Subaru low oil light

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post but I'm a long time lurker. Last Sunday I changed the oil and filter on my 2012 Impreza with FB20 motor. Since then, the low oil level light has come on several times so it's currently grounded in the garage. Oil level is fine if not a tad over the upper fill line/hole. I have never experienced this problem before. For this change I did use Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 vs M1 0W20 and I used a Wix filter vs a Bosch Premium. I've seen some of the threads regarding some Subaru filter issues. Could my low oil level light be related to the use of the Wix filter?

Doubtful...Wix is a good brand, but If I owned a Subie I would be using OEM. I hear its best. If the oil level is full and you have oil PRESSURE I would drive to the dealer and make them fix it. Its under warranty right?

Is this warning light for low oil level, or low oil pressure?

If it is for oil pressure, you may have a cracked oil pickup tube.

If it is for oil level, you may have a bad sensor.

It's the low oil level light that goes on. The low oil pressure light has not gone on so I'm assuming it's not a pressure related issue.

I used an OEM filter for my first change followed by the Bosch for the following two changes because a Wix application was not initially available (I'm generally a Wix fan when they are available).

I'll try it again tomorrow. If the light comes on, off to the dealership the car will go. I just wanted to make sure I didn't cause the problem by using a potentially problematic filter. I guess I could just put on another Bosch filter and see if the light remains on and that would more or less conclude that it is sensor related. Are there filters that have proven to be a problem (and should be avoided) on this car?

Why not just pick up an OEM filter and swap it out? At least you would have eliminated a possible, if improbable cause, then take it to the dealer if it doesn't fix it.

Last edited:
I have used every variety of filter sold at Wal Mart on my Forester with absolutely no issues. If it is truly a low level light but the dipstick shows full then I'm going to guess you have a bad sensor. The filter isn't going to cause a low oil light when it is obviously full. Trust the dipstick as people have done since cars were invented.

Originally Posted By: NO2
Why not just pick up an OEM filter and swap it out? At least you would have eliminated a possible, if improbable cause, then take it to the dealer if it doesn't fix it.

Because, if it's the low oil level indicator, which the OP has confirmed, then changing the filter will not change anything.

When you change your oil, place the key in run position without starting the car for half a minute to prevent the light from coming on. If it keeps clearing and coming back over several start-stop cycles, then take it to the dealer to have it documented and/or fixed, if they can duplicate the indication and verify the oil level is SAT.

Originally Posted By: GaryMX5
Last Sunday I changed the oil and filter on my 2012 Impreza with FB20 motor. Since then, the low oil level light has come on several times so it's currently grounded in the garage. Oil level is fine if not a tad over the upper fill line/hole.

Let's start from A and move char by char to Z.
1. Is this an oil pressure light or oil level light?
2. If pressure, how long does it shine? I mean if it shines all the time or just for few seconds?
3. If few seconds, than 1-2 or 5-6 seconds?
4. If this is a oil level light, go to the dealer and complain them.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Last Sunday I changed the oil and filter on my 2012 Impreza with FB20 motor. Since then, the low oil level light has come on several times so it's currently grounded in the garage. Oil level is fine if not a tad over the upper fill line/hole.

Let's start from A and move char by char to Z.
1. Is this an oil pressure light or oil level light?
2. If pressure, how long does it shine? I mean if it shines all the time or just for few seconds?
3. If few seconds, than 1-2 or 5-6 seconds?
4. If this is a oil level light, go to the dealer and complain them.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What color is the light, red or yellow? Yellow is low oil level.
Tap the pan lightly around the sensor, it might be stuck.

The difference is pretty obvious, so unless the OP answered out of his butt, we should take his word for it.

It's the low oil level light that goes on. The low oil pressure light has not gone on so I'm assuming it's not a pressure related issue.

It was zero degrees and snowing this morning so my wife asked for a ride to the bus. I decided to give the Subie a try. When I started it....behold the light was off so I chanced it and continued on to the park and ride. On the way back to the house my luck ran out and the "low level oil light" came back on and stayed on. So it's off to the dealership we must go!

For what it's worth, the "low level oil light" on my car is blue when illuminated. The "low pressure oil light" is bright red. A distinction that's rather hard to mix up.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to confirm that the change in filters was not, somehow, related to my problem issue.

Last edited:
It was zero degrees and snowing this morning so my wife asked for a ride to the bus. I decided to give the Subie a try. When I started it....behold the light was off so I chanced it and continued on to the park and ride. On the way back to the house my luck ran out and the "low level oil light" came back on and stayed on. So it's off to the dealership we must go!

For what it's worth, the "low level oil light" on my car is blue when illuminated. The "low pressure oil light" is bright red. A distinction that's rather hard to mix up.

Thanks everyone. I just wanted to confirm that the change in filters was not, somehow, related to my problem issue.

Stupid sensor... if your dipstick shows oil... you've got oil... no worries. The sensor probably stuck "low..." when you changed the oil out...and is still sticking .

Or, did you forget the drain plug... !

Anyhow, it won't have anything to do with the filter...

And for all you "Use a Subaru Filter ..." Subaru has had two batches of recalled oem oil filters, that leaked severely. And, having disected a couple blue oem filters... I wouldn't call them " the best..." by any stretch... just another basic FRAM oem filter, identical to the HONDA blue oem filters, just smaller.

Last edited:
I would probably ask the dealer to disable the light altogether. Another useless but annoying light is tire pressures.

Originally Posted By: geeman789

And for all you "Use a Subaru Filter ..." Subaru has had two batches of recalled oem oil filters, that leaked severely. And, having disected a couple blue oem filters... I wouldn't call them " the best..." by any stretch... just another basic FRAM oem filter, identical to the HONDA blue oem filters, just smaller.

C'mon now geeman.

I have well over 100,000 miles between three Subaru's running the OEM Honeywell and have never had a problem with them. No cutting open necessary. There have also been recalls in the past on OEM Purolators so that isn't anything shocking.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back