Suggestions for ls1 using my stash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i know im over thinking this a little but isnt that the fun of this forum?

I am getting ready to change the oil on my ls1. Its in a weekend fun car so mostly sits in the garage except for weekend drives and a handful of track days per year. Maybe 2k miles a year but sees will see high rpm usage, 4-7k constantly for 20 minute stints this weekend and makes about 425whp.

Oil filter fram ultra
Id like to get rid of some of this vr1 if its possible. Or should i just avoid it..
So far the Normal oil has been M1 ow40 with great results but dont have any right now.

What i have in my stash now:
3qts vr1 syn 20-50 sl
3qts vr1 syn 10w30 sl
3 qts vr1 dino 50 (states exceeds sn/sm/sl )
4 qts Val syn HM 0w-20
4 qts val syn 5w-40 power mst
4 Edge 0w40 sn
6 edge 5w-50 sn
8 M1 15w50 sn

thanks!

I guess I'd use the Edge 0W40 up and finish the fill with the 5W50.
If you're not planning to run it all when it get really cold, then the M1 15W50 would also be a good call to my way of thinking.

The valvoline 0w-40 MST is more like the M1 0w-40 (high calcium, no magnesium, plenty of Mo/B).

The 0w-40 Edge is a low calcium, high magnesium oil. If you've had good luck with the M1 0w-40, then try the Valv-MST next. Not familiar with the VR1 oils, but maybe mixing in 1-2 quarts could be ok...especially just before a track day.

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
Thanks for the ideas. i went with;
3 qts vr1 syn 20-50
3 qts val syn hm 0w20

That's where I would have gone...

Then 2 changes of (trying to cut back the VII a little bit with a shear stable mono)
3 qts Castrol 5W50
2 qts Castrol 0W40
1 qt Valvoline straight 50

Then
3 qrts VR1 10W30
3 qrts M1 15W50

Then
4 qrts MST 5W40
2 qrts M1 15W50

leaves you (if I've done the math OK, one 0W20 and 1 15W50)...mix them now for top offs...

Seriously, I'd do a Sasha Gray blend, mix them all in a bucket, so that they are all the same...

Originally Posted By: cool_breeze
Thanks for the ideas. i went with;
3 qts vr1 syn 20-50
3 qts val syn hm 0w20

Despite the same mfg name, I think those have very different add packs...one without sodium, and one with sodium.

Mix the 20w50 vr1 with the 10w30 vr1 for one fill.

Mix 3 qts Val 0w20 syn with the VR1 50 for another fill.

Mix the 4 qts Val 5w40 MST with the last qt of Val 0w20 for another fill. Sweeten this fill with M1 15w50 to top up.

Mix the 4 qts of Edge 0w40 with 2 qts of Edge 5w50 for one fill.

Buy thinner oils to mix with the remaining 50-weight Edge and M1.

Time for another oil change. This last batch doesnt have much for miles but its almost been two years and ive had the valve covers off so there probably other insoluables in there.
I know i didnt listen too well last time becuase i was in a time crunch but no hurry now.
Suggestions?
12 PU 0-40
edge ti 6, 10-40 and 6, HM
6- edge ti 5-50
3- m1 10-40hm and 6, 15-50
2gal delo 400 5-40
1- val 0-20 syn hm
3- val 0-40 mst
1- val racing syn 10-30

What is this strange compulsion you have for 50-weight oils?
smile.gif
I don't see anything in your signature that requires it.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
smile.gif

i buy them during az's yearly closeout

Originally Posted by cool_breeze
Originally Posted by A_Harman
smile.gif

i buy them during az's yearly closeout

You may have an undiagnosed case of Oil Compulsive Disorder, and affliction that unfortunately assails many posters on BITOG. The prime symptom is uncontrolled buying of large quantities of oil on clearance, even if you don't have a vehicle that can use it.

Thinking of 3 qts edge HM ti 10w-40 with 3 qts of Rotella t5 10w30.
Both have very strong ad packs.
I dont want to waste an expensive oil like this edge for low mileage....thoughts?

By my count, you have 5 oil fills-worth of various 40-weights. That could last you for nearly 40k miles. Then you can start mixing the leftovers.
On BITOG the normal rule is only to mix oils from the same manufacturer to minimize the possibility of additive clash. So you can mix all of the Valvoline stuff to get 5 qts of a borderline thin 40-weight, then top up the fill with 1 qt of the leftover Delo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back