Subaru Syn 5w30 - 1,027 miles - 2012 Subaru WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to use Blackstone oil analysis' on all the oil changes on my new 2012 WRX. Even though the information for the first few changes is skewed by the motor break in, I wanted to watch the levels trend and monitor the shearing of the 5w-30 oil. For potential warranty purposes, at least while the car is very new, I decided to stick with 5w30 for the first few oil changes. I chose Pennzoil Ultra, due to some pretty good UOA results that I've seen. After draining the factory fill at ~1,000 miles, I filled it with the Ultra 5w30. I will change it again at 3,750 to see how much it has sheared. If the results are bad, I will be switching to GC or T6 sooner than I expected.

This first UOA is of the factory fill at ~1,000 miles. The oil is so thin that I have a hard time believing the factory fill is actually 5w30 Synthetic. Could a 5w30 Syn really have sheared down THAT MUCH in just 1,000 miles?

wrx_uoa.gif

What are Subaru's recommendations? That FF sure looks like 0W-20. Kind of a shame toss all that beautiful moly.

Subaru is pretty clear in the manual that only SN/SM, ILSAC GF-4/5 and Resourcing Conserving 5w30 synthetic is the only Subaru approved oil. However, I have seen reports that 0w20 and 5w30 are the factory fill, although most agree it's 5w30.

Subaru's clear guidelines for the oil is why I wanted to stick to them for the first few oil changes in case something popped up with the engine early on.

Last edited:
keep in mind that shear is non-linear; most of the shearing is going to occur in the first 1K, so it's certainly possible that it was a 5W30. That said, does Subie have a high-moly 5W30? Because the add pack looks a lot like the GF-4 Idemitsu 0W20.

Stick with 5w30 which is the warranty required oil for this new engine. The wear values look fine for the first 1,000 miles UOA. . I would never have dumped the Factory FF at 1K but, that's history now. Ed

Looking at some other FF UOA's I guess this is amount of shearing is actually quite typical.

I'm also considering switching the Ultra to Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn 5w30 as it's thicker than PU and meets ACEA A3/B3, while still being SN/SM and 5w30 (for warranty purposes).

Originally Posted By: Digitalwave
Looking at some other FF UOA's I guess this is amount of shearing is actually quite typical.

I'm also considering switching the Ultra to Valvoline MaxLife Full Syn 5w30 as it's thicker than PU and meets ACEA A3/B3, while still being SN/SM and 5w30 (for warranty purposes).

There's not going to be an oil that's "resource conserving" that will meet A3, since the ht/hs will be too high. If you're really set on maintaining the warranty, I'd go with an oil that meets the HTO-06 (turbo) spec, even though Honda came up with the spec. I think Ultra would be just fine in this application, particularly since it may be more shear-resistant (a UOA would tell for sure), and it meets the spec.

If you're going to use an oil that doesn't meet the "resource conserving" spec, you may as well just go for M1's 0W40.

JOD - the manual mentions API SM or SN 5W-30 but not GF4 or GF5. It also mentions that "5W-40 conventional" is allowed for replenishment only and I've been looking for such an oil since SoA revised the manual in MY2011.
lol.gif

There are actually 2011/2012 owners running RT6 and GC installed by dealers so not everyone is following the manual.

Trav's advice FTW!
smile.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
JOD - the manual mentions API SM or SN 5W-30 but not GF4 or GF5. It also mentions that "5W-40 conventional" is allowed for replenishment only and I've been looking for such an oil since SoA revised the manual in MY2011.
lol.gif

The manual say "API SN/SM w/ Energy Conserving" OR GF-4/GF-5.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
lol.gif

The manual say "API SN/SM w/ Energy Conserving" OR GF-4/GF-5.

So, pretty much anything on the shelves these days...

Regardless of what the FF is, it's no longer a 5W-30, so it doesn't really matter. I can't believe SoA is saying 7,500 mile intervals are gtg on these things. Not Amsoil nor T6 has much, if any life left at those intervals in my STI. I can't imagine using an oil that meets the min spec of SM/GF-4...

Originally Posted By: jddssc121
hello Molly!

Who's Molly, the OP? Always good to welcome another female into the turbo Subie club - welcome!
13.gif

Originally Posted By: JOD

There's not going to be an oil that's "resource conserving" that will meet A3, since the ht/hs will be too high. If you're really set on maintaining the warranty, I'd go with an oil that meets the HTO-06 (turbo) spec, even though Honda came up with the spec. I think Ultra would be just fine in this application, particularly since it may be more shear-resistant (a UOA would tell for sure), and it meets the spec.

I agree.
This may come as a revelation but he could also actual try the Subaru 5W-30 service fill oil which is made by Idemitsu. I don't know if it contains any large doses of moly but it would be interesting to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back