your money back its that simple..............Why am i the first one to say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back