Subaru Japan now only recommends two oil grades 0W30 and 10W50

Something interesting Subaru Japan now apparently only recommend 0W30 for regular cars and 10W50 for WRX STI's...I know in the past they used to recommend 5W30 and 5W40...

And the 10W50 not to be used in the F series engines FA20 FB20
View attachment 81094
View attachment 81093

View attachment 81096
This seems to be a site with details about the Total Les Pleiades oil, but this does not mean that Subaru Japan only recommends these two oils IMO.

Have a look at Subaru Japan’s web site, which has had the same recommendations for several years now:

as stated by total themselves it’s a bandaid oil for now discontinued engine family
I’m really bad at remembering people’s names but seem to easily remember things like Elf calling the 2.0 oil guzzling. 🤣

10718E6C-7681-4A34-86E1-BB9802ADE024.jpeg

What a weird name for oil.

Interestingly the 10W50 is different than the regular Total Quartz racing 10W50...that or the pdf wasn't updated (2014?).

Which name is weird? If you are referring to Elf that is a well known name in Europe. I think it’s part of Total now.

Which name is weird? If you are referring to Elf that is a well known name in Europe. I think it’s part of Total now.
Total Fina Elf, yes.
I meant "les pleiades", I suppose between the Subaru logo and the French/Japanese oil cooperation it makes sense 😂

Nonsense. 0w-20 offers equal protection and better fuel efficiency and is thus the logical choice for all car companies to spec globally, even where CAFE standards do not apply.

Go back and re-read that. I'm sure you'll find that it actually says 0w-20.

Last edited:
Nonsense. 0w-20 offers equal protection and better fuel efficiency and is thus the logical choice for all car companies to spec globally, even where CAFE standards do not apply.

It’s not equal protection to an oil with a higher HT/HS, that’s physically impossible. It provides adequate protection under most driving conditions. That’s what the manufacturers state.

It’s not equal protection to an oil with a higher HT/HS, that’s physically impossible. It provides adequate protection under most driving conditions. That’s what the manufacturers state.

Get outta here with your thin water like oil. ;)

No, actually car companies spec. different oils where emissions are calculated differently.
Edit: quick search:
Subaru WRX STI: ILSAC GF6 5W30 in US.
Subaru WRX STI: ACEA C3 or A3 in EU.

No, actually car companies spec. different oils where emissions are calculated differently.

Exactly. Which is rather the point some of have been making. Manufacturers are making oil recommendations based on a mixture of engine longevity and fuel efficiency (and thus emissions) concerns. At least in markets were there are legal mandates to do so. They pointedly are not doing this in markets where such mandates don't exist.

Some of us just believe that the improvements in fuel efficiency are so marginal that we'd rather weight our decision more towards the longevity considerations.

Look, it's probably a moot point for most drivers. Most people won't keep a car long enough for the engine to die due to wear, so run whatever you will within reason and keep the oil changed and you'll be fine.

However, people that frequent motor oil forums are a different breed. Some of us keep cars longer than the average bear. Or we're driving some classic antique that we'd like to baby as much as possible.

Back