Subaru - viscosity oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ask the following because I'll likely order a new 2016 Outback with the 3.6l engine before the end of the year. I've searched here, on the web and viewed relevant posts on Outback forums but I can't find a clear answer. I'm likely being a little cross-eyed over the subject but aren't most of us here, to some degree?

1. Starting with 2015, Subaru decreased their change intervals, even with synthetic oils, on all engines from 7.5k to 6k. Some theorize that with earlier generation oil consumption from faulty rings, this new change frequency puts the owner on heightened notice and perhaps keeps the value up on lease returns. The trend is for longer intervals with most everyone else and the oil, like M1 EP, is built for it. Is there a known reason why it's down to 6k?

2. The 3.6l requires 5w-30 syn and I currently run M1 5/30 in my present car. I'd stick with that but it's on the thin side. GC, which I've also used, is thicker but much pricier. The price doesn't offend me but it's a waste to dump it so soon, like Subaru wants me to do. Part of me says use the GC, other parts say use M1 0/40 and a third part of me says use 5 qts of M1 5/30 from the jug and fill the last two qts (6.9 qt capacity) with their 0/40. The car will be run in Southern California and out to Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico. Summer temps around here do exceed 105 plus we have our infamous traffic.

3. The final thing isn't so much of a question but an observation. For their 2.5l flat four engine it requires 0/20 syn but says in the same sentence that a 5/40 syn can be used, among other grades, if I can't get 0/20 for a top off. Seems odd that they'd do that but then again, even some threads here say there may not be that much of a difference between a 20 and 40 grade, except for mileage.

Last edited:
Maybe they are trying to protect against the idiots who do not think they need to use synthetic when its called for in owners manual.

Yay! Another Subaru oil viscosity thread!!
smile.gif

1. Yes, probably to keep an eye on oil consumption. soA told me it was proprietary information. Meanwhile, Europe still has much longer intervals.

2. Actually, the 3.6 specs 5W-30 conventional and 5W-30 synthetic may be used.

Quote:
Your vehicle is designed to use 5W-30 conventional motor oil, however 5W-30 synthetic may be used for optimum engine performance.

*: If 5W-30 synthetic oil is not available, 10W-30 or 10W-40 conventional oil may be used if you need to add oil.

However, you should change to 5W-30 synthetic or conventional oil at the next oil change.

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/110544/...IS101515_16.pdf

3. The owner's manual recommendations are wonky. It actually says 5W-40 conventional may be used on the FB engine.

Quote:
0W-20 synthetic oil is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.
*: If 0W-20 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 or 5W-40 conventional oil may be used if you need to add oil.

However, you should change to 0W-20 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

And all Subaru owner's manuals state:

Quote:
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

Page 11-13:
http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/110544/...IS101515_15.pdf
^You should check with your dealer and SoA on that one. Ask them to define the hot weather and higher viscosity. They will probably tell you to run only 5W-30.

I would use PYB 5W-30 and change it every 6k miles.
banana2.gif
If you want to stick with Mobil, I would really just use Mobil Super 5000. My family has put n/a Subaru's through some pretty harsh conditions (albeit not an H6 model) and they've all done great on xW30 conventional oils. Although if you were in Japan, they would probably recommend the Subaru/Castrol 5W-40 as they allow it in harsh conditions in the H-6.

-Dennis

Last edited:
3.6R? Ignore all of us 2.5 bickering fools. That thing could be lubricated with coal and still run. Pick your 5w30 of choice and live a life of bliss. Follow the owners manual while it is under warranty and then after that, follow your heart.

For us 2.5 operators it is all over the place. Way to much tin-foil hat folks bickering. Speaking of which, I need to re-fresh the tin in my hat.

I have a 15 impreza and was perplexed as to why they recommend 6k intervals with synthetic.I never found a valid reason for lowering it from 7.5k,although plenty of speculation exists online.

