Such A Good Mother

SPIDER.jpg

When I still lived in Tampa, FL. a female wood spider was walking across the kitchen floor with its babies on her back just like this one. My son was 8 years old I and told him, "DO NOT TOUCH HER!"
I went to get the RAID and he hollered, "DAD!" When I went back in there the babies were running in every direction!
"YOU TOUCHED HER!"

Wolf spider. One of my favorites. Pardosa Amentata or Pardosa Milvina. Beautiful names for a spider. Genus Lycosidae. The word Lycos means "Wolf" in Greek. The wolf spider is the only one in the world that carries her spiderlings on her back like that. Not all of the babies will survive to adulthood but the ones that do live will hitch a ride with mom until they are able to fend for themselves. The mother Wolf spider also is the only spider known to carry her egg sac on her abdomen. Wolf spiders are pretty common around here but I have not seen one in a while. I think they are pretty fascinating to have human traits like that. If I had to pick a favorite though this one would probably it, especially for a native Florida spider:

We call them Banana Spiders. Proper name is Golden Silk Orb Weaver. The females are bigger and much more colorful than the males. They can spin 6 different types of silk and they create some beautiful intricate webs. Their silk is actually stronger than kevlar. I have not seen many of these here but did see them pretty often when I lived near Tampa. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Joro spiders get here. Joro spiders look kind of like the Banana spider. I have read they are in Georgia now and will be in Florida some time in the future. I think it will be a hoot to see parachuting spiders riding on the wind, but I just hope the state can figure out a humane way to handle them. My wife does not share my fascination with spiders though, Joros or otherwise.

1660109112583.jpg

Wolf spider. One of my favorites. Pardosa Amentata or Pardosa Milvina. Beautiful names for a spider. Genus Lycosidae. The word Lycos means "Wolf" in Greek. The wolf spider is the only one in the world that carries her spiderlings on her back like that. Not all of the babies will survive to adulthood but the ones that do live will hitch a ride with mom until they are able to fend for themselves. The mother Wolf spider also is the only spider known to carry her egg sac on her abdomen. Wolf spiders are pretty common around here but I have not seen one in a while. I think they are pretty fascinating to have human traits like that. If I had to pick a favorite though this one would probably it, especially for a native Florida spider:

We call them Banana Spiders. Proper name is Golden Silk Orb Weaver. The females are bigger and much more colorful than the males. They can spin 6 different types of silk and they create some beautiful intricate webs. Their silk is actually stronger than kevlar. I have not seen many of these here but did see them pretty often when I lived near Tampa. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Joro spiders get here. Joro spiders look kind of like the Banana spider. I have read they are in Georgia now and will be in Florida some time in the future. I think it will be a hoot to see parachuting spiders riding on the wind, but I just hope the state can figure out a humane way to handle them. My wife does not share my fascination with spiders though, Joros or otherwise.

View attachment 111863
We call them Banana Spiders as well. I used to hate riding my 4 wheeler through the woods and ride through their web. I would jump off of it and start hitting my body like I was on fire thinking it was on me!

They got the nickname banana spider from being found in boxes of bananas shipped from South America to the U.S. some years ago. I guess they still show up in a banana box sometimes now but it may not be as often as before.

Back