Subaru offered Delvac 1 at dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Mobil 1 5W-40

Using the same technology as Mobil 1 0W-40, MOBIL HAS MADE MOBIL 1 5W-40 EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO SUBARU DEALERS.
This product fulfils the viscosity requirements of Subaru for use in all of their model range. Mobil 1 5W-40 makes available the same benefits achieved by Mobil 1 without the extreme low temperature capability and ulta quick circulation offered by the 0W rated product. Mobil 1 5W-40 will be available exclusively to Subaru dealers for routine servicing. For interim lubricant top-up, we advise customers to either return to dealer for top-up or use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 for DIY top-up. While Motorosport is 15W-50m, the viscosity will have negligible effect on the sump viscosity and the lubricants are totally compatible.

Found this in a WRX forum. Anyone have Delvac 1 at their local Sub. dealer?

[ September 09, 2003, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

If it is the same chemistry as 0W40 then it is not the same as Delvac 1. Delvac 1 is completely shear stable and the 0W40 is not shear stable at all.

Interesting. I have an Outback and will call the dealer to see what Mobil 1 viscosity they have as M1 5W40 doesn't exist, well not here anyway (wish it did). D1 5W40 is a different oil entirely.

I don't like the "return to the dealer for top-up" option at all...are they going to have a quick top-up service so you don't have to wait...and we know what can happen once a dealer gets your car in his possession...so they have consigned you to either return to the dealer or mix in an oil of a different viscosity...I'm not against mixing but I don't like being "forced" into it. What in the world is going on in the wonderful world of lubrication?

[ September 09, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
If it is the same chemistry as 0W40 then it is not the same as Delvac 1. Delvac 1 is completely shear stable and the 0W40 is not shear stable at all.

Now, if Exxon Mobil would offer Mobil 1 in
10W-40 that I've always wanted. I don't
understand why there are 3 different 30 weights
of Mobil 1 and only one 40 weight.
confused.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

[ September 09, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: J ]

quote:

Now, if Exxon Mobil would offer Mobil 1 in
10W-40 that I've always wanted. I don't
understand why there are 3 different 30 weights
of Mobil 1 and only one 40 weight.

Jae,
Completly agree! This would be very ideal for Jeeps or LS1's too where a thicker oil is preferred.

pscholte, you go to the dealer buy it and do it yourself.
wink.gif

[ September 09, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Yeah, but viscosity seems kinda low for a 40 weight at 13 cSt @ 100°C, and TBN is only 6.5?

I think Delvac 1 at $6/quart would be a popular choice for folks wanting a premium 5W-40 syn oil... but it's so difficult to find!

On my way home from Toronto I stopped off at 3 or 4 truck stops, all they had was the regular Delvac 15W-40, despite Mobil 1's website saying that D1 would be available at those places...
mad.gif

quote:

I think Delvac 1 at $6/quart would be a popular choice for folks wanting a premium 5W-40 syn oil... but it's so difficult to find!

I am going to ask Mobil if they are going to continue to market this item in retail and maybe increase the locations. This is a top notch oil that many of us could use and would rather use then 0w-40 Super-thinout. For my Jeep, I'm thinking of D1 in the summer and 10w-30 M1 in winter.
wink.gif
I currently order it from a distrbution center here in NJ. $21 for a gallon. Very competitively priced for what you get.

[ September 09, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back