Suggested Oil/Filter Combination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie here...

I have a 2012 and 2013 Honda Civic Sedan LX. The '12 has 14k on it and the '13 has 8k on it. Both cars use the same oil filter and both require an API certified premium detergent 0-20w conventional oil according to the manual. I've been changing the oil on both vehicles around 4k...mostly because that's just the way I've done it. However, seeing that it's really no longer necessary to do so and the manual recommends a 7.5k or 12 month oil change interval. I've been using Mobil 1 0-20w of the advanced fuel economy version and a Purolator Pure One (Yellow) filter.

Looking to go to the manual recommended interval of a 7.5k oil change.

These cars are not driven hard, and a split between city/highway driving.

What do you think about my current oil/filter pairing going 7.5k? I don't know if I'm more worried about the filter than the oil lasting that long or just whether they both will go that long. Would stepping up to the Purolator Synthetic filter or something like the Wix XP be a better match for this? Would there be a better oil to go along with either of these filters to go the 7.5k? Open to your suggestions.

Thanks for your time!
smile.gif

I would step up to a Fram Ultra and leave it on for 15,000 miles like its rated for. Your oil choice is fine, M1 AFE is great.

The Wix XP posted stats are only 50% efficiency at 20 microns, while the Fram Ultra is 99%+ at 20 microns. The Purolator synthetic doesn't have this data at 20 microns, and every one i see cut open looks beat on hard.

The Fram Ultra has two layers of synthetic media while the Wix XP and Puro synthetic only have 1 layer, making the Ultra superior here.

If you want to change your oil filter at every oil change, the Fram Tough Guard is rated for 99% @ 20 microns and also rated for up to 7,500 miles per change, but i strongly prefer the Ultra.

The Ultra's always look great when cut open and also produce great UOA's when showing filtration insoluables.

The PureOnes have been showing rips in the media, i would avoid them until this is addressed. Its been ongoing for awhile.

You will find much heated discussion over filters, some people get up in arms. Prepare yourself...

Let me start by saying that I was a huge Purolator fan. I used PureOnes exclusively. Look in the "Oil Filters" section of this forum, they are having problems. I am the last person to believe what I read on the Internet, but the problems have affected me personally several times. I think the filter should be changed with the oil every time, so I don't buy the "extended service" filters. That being said, I've happily converted to Wix.

I could be wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but I don't think a 0W-20 conventional oil exists. There are only synthetic blends and full synthetics.

The Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE you've been using should hold up just fine. Valvoline Synpower 0W-20, would also be a great candidate for 7,500 miles. I'd buy whatever is cheaper or makes you sleep at night.

Last but not least,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Also if you have a total dealership nearby you can buy single quarts of Toyota Genuine 0w20 which is probably my favorite 0w20 with a high viscosity index. Its is more expensive if you compare it to the Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 at Walmart for $25 a jug but if you don't shop at Walmart it's cheaper than parts stores prices.

People get up in arms because people make claims about efficiency ratings that can't prove; like the WIX XP for example.

Your choice in oil is fine, however there's also nothing wrong with trying other 0w-20 oils to see if any feel different to you. M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State, Castrol, etc. they all make excellent oils that you can pick up at good prices where ever you are.

As for your filters, I too used to be loyal to Purolator PureOne filters. For the past 6 years they've been the only filters I put on my car. However, if you look in the Oil Filter section of this forum, you'll see that people have been cutting them open and finding small tears in the filter media. I'm sure Purolator is doing everything they can to eliminate the problem, but until people stop finding tears in their media, I'm going to be using other filters.

Frame Ultra and the standard Wix filters both look really good, and while the Fram Ultra filter looks better on paper, I don't think there will be any noticeable difference over the life of your vehicle. So I'd suggest going with whichever is easier for you to get.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

AFE is a great oil, and I'd stick with it. I would use another filter because of the current issues with Purolator filters, and those issues apparently falling on deaf ears. Try a Mobil 1 filter or a Fram Ultra filter.

M1 is fine for 1 year or 7500 miles. Use any filter you want, but I'd probably make a deal at the parts counter & just buy a stash of OEM Honda filters. This paranoia over Purolator is way overblown IMO.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
M1 is fine for 1 year or 7500 miles. Use any filter you want, but I'd probably make a deal at the parts counter & just buy a stash of OEM Honda filters. This paranoia over Purolator is way overblown IMO.

And how is it paranoia if it is being witnessed by multiple people with hard evidence? I'm not trying to start a war, but this statement is a little rediculous.

Originally Posted By: tony1679

And how is it paranoia if it is being witnessed by multiple people with hard evidence? I'm not trying to start a war, but this statement is a little rediculous.

Google "torn Purolator filters" and see how many hits you get. Yeah, a real epidemic that one. I'll bet more of them get clogged by stink bugs overwintering in the box than actually suffer a tear. All these cars on the side of the road with blown engines because Purolator just can't seem to figure out how to make a filter correctly. Tow truck drivers rejoice - Walmart just got a fresh shipment of Purolators! You guys crack me up.

Do what you're doing except switch to Wix or Fram or OE filter. Purolator has problems and won't address the issue.

As is the paranoia over the efficiency ratings of the OEM Honda filters.

Thanks to everyone and your recommendations...I believe it was Memphis901 said to be prepared for the oil filter part of this discussion and was spot on. Folks definitely have their opinions on what makes a good filter...but those opinions are valuable based on your experiences so I'm good with that.

I've heard the stories on the Purolator line as well and that's the one reason why I'm considering switching away from it to something else...for those of you who have heard that as well is that on their entire line of filters, or just on their Pure One? If it's only been that one I'd consider the Purolator Synthetic in place.

Sounds like Mobil 1 AFE is a solid choice by most of your opinions. I see QSUD is on sale at Menards for $5 a quart with a $2 rebate per quart...so giving that consideration...$3 for a 'full synthetic' is pretty tough to beat in a name brand oil.

Going to have to consider the Fram Ultra as well...I've not heard good stories about their other low end filters but maybe this is a different animal completely and deserves a look.

My THANKS to all of you who took the time to reply, your insight/thoughts are appreciated!
smile.gif

G_Dub

Gdub, the Purolator's problems are affecting the entire line including classic, PureOne, Bosch premium and any other filters Purolator sources under different brands that are really a classic inside. The Bosch Distance plus isn't affected due to more robust design.

The Purolator synthetic has not yet had any issues with rips, but they are the bottom tier of synthetics imho due to the pleats getting all wavy under extended use and not having efficiency ratings available. The Fram Ultra is always straight and no rips.

As far as the Wix XP is concerned, WIX publishes their own beta ratio at 50% @20 microns and although it may increase as it loads up its still only one layer of media while the Ultra is two layers with the highest capacity and published efficiency. Also you can find them just as cheap if you shop specials or online. I was recently getting Fram Ultras off Amazon for about $6 but they raised the price.

Just throwing it out there...

Why not M1 oil filter?

---

Question about the Purolator filters - are Motorcraft filters affected, and if so, which dates?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
As far as the Wix XP is concerned, WIX publishes their own beta ratio at 50% @20 microns...

Really? Why don't you provide a link to this information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back