subaru oil consumption.. new engines for some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: CKN
Let's bash Jiffy Lubes, Chinese tires and Dealers in this same thread to get it over with.

I will *only* drive a Crown Victoria that I buy private party equipped with Michelin tires and that has never been near a quick lube!
Sounds a lot like the Grand Marquis in my sig-although I did ditch the Michelins!

I love panthers!

But mine won't be getting michelins. I don't think I'd drive it enough and they would dryrot.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Years ago the owners of problem vehicles had no recourse today Lemon Law and class action Lawsuits stomp all over the bad automakers. If you have a problem with a vehicle call a good lemon law attorney they work for free to the consumer and the car companies pay dearly..
The car companies know they will most likely lose the case if it goes that route and will usually bend over backwards to help do the right thing all you do is have to mention this route ...If they don't oh well it might take some time but you will most likely get a brand new car or a good chunk of cash..

While things are better than they used to be, I don't think things are nearly that weighted toward the consumer. There are arbitration processes to fight through first, and I wonder how many lawyers actually take on Lemon Law cases on a contingency basis, I sure wouldn't if I were an attorney going up against Ford, for example. Knowing the deep pockets the automakers have to spend on litigation as well as their strong desire to not lose these cases as a precedent, I don't think its nearly so easy.

too bad there wasnt a class action lawsuit for the head gasket issues . this was a worse problem than oil burning. any one who buys a 4 cyl subaru with out doing some research is just asking to roll the dice and come up [censored]

I wonder how much oil these Subes burned. My Corolla owner's manual says that using 1.1 quart in 600 miles is "normal" oil consumption! Mine uses very little between 5000 mile OCI's, but it's amazing that Toyota would tolerate such high oil consumption. I guess it's CYA on their part.

Originally Posted By: raffy
I wonder how much oil these Subes burned. My Corolla owner's manual says that using 1.1 quart in 600 miles is "normal" oil consumption! Mine uses very little between 5000 mile OCI's, but it's amazing that Toyota would tolerate such high oil consumption. I guess it's CYA on their part.

More like, that was the level required in order to not rebuild thousands of engines on Toyota's dime. Today they will keep that number going forward, just in case they do a repeat and have a bad series of engines.

My Forester (2000MY) never used even a 1/3 quart during a 5,000 mile oil change using the recommended 5w30 oil. I sold it to a neighbor with 126,000 and he still drives it today and never has to add oil during the 5K OC. I think the problem today is a result of low tension rings, thin oil and ? The 180 V engines are some of the best designs in the world i.e. Porsche F6s and Ferrari Testarosa F12s and most all light planes. Ed

Found the paperwork on the suit. The vehicles covered weren't all the same models and years but generally ranged between 2011 and some of the 2015. Saw a photo of the oil control rings on some of the engines that were totally worn out. It said that some of the rings weren't treated properly when manufactured. It's not that they had a problem, all manufacturers on occasion do, but the follow up when it happens. I like their dog commercials

Originally Posted By: greasemonkey1
Just got my 2012 Forrester back from the dealer (new short block) under a class action mandated warranty
Burned 1 qt. every 600 miles once it hit 20K

Just wondered if this rebuild stopped the oil burning. I had the short block install on my 2012 with 5-speed MT and it has burned about 0.7 L after 3400 miles.

^ Be interesting to know for sure. I'd give your 2012 a little more than 3400mi to see how it does. Like I've mentioned in other threads on this topic, out of my 3 late model Subarus, the only one that would sporadically use oil was my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd. The first time I noticed it was when the low oil level light came on with ~940miles on the ODO. It was brand new! Kinda spooked me. I traded it in @ ~36K miles for the Forester, not because of the oil use, but the horrible 5spd that I couldn't stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back