Suggestion on Audi MTL? That I can find local?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 06 Audi A4 that I bought not to long ago. And one of my "things" that I do when I purchase a used car, is change pretty much all the fluids.

I actually already changed both my Gear/Front Diff oil (they are shared) and rear diff. Both with RP 75w90. Let's just say, that I should have done more research. RP claims it is safe on yellow metals, which is fine. It is that now my shifting is not nearly as smooth. So I think I will be ok with leaving the RP in the rear diff, but I need to do something about the front and quick.

I live in Anchorage, AK. So it can be kind of hard to find certain products. No Redline/Motul/Amsoil (well maybe on the Amsoil going to check a certain shop tomorrow).

The OEM fluid is crazy crazy expensive, so I would like to at least try to find an alternative. I did find Lubro-Moly at NAPA, but it is GL5.

Any help would be great, I plan on changing it out this weekend.

Actually, Red Line MTL (75W-80) works fine in the '96 Audi A4 (B5), especially in colder climates. I use MT-90 (75W-90) GL-4 lube in the transmission (and in the torsen), because I'm not in a cold climate. In the rear differential I use Red Line 75W-90 Gl-5 lube.

Ask LM if their GL-5 rated product (which viscosity, by the way?) is safe in a transmission calling for a GL-4 rated lube. As has been stated by Molakule on this site, GL-4 is "obsolete."

Hey thank you for the response. Does the torsen have it's own separate fluid? As in, there is the front diff/gearbox fluid, and rear diff fluid.

If I could find redline local, I would have no problems using it. But the only dealer we had dropped it and started carrying Royal Purple. I am pretty sure the LM GL5 is yellow metal safe (which I will get confrimation on). But my concern, is that from what I have read on here. Most GL5's have some form of Limited Slip additive, and that is what can have an ill effect on shifting. Like the Royal Purple does right now.

The transmission and the torsen share the same fluid, which means you don't have to drain and fill the torsen separately, but you simply change the transmission fluid -- at least that's how it works on my '96, and I doubt Audi has changed the basic setup. It was, by the way, the rear differential fluid, in which I saw lots of wear particles, lots of "glitter."

The potential for yellow metal corrosion is supposedly only, if at all with the current fluids, an issue at high operating temperatures, which are not encountered during street driving (Especially in Alaska!
wink.gif
). If I were you, I'd call LM and ask them about suitability of their GL-5 lube. I am sure they will err on the side of caution when making a recommendation.

Yeah I am going to swing by the dealer and see about getting a little Audi Club of a America discount;)

And yeah, I did some research and no change in how the fluids are shared.

GL-5 is fine. Try Mobil 1 if you want, drain it if the syncros don't grab. I would order AMSoil or Redline.

So I have done quite a bit of research today (planning on doing the gear oil and engine oil change tomorrow, engine oil I think I will grab the Lubro-Moly 5w40).

I cannot get Redline local, nor Amsoil (and I have read that the Amsoil MTG in a Audi gear box is no good).

I picked up the OEM gear oil (for $25.00 a freaking quart and that was after a 50% discount!). Still have a bit of the mind set that if I can find something cheaper I will return it. But as the Audi dealer is a bit of a drive from my house, I figured I would at least grab it.

That Lubro-Moly you listed I can get 5 minutes away from my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back