Subaru jumped the shark

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.subarunews.net/scoop impreza 2006_2007.htm

Saw photo in C&D and couldn't believe it was real. Looks like that hideous Tribeca styling will infect their entire lineup. Which by the way I couldn't believe they were actually going to sell the Tribeca when I saw it at autoshow. Move over Aztec...
Actually reminds me of an old Edsel model? The one that looks like a giant womens anatomy driving down the road.
On your most popular car even. At least BMW wasn't stupid enough to F up the 3series.

u-r-a-bus (subaru backwards)

I saw the Tribeca at dealership for the first time about a month ago. Both my friend and I were absolutely aghast at the styling. It's too bad they're using this on the Impreza, too.

Shades of the Subaru GL/GF series of the 1970s. Apparently Subaru is uneasy about how popular their cars are becoming, so they're now going to style them for true believers only.

quote:

Originally posted by ArBee:
Shades of the Subaru GL/GF series of the 1970s. Apparently Subaru is uneasy about how popular their cars are becoming, so they're now going to style them for true believers only.

So you're saying that Subaru would redesign its ENTIRE vehicle lineup so that only the Subie diehards would like, and buy them. Sounds like a very foolish plan to me, and the first I've heard about it.

It reminds me of the old SAABS of the 1950's and early '60's. It also hints at Alfa-Romeo, but the designer was MAD at something. The EDSEL, is in it's DNA someplace, too!

To me, it just plain looks weird. I guess I have seen and owned too many great GM Designs and from the Italian Styling Houses; Pininfarina, Scagletti, Ital Design, Bertone, Ghia, Zagato, Superleggera, Michelotti, I know I forgot a few. Mercedes-Benz's Bruno Sacco? NO! I hope that none of these guys did this! I know!!! It was Chris Bangle! BMW got revenge on Subaru and GM!

I wonder if my friend Dave Holls, was still with us, what would have GM done about this? I need a drink, of MMO
cheers.gif

They wanted a family grill, but IMO what they had was just fine. Subaru has some good looking cars, but like BMW they are trying to move on and it's not working.

-T

The design reflects the aircraft history if Fuji Heavy Industries. The 2006 lineup will have a less pronounced look, but similar lines.

It seems that people either love it or hate it. The reviews for the B9 Tribeca have been great so far-other than the styling of the nose.

The Tribeca isn't really a mainstream vehicle with its distinctive styling and such, but what Subaru is?

An advantage of an incredibly ugly car is that it deverts attention away from owners who were not hit with the ugly stick at birth but were nearly beaten to death with it.

For example, I am not skinny but neither am I obese. Most folks call me "thick" with equal layers of lard and muscle. Sure, I will never be a model but, the "bad guys" think 3 or 4 times before messing with me. However, when in the company of true lardos, those with more than ample girth, in comparison to those folks I look quite svelte. With the ever-growing number of lardsters in the USA it is easy to find those "tons of fun" to stand next to and look quite nice in comparison.

The same is true with but*-ugly cars. The homeliest, good looks-challanged chap can stand next to his conveyance and not appear quite so homely.

A great marketing tool considering how many homely people are filling the land.

But, never let it be said I do not appreciate the beauty-challanged!!!! For, without the homely beauty would mean nothing!!!!! If all folks were as devastatingly attractive as I am then looking oh-so-good would be meaningless!!!!!

Thank you, all you ugly people. Your arduous efforts, or, natural inclinations, are appreciated.

Uhhhhh.... oh yeah. Ugly cars.

Right.

quote:

The one that looks like a giant womens anatomy driving down the road.

I gather you really love the Jaguar E-Type then.
wink.gif

But seriously, what an odd design the Tribeca has. It looks like a shaved puffer fish.

And coincidently, the 50s SAAB that it looks like was also styled that way because of their aircraft beginnings. I can see Subie execs thinking "Go ahead and restyle THIS, GM!" I think it looks like a nose with a little cheesy Frenchie moustache. It's all about the corporate identity, for better or worse. Audis are darn ugly all of a sudden, because some cornholer saw a picture of the 30s Auto Union racing cars and thought this was their rightful heritage. The 2004 A4 will be a classic with its smart minimalist lines.

quote:

The 2004 A4 will be a classic with its smart minimalist lines.

Actually, the B6 looks already like crap. I hate the dash and the lame rear end. The B5 is much nicer inside and out. I'm holding on to my B5 until it can go no further! What's up with the B7's nose? That fake grill looks horrible, especially with a US-size plate stuck there. Still, The B7 looks still better than any current BMW. The new 7 is one of the most ugliest designs on the road. Thanks, Chris Bungle!

IMHO less boring than current Impreza styling. I own a 2004 WRX wagon although I wish I had delayed to pick up its mechanically similar but much prettier Saab 9-2x at the GM discount.

They will likely change if public does not like similar to the bug eye version of Impreza(WRX).

Also that photo makes it look worse, these may be doctored up but from a distance the styling does not look so out there

http://www.subdriven.com/news/publish/Subaru_News/article_378.shtml

Gang,
I saw some commercials on TV, this weekend of the Suburu Tribeca. My first impressions of the front end styling is still of the SAAB 93 of the '60's. Kissin' Cousins!
burnout.gif

The commercials with the other brands getting old and falling apart are great. Too bad the Tribeca is so nasty looking. Mechanically Subarus seem like great cars. I just won't spend money on a vehicle that I can't stand to look at...

I can't agree with the statement that BMW didn't mess up the 3 series. It, like the 5 and the 7 got Bangle-ized this year.

The first Bangle-mobile, the 7 series is already aging poorly. I saw one on the street today, and it just looked plain ugly and messy. The headlights look like they were designed by Alteeza (those ricer tail-lights), or some 14 year old.

The new five is the best of the bunch, but that's not a compliment. It looks like somebody told Chris Bangle to make it look more like a pontiac.

If you're behind a new 3 series, it's looks like somebody stuck a bmw badge on a '98 chevy malibu. The front end is totally forgettable. the I remember when I first saw the e36 - I drooled. Car and Driver said they loved the e36 and couldn't believe it could be improved upon...until they saw the e46. I personally just about blew a gasket when I saw that car.

I don't even look twice at the new 3. I'd just as soon have an accord.

The Tribecca looks like a typical design by committee car. The Front End committee chose to copy Edsel/Alpha Romeo, the Back End Committe chose to make it look like the little lexus sport utility (pretty space-command looking), and the Middle committee got the job of connecting the dots. This snow-car is butt ugly.....no, make that *****.

Gang, I think that Subaru, should give the Tribeca, to SAAB, as a present, because of it's retro-SAAB look. Call the car a SAAB RETRO, or something like that. They have a colaboration already with the SAAB 9x-2, which is a restyled Subaru, which I actually like its design!

Just a thought...
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back