Subaru Legacy, 147K miles, whats the best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 91 Subaru legacy, 4cylinder, with 147K on the clock. I use 5w-30 in the car. As it sits now, it burns a little oil. HAve to add a 1/2 quart about every 500 miles. I was wondering if I should maybe run something a bit heavier, or lighter. I really dont know to much about oil, I did search, and I have talked to people about this, but figured I'd ask on here.

Thanks.

Well you could do a little research on Auto-RX on these forums. It seems to work very well for cleaning out ring deposits and things of that nature. If you do use it follow the instructions. It isnt a solvent, it uses Esters that will not only clean your engine but recondition the seals to. This will have to be mail ordered.

I would try a good high-detergent Diesel/Fleet oil like 15W-40 Mobil Delvac 1300 or Chevron Delo 400 (Around $6.00 gallon at WalMart).

Then the winter comes I would switch to Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (It is around $12.00 Gallon).

I believe with a current burn rate of 1 QT thousand miles the combination of Auto RX and a the Diesel/Fleet oil could stop your oil consumption completely.

Nothing to loose by trying.

Gene

when you say a high detergent diesel oil, you mean oil meant for a diesel engine?? Why would you run something like that?

My wifes 99 Legacy (102,000 miles) really likes Delo 400 15w-40 when the weather is warm.

This car doesn't seem to favor any particular oil as they all start getting consumed after 5-6000 miles. I don't top it up, I just change it as Soobs are the easiest cars on earth to change the oil.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FrankieBonez:
when you say a high detergent diesel oil, you mean oil meant for a diesel engine?? Why would you run something like that?

Much stronger detergent and additive pkg than standard car oils (Keeps the engine much cleaner internally including keeping the rings clean) many have additives designed to help condition seals, many more additives to help under high stress conditiond.

If it can keep a soot laden diesel clean for a million miles what makes you think it wouldnt do the same in a Gas engine?

If you look at the oils European Manufactures recommend for 10,0000-20,000 mi drains they all use Diesel Like Add Packages but are more expensive because of high dollar base stocks and low volume sales in the USA. MaxLife type oils basically are overpriced light viscosity versions of Diesel oils maybe with a little Group V Esters thrown in to help with the cleaning (Auto-RX is a consentrated form of this).

Many consider the Mobil Delvac 1 (Group IV) Synthetic Diesel/Fleet oil the finest Extended Drain oil for a gas engine commonly available in the US. But it cost $20-25 Gal and is overkill for your use. BTW They also sell this oil in QT Bottles labeled Mobile 1 Truck and SUV 5W-40.

I have never seen a Diesel Oil that wasn't rated for gas engines. The Fleet on a Diesel oil means mixed Fleet ie Gas and Diesel.

If you are concerned about the weight of the oil ask our Australian friends what weight they run in a 1991 Legacy (They have a differnt name their, cant remember what it is).

The Diesel Fleet oil will also go about twice as long between changes as standard Dino Car Oil.

Gene

[ June 24, 2004, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

I agree with the others. Rotella or Delvac.
Both are an excellent choice for your scooby.

Pretty much any oil filter except a fram and you are golden.

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
I have never seen a Diesel Oil that wasn't rated for gas engines. The Fleet on a Diesel oil means mixed Fleet ie Gas and Diesel.

If you are concerned about the weight of the oil ask our Australian friends what weight they run in a 1991 Legacy (They have a differnt name their, cant remember what it is).

The Legacy is called the Liberty down here. I'm not sure about the 1st Gen Legacy / Liberty, but the current recommended oils for the H4 are 5w30, 10w30 or 10w40.

There are a few diesel oils down here that don't have dual ratings (Caltex / Cheron Delo CXJ & XLD springs to mind).

[ June 25, 2004, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Losiho ]

quote:

Originally posted by Losiho:

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

The Legacy is called the Liberty down here. I'm not sure about the 1st Gen Legacy / Liberty, but the current recommended oils for the H4 are 5w30, 10w30 or 10w40.

There are a few diesel oils down here that don't have dual ratings (Caltex / Cheron Delo springs to mind).

Chevron Delo 400 has the duel rating here. Come to think of it some old Straight SAE40, SAE50 Detroit 2 Stroke Diesel Oils may not have the S* Rating.

NOTE TO FRANKIEBONEZ:
Any S* Rating stand for Service and is a gasoline engine rating.

Diesel engine ratings start with C* for Commercial.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
GeneK, I though "S" was for spark ignition and "C" is for compression ignition.

That is a common misconception.

When the SA rating first came out everyone got there oil at a... Service Station.

According to the API "S" stands for Service Classification and "C" stands for Commercial Classification.

Gene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back