Subaru WRX Wagon vs Mazdaspeed 3 Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone owns either one could give me some opinions of them. I'm leaning toward the WRX for the AWD although the 3 has more HP and Torque (but it's FWD). I know I will just have to test drive both, but I'm still wondering what others think/know. Thanks!

Subaru is rated better in a crash. Nothing like the AWD for measurably better handling in less than ideal conditions...including pulling out in traffic from a side street....just point the AWD where you want the car to go and stand on it. You can't do that with a FWD car that is sufficiently powerful without losing traction/cutting power. I had the Saab version of the Impreza, very, very nice package.

Quote:

... Nothing like the AWD for measurably better handling in less than ideal conditions....

Ditto.

And it doesn't need to be ice and snow to be less than ideal conditions. I was astounded by the difference AWD makes in rain with my A4 Quattro compared to FWD and RWD on my first drive in the rain.

What are you intentions with the car? Any plans to mod the car?

Ever since the first 2002 WRX came to the US, the GD chassis has been around for 6 years. If possible, wait for the 2008 Imprezas... it's about time for an upgrade!

Edit: Although the WRX came to the US in 2002, the GD chassis has been around for 7 years (Since 2001).

Quote:

All new Impreza is due for 2008, so don't jump yet.

Titan: HAD the SAAB version? What happened?

I started traveling with my new job, and sometimes have up to two other people (both women) with me, and their luggage (did I mention they are women?). Besides being a little cramped for us all, I need a car with a lockable trunk. I REALLY liked that Saabaroo...excellent fuel mileage (manual), good looking, very reliable. I'd buy another in a minute if I was looking for a small wagon.

That's a pickle now, because I really want a wagon, and I really don't want to buy a car in its debut year. Although the GD is older, hopefully they have all of the kinks worked out of it.

I’m supremely happy with my 02 WRX wagon. If I had to get a new car today, I’d get another one especially since prices should be low with the anticipated ’08 redesign. This is my first AWD vehicle and the amount of improved control in wet and snow is now a requirement in my mind. I never want to go back to FWD again for a daily driver.

Cargo capacity is not large compared to an SUV but with the rear seat folded does a surprisingly efficient job containing cargo. Plus it has a 2,000 pound towing capacity. It’s the perfect vehicle to haul my trailer and equipment to motorcycle track days.

It’s been perfectly reliable, powerful and handles great for the price. Check the great UOA’s here and you can see how nicely these engines hold up even with all the power. This car seems to get an exaggerated reputation as a sports car. It’s not a sports car, but an inexpensive sport sedan that performs incredibly well for the price and practicality.

There are a few down sides that are small concessions given the price. The suspension and chassis is indeed dated, over-spring and under-damped, and has more body roll than I would like. But it’s still well balanced and handles great in most circumstances. Shifting and the drivetrain feel just a little sloppy but this is cured with a couple hundred bucks worth of aftermarket bushings. Fuel economy is slightly worse than FWD competitors but not by much since Subaru as really developed the AWD system so well. The interior is “value” but not cheap. Finally, it’s not exactly the kind of vehicle to pick up women with. Most people will think you’re a dork. I’m comfortable with that.

Hey, Lo, don't start advertising us as Dork types...I'd prefer we stay out of the mainstream. The last thing we need is for more people to want to be Dorks...we'd lose our appeal. B~)

Hey it's definitely more Go than Show. And if someone with a lowered Hummer H2, loud exhaust and 22" rims thinks I'm a dork then great. I'm happy to have different priorities than those types.

I used to have an 05 Mazda 3, and my best friend has an 05 Subaru 2.5RS. I know they're not the turbo'd vehicles, but I LOVE his RS. His car has such good control & overall stability that it just always feels planted.

On the flip side though, the Mazda3 is definitely more "refined". The interior is nice, the exterior looks nice, it will drive better off-the-lot, etc. It's more of a car that you simply buy to drive... not to modify.

Between the two choices above (mazdaspeed 3 & WRX), if you want a fun car to just play with and NOT modify, then I'd probably go for the 3. However if you're into the aftermarket world, nothing beats a good Subie.

The Mazda3 is a cheaply made piece of junk. The interior materials are some of the cheapest I've seen, and the sheetmetal is paper-thin. They REALLY pinched pennies on that car. It might look good on paper, but test drive one and feel it out thoroughly. If you're used to an standards of luxury or refinement, you'll agree with me.

The interior for the 2002-2007 WRX Wagon pales in comparison to the Mazda3. However this of course changes in 2008.

I own a 2004 WRX wagon and absolutely love it. It feels like your driving a car and a sports car at that. The Mazda3 Speed feels like your riding in it. The Mazda3 Speed IMHO is less edgy.

Basically a test drive will define what want quickly.

Both good choices, however theyre a little apples and oranges. The WRX has a huge aftermarket and AWD, however is "less refined" than the Speed3. The Speed3 is FWD, will probably get better mielage, handles GREAT thanks to a rock solid chassis, has gobs of on-tap low-end torque however the stock turbocharger is definately on the small side. The Mazda L3-VDT (2.3L DISI) has more bolt-on for bolt-on potential than the WRX due to the higher compression ratio and direct fuel injection. The 2.3L DISI is hampered by the top mount intercooler and smallish turbo. The WRX is tuned to a relatively higher spec. Greatest potential=2.3L DISI. However AWD is AWD, combined with the aboundance of aftermarket parts for the WRX.

LOL@Aldaris - the sheetmetal in Mazdas is no different than Subaru or any other Japanese manufacturer. People who make such claims are generally just "BrandX" fanboiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back