Suggest brake pads for 02 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is flying through brake pads. Have to admit, it's not really all her vault. She has to drive through rush hour traffic morning and evenings. A lot of brake slamming. However, I changed her original pads out in just last year and they need replacing. I think I bought them at Advanced Auto parts. The ones on there now spit out a lot, I mean a lot, of brake dusts. Anyone have any suggestions as to which ones to get at Orielly's or Autozone? These are the fronts.

The original pads were ceramic. Would you consider a set of Akebono or Hawk ceramic pads? they can be ordered from TireRack. There may also be other sources available to you in OK.

buy the top of the line autozone branded pads. They are OE material, often a grade up friction-wise, and have a lifetime warranbtee that is real.

Advanceand other places will give a "lifetime warrantee" that replaces the pads once, and if you need more than one pair, they automatically determine that there is a problem with the braking system (this is what their rep told me). AZ just replaces them when you bring used ones in.. unless theyre abnormally worn.

JMH

Are they easy on the rotors? This new Hyundai has amazing brakes, I'm wondering where to find a nice soft pad to duplicate the feel of the stockers. The stockers don't make dust, either.

The Golds good? I'm more than impressed with their battery so far!
cheers.gif

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic from Autozone. Got it for my corolla and it stops much better than OEM without the dust as high performance pads like Axxis Ultimate. I think it is a good balance for everyday driving.

Good brakes that doesn't last long is a good investment against accidents.

I've never had an issue with excessive rotor wear using Duralast Gold pads. I've only replaced one set of rotors... on my wife's Caravan because she wore the pads down to the point of rivets gouging the rotor surfaces. My 1994 Nissan Hardbody is still on the original rotors (and third set of pads) at 200,000 miles.

Yeah, quite a scam the brake shops and Stealers run on the unaware..No one, but NO ONE will slip in a set of pads and call it a day, they INSIST on grinding the rotors no matter what. These days, they're made so thin, one turn at the most and they're out of spec and have to be replaced.

Almost as good a scam, or maybe as good, as the EPA mandated AC freon "recovery" fees. Special process. Move the car out back, give the helper a golf tee, empty the system. Some process.

Crooks..

Sorry, I know:
offtopic.gif

You can query any of the auto store websites to find out what pads they carry for your car. Check also the major company sites for recommended OE style pads (Raybestos,Bendix, Wagner, and Morse). A quick look at the AZ site shows they offer the Morse Ceramic with a two year warranty, but Duralast Gold is not available for this car.

Last time I called AZ tech. helpline, they told me Morse and/or Satisfied supplied their pads. Both reputable companies.

Ceramics are supposed to be easier on rotors than semi-metalics and provide longer pad/rotor life. I believe Akebono is the OEM supplier for Honda and they are great pads - in this application, Market525 made a good suggestion, but $38 seems WAY low for ceramic pads.

Honda has 2 OEM: Akebono and Nissin, both offer good pad for durable, low dust and low noise brakes that are adequent. IMO there are better pads with compromise for better price.

Usually Akebono cost around $60 / set, $38 is very cheap. My Hawk HPS is $50 and PFC carbon metallic is $40.

Akebono claims to have invented ceramic pad technology. They are an excellent product and I have had great service from them when combined with Brembo replacement rotors. Their claims of low dust, low noise, mild rotor wear and long life have been borne out in my experience in several different vehicles.

Richard.

I have a 2001 Civic. I have had major issues with disc brakes/pads and I don't know what causes the problem. I originally replaced the factory rotors and pads with AZ rotors and factory pads. The rotors warped in 2 weeks and I drive a LOT of highway miles with normal, non-emergency braking. So, I took them back and got my money back, and went over to Advance Auto. In about a month, those rotors had warped as well. So, I went to Honda rotors. Those warped after about 2 months. Same pads are still on, however.
I can't figure it out. The original factory rotors never warped like this. A tiny bit, but not annoying.

OEM pads are almost always guaranteed to be good... cant really complain. However, I have been impressed that the AZ pads (I forget the manufacturer, but they are a major one) tend to be a setp/grade up in friction coefficient at hot and cold conditions, yet are also made material specific for the OE application.

You might look also into some of the euro brake pad makers... ATE, textar and pagid are all brands that I use with confidence on our BMW, MBs and saab. Id bet they make pads for euro hondas too.

JMH

Quote:

Performance Friction Carbon Metallic from Autozone. Got it for my corolla and it stops much better than OEM without the dust as high performance pads like Axxis Ultimate. I think it is a good balance for everyday driving.

Good brakes that doesn't last long is a good investment against accidents.

pat2.gif

I 2nd the pefromance friction CM. the have great inital bite. i run them on every car i take care of. and i run the peformance friction Z-rated on my car.
from what i have noticed those life time pads fade like crazy after repeated stops. I had the duralast golds on my old cavalier and trying to stop on the freeway from 70 i could not get the car to get into the abs at all. found myself saying stop stop stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back