Suggestions for 2000 Metro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm new to the site, and am going to be changing the fluids in my daily driver pretty soon and would like to hear some suggestions.

It's a 2000 Chevy Metro(1.3l 4 banger), automatic trans, has 112,000 miles. I drive it about 3 hours a day, about half of that time is sticking right around 55mph, the rest can be somewhat stop and go. Right now it is using a little bit of oil, and I'm not sure if it's leaking it or burning it. It used a quart over the past 4 months or so.

Oil suggestions?
ATF suggestions?
Oil treatments?
Anything else?

Thanks!
Dave

Oh, and I do sometimes drive it kind of hard(as funny sounding as that may be considering the car in question). I have some friends that live in a hilly area with lots of windy roads that tend to bring out my inner rally car driver.
smile.gif

If you are in CA, 10W30 or 10W40 would be fine.How much oil is lost in how long a time frame?

It uses about a quart over 4 months. Also, I live in the Sonoma area where the weather is usually very nice(temps mostly in the 50's-70's), and this is where the car sees 99% of it's time on the road.

Since I'm new to this stuff, can you please type the full name of whatever product you suggest to make it a little easier for me to figure out.

Thanks again guys!
Dave

Wow, I always thought of Pennzoil as the worst stuff you could buy. A quick search shows that some think very highly of it. It sounds like I have some reading to do.

I just remembered I actually have a jug of Valvoline MaxLife(5w-20 I think) sitting around somewhere. Would that be a decent choice?

Maxlife (5w20) would be a good choice, if you do a lot of short trips. I'd leave the 5w20 alone personally. Stick with either 5w30 or 10w30.

Pennzoil has a bad reputation that it can't shake, back in the 70's their basestock oil had a lot of wax that would separate from the oil. A lot of companies where getting their basestock from the same source but pennzoil got the most flack. I don't use it though because of the price.

Personally i would either fix the leak or just change the oil every 3500 miles with supertech oil and a napa silver filter.

Last edited:
Most any oil that is API SM/SN certified in the viscosity specified by the manufacturer would be sufficient. A quart in 4 months is pretty minor and not worth concerning yourself with.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Originally Posted By: spasm3
pyb or penn hm

PYB = Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (conventional) penn hm = Pennzoil High Mileage

+1

Heck, in Cali, you could probably run straight-30 year-round without issue.

It would work well in a high-revving, all highway driven car.

Originally Posted By: LittleblockChevy
Wow, I always thought of Pennzoil as the worst stuff you could buy. A quick search shows that some think very highly of it. It sounds like I have some reading to do.

I just remembered I actually have a jug of Valvoline MaxLife(5w-20 I think) sitting around somewhere. Would that be a decent choice?

It is some of the best you can buy.

This board recommends a lot of M1, PP/PU, or boutique oils (AMSOIL, RL, RP.)

Id put some 5W-20 in there. The debate between 20 and 30weight is fast and furious.. but with a 1.4L engine i think its ideal. Little engines 2.0L and less tend to bring out my urge to use a 20.

One of my coworkers has this exact car your speaking of. Very good car and it has given him a lot of good years so far. In your case I would use a good syn like Pennzoil Platinum and take it out to at least 7.5k. If your adding oil as you say then your pretty safe for that 7.5 since your replenishing the additives anyway with top offs. For that little 3spd I highly suggest you get the best ATF your car is allowed to run. Always run what fluid is spec'd for your ATF and you'll be safe but if you can run AMSOIL or Royal Purple ATF your doing yourself some good. Fresh fluid can do some wonders for a sloppy transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back