Suggestions for 2018 TT RS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gatorfast
Originally Posted By: edyvw
You actually using FE in your M3?

Yep thats what BMW recommends believe it or not. Although the manual is broad and states 0w30 is preferred with 5w30 as an alternate, it also says any LL-01 of LL-01 FE oil is fine.

I know they recommend 0W30 FE. Reason for that is that 99% of M3 buyers are spoild roch kids that like to nail it down immediately. I was asking why would you do it when you know better? In Europe LL-04 is strictly recommend or LL-01 in European countries like Russia where sfur levels are higher. I would just ise Castrol 0W40 or BMW TPT M 0W40 which has NOACK of 8.5%.

Is there that much of a difference between 0w30 and 0w40? My M3 is my daily driver and sees 90% highway miles. I don't think I am lacking any protection by running the recommended 0w30.

You wanna say your M3 does not see redline?
Reason why BMW moved to 0W30 FE is:
1. Better fleet MPG to satisfy EPA
2. Faster warm up for grocery getting folks.

And yeah there is difference in HTHS which is what is important if you running turbo, especially those turbos in M3.
Personally, if I had any BMW gas I would not run anything thinner then 0/5W30 LL-01, and probably would run Castrol 0W40 period like I do in Tiguan.

And yeah there is difference in HTHS which is what is important if you running turbo, especially those turbos in M3.
Personally, if I had any BMW gas I would not run anything thinner then 0/5W30 LL-01, and probably would run Castrol 0W40 period like I do in Tiguan.

Oh no my M3 def sees redline regularly. But right now my car is under warranty and BMW fills is up with 0w30 when it goes in for service so thats what ill stick with, even for my interim changes. Also, I would think the fuel economy and warm up times between 0w40 and 0w30 would be negligible.

I have yet to see anyone post a harmful UOA using the BMW branded 0w30 so not sure why you think it does not offer sufficient protection. I am sure you know that BMW recommended 10w60 for the previous M3 so they are certainly not shy about recommending a heavier oil when necessary.

Oh no my M3 def sees redline regularly. But right now my car is under warranty and BMW fills is up with 0w30 when it goes in for service so thats what ill stick with, even for my interim changes. Also, I would think the fuel economy and warm up times between 0w40 and 0w30 would be negligible.

I have yet to see anyone post a harmful UOA using the BMW branded 0w30 so not sure why you think it does not offer sufficient protection. I am sure you know that BMW recommended 10w60 for the previous M3 so they are certainly not shy about recommending a heavier oil when necessary.

The thing is between 0W30 FE and 0W40 is that they 0W30 FE is light W30 oil. It is not heavy W30 like oW30 GC or M1 5W30 ESP.
Sure, BMW is not shy recommending heavier oils (that was due to engine issues). BMW in manual states LL-01FE or LL-01. So you are good with either regarding warranty.
You have to ask yourself does BMW care what happens after CPO? BMW does not recommend transmission fluid change, while ZF, manufacturer of 6-8 speed transmissions in E70 I have recommends every 60,000 miles. Who would you trust? I changed it at 62,000 regardless that BMW says it is not necessary. I trust ZF in this case. In Europe BMW does not recommend anything lower then 3.5cp HTHS in M3 or other engines. There is reason for that.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty cautious using LL-01 FE in an M3, there's nothing to be gained except a marginal increase in fuel economy. Considering the manual also allows LL-01 there's no reason not to use something like Castrol 0W-40 or Pennzoil 5W-40.

Last edited:
The thing is between 0W30 FE and 0W40 is that they 0W30 FE is light W30 oil. It is not heavy W30 like oW30 GC or M1 5W30 ESP.
Sure, BMW is not shy recommending heavier oils (that was due to engine issues). BMW in manual states LL-01FE or LL-01. So you are good with either regarding warranty.
You have to ask yourself does BMW care what happens after CPO? BMW does not recommend transmission fluid change, while ZF, manufacturer of 6-8 speed transmissions in E70 I have recommends every 60,000 miles. Who would you trust? I changed it at 62,000 regardless that BMW says it is not necessary. I trust ZF in this case. In Europe BMW does not recommend anything lower then 3.5cp HTHS in M3 or other engines. There is reason for that.

Thanks for the info maybe ill go with the castrol 0w40 at my next interim change. Easier to get and cheaper too.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
I'd be pretty cautious using LL-01 FE in an M3, there's nothing to be gained except a marginal increase in fuel economy. Considering the manual also allows LL-01 there's no reason not to use something like Castrol 0W-40 or Pennzoil 5W-40.

Absolutely. I cannot wrap my mind around LL-01FE lubricating those two hot turbos.
Only thing I can think of is BMW going after fleet MPG requirements and really not caring what happens to engines after 100K where potential CPO is going to expire.

Or rolling on the dice at few enough people driving them anywhere near their potential.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back