Suggestions for a novice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help folks.. Can anyone suggest steps to be taken for laying to thick coat of wax for winter protection? or in detailing in general? We get bombarded out here in winter with tons of salt so needless to say I have a week or so left before I can get my 07 mitsu outlander ready.

BTW, I am looking for steps (washing, claying / polishing, waxing, sealing etc) and order in which those steps are performed. While you are at it, I would appreciate good products that I need to buy (and tools to apply them?). I tried searching the net, but couldnt find any article that is cohesive..

Originally Posted By: CentralNY1
Here's the way I do it:
Wash, claybar, wash again, wax and finally polish/buff.

Here is another way:

Wash, clay, polish, sealant and/or wax.

A polish will remove any wax or sealant. Really you are good to go polish after claying. Alot of people also clay as they wash. Claying is good to do twice a year, Polishing 2-3 times a year (depending on what defects you've got, Waxing/Sealing can be done on a monthly basis, but do you really need to wax that often? Just depends on the product you are using. A good Sealant will last at least 3 months, a good Wax 2-3 months.

Seth,

Do as above and read autopia or autogeek. I would put two coats of Collinite 845 or 476S on the car and it would be good to go. This is assuming you have washed, clayed and polished if required before waxing. You can also add a good sealant before the wax such as Duragloss 105, WolfGang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant or Klasse.

The short and skinny of what I do, assuming your paint is in fairly decent shape, is to wash, clay, polish, sealant, wax (usually two coats). I do this routine every six months. Between this routine I wash the car once a week and wax once a month. Between the waxings I may go over it with a quick detail type spray, but sometimes I just don't care. As usual, YMMV.

Well it depends on how much effort you want to put into it...

You can wash then clay (if needed) then apply a polish (rotary or PC) then wax with something like Collinite 476 applied thin and you should be good to go for at least 6 months.

If you're looking for a 1 step polish/wax I like NuFinish, it's easy to apply and remove and last at least 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back