Suggested oil for my Audi S4 (4.2 V8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, been a long-time lurker and figured it's time for me to finally post. Thanks in advance for the years of amazing discussions and data, I've really learned a lot here.

I picked up a 2005 Audi S4 about 6 months ago. This is the 4.2L V8, non-FSI version, 40V. It's a beast of a motor and my first German car (several Hondas and a Mazda previously). I'm still getting used to the crazy maintenance costs and schedule with this thing, along with the ridiculously weird and unique designs of some components. Needless to say, I want to make sure this motor stays healthy in the long-term.

1. 2005 Audi S4 quattro 6MT, 54xxx miles
2. Recommendation is 5w40 @ 10k.
3. Chicago, IL
4. Aggressive driving style. Car sees regular autocross/track time.
5. Car is not a DD. Used mainly for fun and just grocery store trips. It's 90% city.
6. None. Previous owner was meticulous. Burns almost no oil.

About 2000 miles ago I changed the oil with Lubro-Moly Synthoil 5w40 and the OEM filter. The car needs 9.5qt (!) of oil, FYI. The Audi guys all get woodies for this Lubro-Moly stuff.

For the next change, I am absolutely sending it to Blackstone since I'll know precisely how old it is, how much was added, driving style, etc.

However, I am interested in investigating different oil types. I don't mind paying for good stuff or ordering from online. There's been many discussions here about using HDEO and I'm seriously considering it because the car is driven very hard and taken autocrossing/racing regularly. It also sits for extended periods (especially in the winter) since it isn't really a DD...I take public transportation to/from work.

I have seen Rotella at the local Pep Girls but would also like info on some alternatives like Delo, Penz Ultra, Motul, etc. I'm planning to move to a 5k interval as opposed to the factory's 10k...mostly because I'm nervous about how dirty the oil will be by 10k and because I really work the motor hard. A 10k interval would be about every 14 months for me, ha. But the Blackstone test will help validate that.

Fairly certain I will be going with LCD additives as well.

Thanks in advance all. Looking forward to a great chat!

Last edited:
Amsoil HDD, Rotella and Mobil 1 TDT would do fine IMO.

Motul is also a stout product. You are using RP and Motul in your diffs so you may consider using their stuff in your engine as well
wink.gif

Yes, fortunately I can get the Delvac and Rotella locally. There's several local Amsoil dealers, and a race supply shop nearby that stocks Motul. The benefit of being in a big city...

Luckily I can get the Lubro-Moly stuff at the local NAPA in giant 5qt jugs. The Audi RS4 guys really seem to like the Lubro-Moly TopTech 5w30 (supposedly better for the FSI setup). Still, at $38/5qt *2 + $20 weird-[censored] filter, oil changes are about $100 in parts alone.

Last edited:
5w-40 and do a UOA. Rotella is great.

If you take mostly short trips, consider a 0w oil in winter.

(edit: I see your comment on winters, 5w-40 is fine above 0f if you don't drive every day)

Simple enough.

German Syntec 0w-30 is a pet oil here. Go over to the Euro Oils Forum and have a look.

If you are tracking the car, my people really like the 2-cycle oil in the gas at 500:1.

fwiw, in the FSI engines, I'd do 15w-40 every 3000 miles as long as temps permit it, and then in the cold 5w-40 HD at 5000 miles.

In your regular FI engine doing serious tracking, enough to justify a change afterwards, I'd go 15w-40 for that duty cycle during summers.

That's me.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Yes, fortunately I can get the Delvac and Rotella locally. There's several local Amsoil dealers, and a race supply shop nearby that stocks Motul. The benefit of being in a big city...

Luckily I can get the Lubro-Moly stuff at the local NAPA in giant 5qt jugs. The Audi RS4 guys really seem to like the Lubro-Moly TopTech 5w30 (supposedly better for the FSI setup). Still, at $38/5qt *2 + $20 weird-[censored] filter, oil changes are about $100 in parts alone.

where you did you find Amsoil in Chicago I'm in the city a lot and can't find any I only found Amsoil at O'Reillys in Joilet they only had a few quarts of 5w30 and 10w30 and a NAPA store around Coal City. Cause I need some gear lube and I don't feel like driving out to Coal City or ordering online.

The FSI guys have a whole different beast to deal with -- that motor has horrible carbon build-up problems. Sorta glad I don't have to deal with those issues.

I've seen the "Made in Germany" Castrol Syntec at Autozone before. Good to know it's decent stuff.

(removed non site sponsor)

He's a local Amsoil dealer.

Also, I've gone to ___ in _______, they usually stock various oils and gear lubes from Amsoil. Their shop techs have the ability to order other stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: dparm
(Removed not a site sponsor)
He's a local Amsoil dealer.

Also, I've gone to ___ in ______, they usually stock various oils and gear lubes from Amsoil. Their shop techs have the ability to order other stuff too.

Thanks for the info I'll try the place in _______.

Last edited by a moderator:
bah, the s4!! bloody awesome.

I really like Audi's styling in the last few years. IMO leading the way of the German companies in terms of styling.

As for oil. Amsoil 5w40 is great stuff! Most of the euro formulas would work pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back