Subaru Idemitsu 75w90 in Toyota 5 speed?

I have a 95 Tacoma 2.4 5 speed and about 6 quarts of this fluid leftover from when I had a 17 forester 6 speed. Any reason not to use this for the trans in the Tacoma? Usually I’d buy redline but this has 330k miles and no idea if/ when the trans or gear oil has been done. Figure if this will work fine I may as well save some money. Thanks!

88217A46-A6F1-445B-A447-8EE4B180F71A.jpeg

1DF225FD-7F43-4EC6-8400-2464232DA529.jpeg
1768DCE8-270F-4C64-AF81-92C5B7E42936.jpeg

There's no special sauce in the Subaru HPGO like there was in their old Extra-S. No reason why you can't use it in something else if the weight and other specs are correct.

Consult the owner's manual to see what toyota says is adequate; despite having numerous threads indicating "you must use GL4 in X toyota manual transmission" my echo indicated GL4 or 5 could be used.

Gear oil meant for differentials is typically ill-suited to a manual transmission.

Subarus combine the manual transmission with the front diff (though the automatic has a separate diff) and have special needs for their gear oil.

I know it's almost impossible to find a GL4 75w90 that's suitable for manual transmissions on the shelf of a US store, and the only one I can think of is Liqui-Moly #20012.

If you can get it, look for Valvoline #508216. It's marketed under their professional series (VPS) and may not be readily available to the public or could've even been discontinued entirely.

You could use Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (made in Germany by Castrol), but it's so expensive it's actually cheaper to buy Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle (now called Castrol Transmax Manual) from Europe, even with international shipping.

Some people have successfully used off-the-shelf Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh on their Toyota manual transmissions, but it is half the viscosity of the correct stuff :poop:

I got a VOA done of UltraLub 75w90 GL4 (now called Ultra1plus), and the results were so weak!

Gear oil meant for differentials is typically ill-suited to a manual transmission.

Subarus combine the manual transmission with the front diff (though the automatic has a separate diff) and have special needs for their gear oil.

I know it's almost impossible to find a GL4 75w90 that's suitable for manual transmissions on the shelf of a US store, and the only one I can think of is Liqui-Moly #20012.

If you can get it, look for Valvoline #508216. It's marketed under their professional series (VPS) and may not be readily available to the public or could've even been discontinued entirely.

You could use Motorcraft XT-M5-QS (made in Germany by Castrol), but it's so expensive it's actually cheaper to buy Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle (now called Castrol Transmax Manual) from Europe, even with international shipping.

Some people have successfully used off-the-shelf Pennzoil and Valvoline Synchromesh on their Toyota manual transmissions, but it is half the viscosity of the correct stuff :poop:

I got a VOA done of UltraLub 75w90 GL4 (now called Ultra1plus), and the results were so weak!
my rav4 you can use gl5 oils in the transmission according to the manual, same goes for allmost all old toyotas. My Toyota rav4 2002 have run on gl5 oils in the transmission since new.

Does anyone know if this is a gl5 and if it’s safe for the synchros? I’d like to at least try new fluid. I’d normally go with redline but since I already have this stuff here, I’d like to use it if someone can confirm it will be ok. I understand some gl5 fluids can be harmful to yellow metals like brass.

Does anyone know if this is a gl5 and if it’s safe for the synchros? I’d like to at least try new fluid. I’d normally go with redline but since I already have this stuff here, I’d like to use it if someone can confirm it will be ok. I understand some gl5 fluids can be harmful to yellow metals like brass.
do you have owners manual? i dont think gl5 oils today does harm your synchros.

I have the manual but I’ll have to find it. Thanks! 330k miles. Father in law bought it in 98 from the Toyota dealer. Recently put a low mileage used engine in. Should be a good truck but needs some TLC still. I replaced the clutch master and slave but don’t think I got all the air out for example. Time to bleed again using a helper. It could use a muffler and the ac doesn’t work. Overall it’s decent though. Tons of new parts. Just did KYB shocks all around.

Last edited:
Well I changed the trans and diff oil with this since I had it laying around. The truck is still up on stands for other maintenance, but the fluids that came out seemed really thick. Not sure if/ when they were changed last. Hoping it shifts nicer. Pouring rain and I’m pretty sick today so I doubt I’ll be able to get it finished right now.

Well I changed the fluids and I have to say the shift quality is night and day better. I’m tempted to run this for a year or so then change to redline because I’ve always been pleased by it, but for now, it’s so much better. Before, going 1-2 when the truck was cold was nearly impossible. It’s not perfect but much improved.

Back