Subscription based options? I didn't see this coming.

Just run your own wiring and bypass the controls. 12V to fuse, fuse to properly rated switch or relay, wire to seat heater connector, wire to ground. Not too hard to do - just have to see if the "nanny" feature is monitored by the BCM and "tells".

Even can use bluetooth controlled relays for the seat heater so no interior changes are needed (arduino, etc)

And the CPO buyer can buy it again.

And the third owner.

And the fourth.

Etc.

It's anti-consumer to the core and driven by corporate greed. I hope all these features are cracked and pirated instantly.
no doubt they will.

these companies are fishing for the lowest common denominator of car buyer. people with more willpower will always find a workaround

After some thought, I guess this started, indirectly, with subscription satellite radio.
I disagree. Satellite radio requires infrastructure and programming be kept going in order to keep feeding the radio. Without that stuff happening in the background, the radio is useless.

This heated seats concept is actively de-optioning equipment that could otherwise run on its own.

I disagree. Satellite radio requires infrastructure and programming be kept going in order to keep feeding the radio. Without that stuff happening in the background, the radio is useless.

This heated seats concept is actively de-optioning equipment that could otherwise run on its own.
I agree, kind of why i said 'indirectly'. ;)

take seats aside a second...

Lets say that the manufacturer could actually add value with electronic upgrades - say they could shave a couple of tenths off quarter mile, or reduce the braking from 60-0 by a few feet by optimizing it a bit.

Would you prefer to have them allow the car to stagnate while they work on something new they can charge money for - or have the option of paying to eek every last bit of goodness they can get?

Would you prefer to have them allow the car to stagnate while they work on something new they can charge money for - or have the option of paying to eek every last bit of goodness they can get?
Not the same.

And OTA updates, wether to correct a problem or to enhance the car, should be free of charge. This would generate customer goodwill and increase brand loyalty.

The scenario you propose will just lead to a decontented powertrain that they'll then give you the privilege of paying to "improve."

Not the same.

And OTA updates, wether to correct a problem or to enhance the car, should be free of charge. This would generate customer goodwill and increase brand loyalty.

The scenario you propose will just lead to a decontented powertrain that they'll then give you the privilege of paying to "improve."

Why would I use engineering cycles to enhance an existing car if I get no money for it when I could spend these cycles on a new product I get paid for?

As a manufacturer of hardware products this is an interesting topic - there are definitely ways to do it wrong and paying a sub for heated seats is wrong.

Back