The good news is that I made it to 6k without having to add oil.My 05 Forester would have required 1.5 quarts for 6k. The salesman said the consumption issues were resolved 2015 models,but neither him or the service manager could explain the decision to lower intervals to 6k.

the 3.6 has never had any issues, now if you have a EJ 2.5, you have/had issues. good luck.

Listen to Dennis. Good advice.

I'd be tempted to go to Synpower if starting with a new engine and just staying with it for life. I'd run the FF for 500-800 miles and change.

so the real question is which filter????

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Listen to Dennis.

His car is blue and I'm ordering one in Carbide Grey. Should I still listen to him?

Filter? Always have used the M1 since first available but might flirt with the Fram Ultra if I'm feeling kittenish.

The 3.6 holds ~7 quarts of oil, and the oil temperature stays pretty mild unless you are towing. Conventional 5w-30 is fine.

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 or 0W-30 in the winter and 0W-40 (a thin 40-weight in the summer) in my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6L with no oil consumption.

Perhaps the shorter oci is more due to the Subaru branded Honeywell filter than the oil...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2856007/Re:_Subaru_H4_(ADBV)_vs_H6_(No#Post2856007

We all know that blue (and red) cars are harder on oil, so you should be fine following what Dennis has posted with your car... ;-)

My first Subie was blue, but I've had other colors since then.
grin2.gif
I don't want to bother changing my same screen name that I've had on forums since 1997 and using Compuserve email.

I have the same engine.

I'll stick with the OEM Tokyo Roki filter (with subarus high bypass specs) and any synthetic 5w-30 at 6k intervals and sleep well at night.

Last edited:
I just traded my '08 Tribeca for a 2016 OB 3.6R. The Tribeca also had the 3.6 and it consumed oil from the day be bought it. 2008 was the first year for the 3.6 in the US. Using a synthetic made no difference. I switched from AMSOIL XL 5w-30 to a XL 10w-40 a couple years ago and it essentially cut my oil consumption in half. It also made a noticeable reduction in engine noise and fuel economy seemed unaffected.

We only have 1000 miles on the new OB, but so far the oil level is holding constant. My local Dealer recommends and installs Subaru-branded synthetic 5w-30 (made by Idemitsu) in the new 6-cyl Outbacks. If you buy a new OB, Subaru includes 2-yr maintenance for free with the vehicle. Per the plan, however, they do oil changes at ~6k intervals

I'm not telling anyone to violate anything (so please don't PM/email me), and I'm not telling anyone they have to use Amsoil (so please PM/email me) but everyone who I have recommended 0W-40 or 5W-40 to is thoroughly digging the lower consumption, the same MPG, the improved buttfeel and dyno power, and quieter engine.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
3.6R? Ignore all of us 2.5 bickering fools. That thing could be lubricated with coal and still run. Pick your 5w30 of choice and live a life of bliss. Follow the owners manual while it is under warranty and then after that, follow your heart.

For us 2.5 operators it is all over the place. Way to much tin-foil hat folks bickering. Speaking of which, I need to re-fresh the tin in my hat.

+1 on everything quoted, except for the tin-foil hat part. Everyone knows aluminum-foil hats are far superior.

Originally Posted By: Talkinghorse1
I just traded my '08 Tribeca for a 2016 OB 3.6R. The Tribeca also had the 3.6 and it consumed oil from the day be bought it. 2008 was the first year for the 3.6 in the US. Using a synthetic made no difference. I switched from AMSOIL XL 5w-30 to a XL 10w-40 a couple years ago and it essentially cut my oil consumption in half. It also made a noticeable reduction in engine noise and fuel economy seemed unaffected.

We only have 1000 miles on the new OB, but so far the oil level is holding constant. My local Dealer recommends and installs Subaru-branded synthetic 5w-30 (made by Idemitsu) in the new 6-cyl Outbacks. If you buy a new OB, Subaru includes 2-yr maintenance for free with the vehicle. Per the plan, however, they do oil changes at ~6k intervals

How did you break-in the Tribeca? By the book or a harder break-in? At what mileage was the first oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back