Suggestions on where to find a closeout of higher end LVT- style/ color does not matter

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have to replace about 2,000 square feet of laminate flooring in a home we rent. We may end up selling the home if possible, past tries of selling the home have been unsuccessful- due to lack of comps for appraisal (one appraiser took a comp from 60 miles away).

I am looking to purchase 2200 square feet of higher end LVT. The flooring can be anywhere from Florida to Texas to New York to Iowa. I will drive and get it, and can pay in cash. I don't care what the color is, etc. I do care that it be higher quality- enough to withstand a tenant abuse, and nice enough so if the house is put on the market for the sale the flooring will help with the sale.

Any suggestions on a flooring liquidator in the SouthEast, South, NorthEast, or Midwest?

Hi @GON -

I have been a lurker for a while but created an account to respond to this. You could try Jacob's Supply. This business is in Michigan, right at the Ohio border. I have no financial interest in the business, but know the owner and can attest that his team is very focused on customer service. I have purchased flooring here multiple times.

He deals with a fair amount of closeout flooring and might be able to help. Might be worth a call.

Reactions: GON
Hi @GON -

I have been a lurker for a while but created an account to respond to this. You could try Jacob's Supply. This business is in Michigan, right at the Ohio border. I have no financial interest in the business, but know the owner and can attest that his team is very focused on customer service. I have purchased flooring here multiple times.

He deals with a fair amount of closeout flooring and might be able to help. Might be worth a call.

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks for posting on BITOG. Forums like BITOG maintain relevance by people starting threads and responding to threads. As long as we all post- BITOG will be a great, relevant site. I have been a member of a few awesome forums, that had a slow down in new threads and posts, and those forums are no longer relevant.

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion.

And thanks for posting on BITOG. Forums like BITOG maintain relevance by people starting threads and responding to threads. As long as we all post- BITOG will be a great, relevant site. I have been a member of a few awesome forums, that had a slow down in new threads and posts, and those forums are no longer relevant.
That's a great point. I know very little about motor oil, but do my own oil changes on 4-6 different cars in any given year. This forum has been essential to exponentially increase my knowledge of the topic. I have been introduced to used oil analysis, distributors that make house brand oils (with great UOAs), and where to find deals. I will be happy to contribute when and where I can.

what prices would you consider worthy for a 1k mile round trip?

looking for 5mm? 20mil wear layer? You almost need to be a pro to buy this.

edit: just reading about this stuff is confusing.. 20mil wear layer etc.
Then of course what is actually good.
some specs are trumpeted but in reality its like saying " YOUR CAR COMES WITH 4 ROUND BLACK TIRES" on the window sticker.

Last edited:
what prices would you consider worthy for a 1k mile round trip?

looking for 5mm?

edit: just reading about this stuff is confusing.. 20mil wear layer etc.
I have yet to figure out the difference between the mil levels- yes confusing. I watched a youtube earlier today from a floor dealer that did a pretty good job explaining it- I am just not sharp enough to absorb it.

I saw a lot on facebook for 3200 sq feet of Shaw Impact Washed Oak for $6070, and one had to take the entire lot. It is more floor than I need, but happy to take the entire lot, that is how he wanted to sell it. I asked him what his best price was for paying cash, and pickup tomorrow (in Alabama). He said $6000. I passed.

Last edited:
Peak Auctions use to have outstanding details on some building materials, as long as you could adjust the requirement to the materials being auctioned.

As years went by, they started selling more stuff acquired from China, and less stuff from builders selling off material that had an error in the order, such as a new construction house that the all the custom windows came in the wrong color.

I also found that the "stuff" the interested me typically was auctioned off at the end of Sunday, so I would sit a the auction for two days. Finally, Peak had a buyer premium, taxes, credit card fee, etc. Came to the conclusion that Home Depot was a better value.

Peak would auction many new items, like power washers, that sold for less at Lowes. People can get nutty at auctions.

From what 5 min of research can find..
luxury is usually wider planks, 7mm or higher thickness and 20mil or higher wear layer.

mainstream would be around 5mm thick and there are various "wear layer" thicknesses available..

I am guessing you would want low end luxury or high end mainstream type product with 20mil wear layer.

but then you have luxury 4.4mm with 6mil wear layer.. so good luck with the words and focus on the specs.

Reactions: GON
Back