Suggested Oil For 2022 Honda Civic Si - 1.5 l turbo

Hello all. I obtained a 2022 Honda Civic Si in recent weeks. I will likely be doing 10,000 kms (6k miles) oil changes if the oil life monitor falls in that range - give or take. This has the 200 hp 1.5L turbo motor. I don't drive it hard , but I do drive it a lot , mixed driving city and highway. The car makes decent power for a small engine, about 16 lbs boost, 200 hp and similar torque. We do have long cold winters here, so cold flow is important. These motors have had issues with fuel dilution in past generations when I owned one in 2016.

I want to stick to an oil that is easily found over the counter at our local auto supply store. I have currently have seen Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0w-20 and Pennzoil Ultra 0w-20 as potential candidates, Pennzoil platinum is also available but the pricing isn't much different than their Ultra. Both oils seem to be good candidates for the dreaded LSPI issues of DI small turbo motors (SP), and price wise they seem to be what I expect for a DIY oil change use. I think Amsoil 0w-20 would be a great oil in the future too but I don't have a supply of it at this time. I am still on the factory break-in oil. I don't think there is anything special about Honda branded oil so I will likely stick with OTC oils.

On past NA vehicles I always liked high moly oils, but I don't know if turbo DI setups do well with moly or if low SAPS is the way to go.

Thanks for any replies on this and for reading my post. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Where is "here" and how cold is cold? The difference between an oil with a 0W winter rating and one with a 5W will not be meaningful until it is about -30 or so. It's not about "flow" it's about cranking and pumpability.

What does your owner's manual state for grade?

Amsoil is too expensive for warranty OCI or 6k miles. Pennzoil and Castrol are good choices, along with virtually any other API certified Ow20. Supertech is good, but with a slightly higher NOACK (evaporation) I'd steer clear of it. Maintenance is more important than brand of oil.

Where is "here" and how cold is cold? The difference between an oil with a 0W winter rating and one with a 5W will not be meaningful until it is about -30 or so. It's not about "flow" it's about cranking and pumpability.

What does your owner's manual state for grade?

Ontario Canada, not far from Detroit or Buffalo, so similar weather conditions as there as a comparison.

We will kiss -20 degrees during the colder parts of winter for short periods of time. The oil spec is 0w-20 only. I know any oil will work and flow within the given specs, I've read that Castrol Edge EP might have less PAO in it than say Pennzoil so perhaps cold flow might be a tad less ?

I will repeat here, any major brand will be fine. What has been your favorite brand in the past? 0w20 is a good choice.

Also to reiterate, oil flows from a bottle or jug. Inside your engine it is pumped. There is a difference.

Ontario Canada, not far from Detroit or Buffalo, so similar weather conditions as there as a comparison.

We will kiss -20 degrees during the colder parts of winter for short periods of time. The oil spec is 0w-20 only. I know any oil will work and flow within the given specs, I've read that Castrol Edge EP might have less PAO in it than say Pennzoil so perhaps cold flow might be a tad less ?
At that temperature either a 0W or a 5W winter rating will perform properly in terms of cranking and pumpability. I wouldn’t worry about base stock composition at all especially when it might come to a “tad”.

Amsoil is too expensive for warranty OCI or 6k miles. Pennzoil and Castrol are good choices, along with virtually any other API certified Ow20. Supertech is good, but with a slightly higher NOACK (evaporation) I'd steer clear of it. Maintenance is more important than brand of oil.

Thanks for the reply. Those are my two choices which tend to be on sale from time to time, and both are SP and ILSAC 6 rated, which is needed for this motor. I don't usually like to change brands back and forth so I'd like to stick to one brand going forward.

At that temperature either a 0W or a 5W winter rating will perform properly in terms of cranking and pumpability. I wouldn’t worry about base stock composition at all especially when it might come to a “tad”.

Thanks for the reply, if there is little difference in base stocks or flow than I will try to stick to one of the choices that I can easily find .

I will repeat here, any major brand will be fine. What has been your favorite brand in the past? 0w20 is a good choice.

Also to reiterate, oil flows from a bottle or jug. Inside your engine it is pumped. There is a difference.
Thanks for the reply , if there is little difference as you suggested then I should be able to use one of the choices I noted and I can find those oils consistently and usually on sale at some point in time.

Thanks for the reply. Those are my two choices which tend to be on sale from time to time, and both are SP and ILSAC 6 rated, which is needed for this motor. I don't usually like to change brands back and forth so I'd like to stick to one brand going forward.
What does changing brands do?

if you don't get that boost going a good 5w-20 being changed at 6k would be my choice as they tend to have less volatility than 0w-20 so they're a bit more stable.

I'd do a uoa with or without tbn just to check fuel dilution. if it dilutes the oil closer to 6 cst kv100 then step up a grade. If not and it stays between 7-8 i'd probably keep the grade. How long do you plan on running it. 100k then trade or 300k into the ground.

Mobil 1 AFE and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum would be my choices. They both start off at 8.8 KV100, so have the most potential for staying in grade if there's fuel dilution. Castrol Edge EP is at 8.7, so that would be my 3rd choice.

Pennzoil (SOPUS) doesn't use PAO. As @kschachn noted, base oil composition will be similar, Edge will likely be a Yubase or similar Group III, the SOPUS product will use their GTL base (also classified as a Group III). Both having the same Winter rating, cold temperature performance will be similar.

The only widely available PAO-based 0w-20 we can get here is M1 EP 0w-20, which is ~70% PAO and would thus not be an oil that you'd have to be concerned about a decline in PPD performance and slipping a Winter rating in service (oils are allowed to slip a grade in service). However, the advantage of that oil (extended drains) is likely lost on your application as you'll most likely experience fuel dilution (that engine is notorious for it) and viscosity loss, restricting OCI duration.

The last thing you want in an engine that's going to reduce the oil's viscosity via fuel dilution is a thinner oil to start with.
You may be right! I don’t know…..but it doesn’t seem unrealistic considering the the new DI engine problems with fuel dilution. Try a 3k run and do a uoa and you’ll know. Maybe it’s the new 0w-16 oil spec GF-6b that is designed for DI engines?

You may be right! I don’t know…..but it doesn’t seem unrealistic considering the the new DI engine problems with fuel dilution. Try a 3k run and do a uoa and you’ll know. Maybe it’s the new 0w-16 oil spec GF-6b that is designed for DI engines?

Direct injection gasoline engines are not new. They were around 30 years ago.

Back