Suggestions on oil for 1987 Porsche 930 Turbo..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this app, I see GC as a much newer AND better oil than intended for use by the oem. I suspect in his cool climate, with a turbo, it may be the ideal oil. Possibly better then M1 0w-40, which isn't really a 40 anyway, so I don't see the point in making a distinction, considering this engine will shear the 0w-40 below the GC 0w-30's visc.

Hi,
AJ - The original (GC) Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30 was indeed Porsche Approved and Listed - from its inception in 1996 until 1999 when it was dropped. This period included API Quality formulation changes from SH to SL (alwsys ACEA A3/B3-96). It failed in Porsches extended HTHS/100C stay in grade viscosity tests I believe

I am very familiar with this lubricant, being involved with its introduction and use in Australia. Its original formulation led to my only truely lubricant related engine failure - in a VW 2 litre engine - it was then VW500 & 505 approved too. It's use was dropped by MB and VW here shortly after

I concede that the latest versions of "GC" may be better - still though they do not appear on the Porsche "air cooled" List. I would not use it here - I would use Castrol Edge 0W-40 or M1 0W-40 istead though - but IMO there are better lubricants around for this application! A 5W-40 HDEO for instance

Nice car. I wouldn't use a 30-weight oil in Turbo Porsche.

M1 5W-40, TDT or D1, in 'pre SM/CJ-4' formulation, would be my choice. M1 15W-50 would also be a good oil, like Doug has said.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
AJ - The original (GC) Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30 was indeed Porsche Approved and Listed - from its inception in 1996 until 1999 when it was dropped. This period included API Quality formulation changes from SH to SL (alwsys ACEA A3/B3-96). It failed in Porsches extended HTHS/100C stay in grade viscosity tests I believe

I am very familiar with this lubricant, being involved with its introduction and use in Australia. Its original formulation led to my only truely lubricant related engine failure - in a VW 2 litre engine - it was then VW500 & 505 approved too. It's use was dropped by MB and VW here shortly after

I concede that the latest versions of "GC" may be better - still though they do not appear on the Porsche "air cooled" List. I would not use it here - I would use Castrol Edge 0W-40 or M1 0W-40 istead though - but IMO there are better lubricants around for this application! A 5W-40 HDEO for instance

Doug I am really curious how M1 0W-40 did in those extended HTHS/100C stay in grade viscosity tests..since many UOAs show that is shares down to 30wt?

Hi,
zoomzoom - OT, well there are many UOAs on here including my CLKs' that show that M1 0W-40 stayed "in grade" too!

I can't tell you the Porsche and Mercedes-Benz/AMG test results but they have been using the product now for nearly a decade! And other have hopped onto its band wagon too!

One of the most popular viscosities I saw in Europe (especially Germany) during a recent visit was 0W-40 - from all of the major Oil Companies. This viscosity is the rising star - M1 0W-40 led the way

Originally Posted By: zoomzoom

Doug I am really curious how M1 0W-40 did in those extended HTHS/100C stay in grade viscosity tests..since many UOAs show that is shares down to 30wt?

HT/HS is at +150c.

M1 0w-40 shears and then rethickens from oxydization for the end of the sequence. I prefer to use GC, that's just me though.

Hi,
AJ - The Porsche extended viscosity test protocols are carried out at both 100C and 150C

There is no evidence of excessive/irregular oxidation in any on my UOAs with M1 0W-40 - they are in the UOA section

OMG, please post a picture of your 930 Turbo.
20.gif

That was my dream car 20 years ago.

Your 930 with Turbo probably takes 13 quarts or 12 liters of oil. That gets expensive. If you have the money, run either Mobil-1 15w-50 or shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic oil. if you have some money, run a mix of 50% either of those two with 50% diesel 15w-40 oil. if you are poor, then run 15w-40 diesel dino oil: Diesel trucks have turbos.

In my 84 911 I ran whatever name brand 20w-50oil was on sale for $1 qt.

I love those cars. I have very fond memories of my friend's 930 slantnose in highschool. Don't know how he managed to afford it back then but taking one of those to highschool when it was nearly new was a unique experience.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I love those cars. I have very fond memories of my friend's 930 slantnose in highschool. Don't know how he managed to afford it back then but taking one of those to highschool when it was nearly new was a unique experience.

What is really unique would be a 16 year old that had that experience and lived to tell about it! From everything I've read, a 930 is not a forgiving car to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back