Subaru oil - 7500 miles on an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I purchased a Subaru Legacy last year and with the purchase I received lifetime oil changes from the dealership. I thought that was great, but I normally don't wait till 7500 miles to change oil, even if it is synthetic. Usually I change oil at the 5k mark or 6 mos. But after the first 2 changes, they are now pretty stubborn about changing oil before 7500 miles, unless I reach the time allotment to the next recommended change.

I don't have far to commute so I haven't reached the 7500 miles on a single oil change yet (3 oil changes, 13,000 miles) but it's MN, so the weather can be extreme, like this last winter.

My question is, is Subaru oil really up to the task of 7500 miles on an oil change? Or is this going to destroy my engine following "the recommended manufacture guide" on oil longevity?

If not...I figured I'd just start doing my own oil changes at the 3750 mile mark, in between the freebies, even though that is probably to soon.

Thanks in advance!

I've got two OB Wagons. One with 265K, one with 230K. I change the oil every 7-8K mi. I live in NE Wisconsin...so it sees the extremes and I've never felt it was too long. I've sent my oil to Blackstone Labs and they too agree with my interval being more than sufficient. I've used everything from WallyWorld to (presently) Valvoline semi-synth max-life high mileage. I do stick with the NAPA Gold filters though(Wix).

some engine companies say to wait till 10,000 or even 15,000 miles 7500 miles is fine on syn.
Chances are the head gaskets are going to start to leak before you will ever have an engine problem!

If you will do some research here, you will find plenty of evidence that a 7500 oil change interval (oci) is quite safe. Plenty of examples of high mileage cars where an even longer oci was used, perhaps 8k - 12k miles per oci.

The Subaru 0w-20 synthetic is a very good motor oil. If i recall correctly, someone here recently posted an analysis of Subaru 0w-20. The results were quite impressive.

You may want to ask your dealership which motor oil they are using, however. Many Subaru dealerships use other motor oils instead of the Subaru. I'm guessing they get better pricing? Even if they are using another name brand 0w-20 synthetic, you really shouldn't be too concerned. The 7.5k oci still isn't too long.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Chances are the head gaskets are going to start to leak before you will ever have an engine problem!

Lol! I'm pretty sure a leaking HG IS an "engine problem"...however I get the idea. The big years for the Subie HG problems are WAY in the past(00-03). Once the bad gaskets(that was the problem from the factory) are replaced, barring a catastrophic overheat(a Subies Achilles heel)...they'll last a lifetime.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
some engine companies say to wait till 10,000 or even 15,000 miles 7500 miles is fine on syn.

I'm guessing that the op has a '13 or '14 Legacy. There should be no reason for him/her to be concerned about leaking hg.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
If you will do some research here, you will find plenty of evidence that a 7500 oil change interval (oci) is quite safe. Plenty of examples of high mileage cars where an even longer oci was used, perhaps 8k - 12k miles per oci.

The Subaru 0w-20 synthetic is a very good motor oil. If i recall correctly, someone here recently posted an analysis of Subaru 0w-20. The results were quite impressive.

You may want to ask your dealership which motor oil they are using, however. Many Subaru dealerships use other motor oils instead of the Subaru. I'm guessing they get better pricing? Even if they are using another name brand 0w-20 synthetic, you really shouldn't be too concerned. The 7.5k oci still isn't too long.

It is a 2013.

They do give a receipt that lists all the part numbers used, and the oil listed is Subaru 0w-20 (SOA427V1310).

Thanks for all the replies! I feel better now.
smile.gif

I don't see it being a problem with a subaru, but I've had people tells their "freebies" were at every 10-15k at the dealer (BMW) but when the freebies were over, the dealer advised every 5000. Way to save money on the freebies and then get it back from those who don't pay attention.

You'll be fine at 7,500 mi.

My mother has a 2013 Legacy and has been doing 7,500 mi oil changes without issue. The UOAs come back great. She lives in northern Minnesota. My father has a 2010 Outback 3.6 and has been using Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 for 10,000 miles, also with great results. Both of them do mostly long highway driving though.

Subaru recently shortened their OCI to 6k for all cars in 2014, but I suspect that mostly reflects more direct-injected cars in the lineup. Your port-injected car should be fine for 7,500 even in city driving in a Minnesota winter. If you're really concerned, switch to Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0w20 oil, it's recommended by Mobil for OCIs of 15,000 miles. Even regular Mobil 1 (AFE) is recommended by Mobil for 10,000 mi OCIs. Castrol Edge extended is another long-drain option.

I have a 2013 Legacy with the FB25 as well and I'm not concerned at all. When I bought the car the OCI, oil consumption issues, and CVT all concerned me from a reliability standpoint but I have 7 years and 100k miles for any problems to arise under warranty (well really 6 more years and 86k miles).

It's understandable to be wary of new specs and techs but that's how they get 30+ mpg out of a 3,400lb AWD car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back