Subaru Forester XT - NAPA Synthetic 5w30 - 5,847 Miles

Hey guys,

Been around the forum for a bit but this is the first post and thought it would be interesting to all (as they always are).

This is for my brothers 2017 Forester XT that ran Napa 5w-30 Synthetic for almost 6K miles. About 80% highway and 20% city, but lives at high altitude here in Colorado (about 9k feet) and this was the oil run through most of winter up here as well, so motor experienced many early morning cold starts near 0 F and below. Car has somewhere between 45k to 50k miles on it and he's been the only owner. Honestly, I was surprised how relatively little fuel dilution there was for the run with no make up oil needed and viscosity held up well overall. Flash point was a little bit lower than average but not too concerning really.

All in all, report came back pretty good and happy with the way the oil performed. I've used Napa Syn Blend several times for both my Outback 3.6 and their syn for the Crosstrek's in the finally with no issues and good results each time. Anyway, Napa was drained and replaced with Castrol Edge 5w-30 and old filter was a Puralotor boss (will try and do a cut and post when I can get my hands on a filter cutter) and replaced with a Napa Gold.

Enjoy!

Blackstone Report #1.png

Last edited:
Is titanium an additive in Napa full synthetic? I thought it was something only in Castrol EDGE, more specifically the 0W-40 has a heavy dose of it.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy
Is titanium an additive in Napa full synthetic? I thought it was something only in Castrol EDGE, more specifically the 0W-40 has a heavy dose of it.

That's a good question actually and not too sure myself, hmmm...

Don't think I've seen an VOA's on napa syn 5w30 and the add packs are supposed to be different valvoline so not sure.

Valvoline AFS 5W30 also shows a roughly similar level of titanium in its VOAs, not sure about the VME flavor.
I looked up this NAPA oil on the d1G2 list and it has a unique license # (D10261HB103), so it isn't in one of the big groups of likely identical oils like ST, amazonbasics, and many others are. Doesn't mean it couldn't be very similar or identical to other 5W30s out there, of course.

That' s nice UOA, BTW!

So we are suspecting then at ALL Napa Full synthetic has titanium in it? or just the 5w30? because I am about to pick a case of 5w20, not that it will sway my opinion but just wondering what I am putting in the engine. lol
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Valvoline AFS 5W30 also shows a roughly similar level of titanium in its VOAs, not sure about the VME flavor.
I looked up this NAPA oil on the d1G2 list and it has a unique license # (D10261HB103), so it isn't in one of the big groups of likely identical oils like ST, amazonbasics, and many others are. Doesn't mean it couldn't be very similar or identical to other 5W30s out there, of course.

That' s nice UOA, BTW!

Yeah, supposedly its the same base at Valvoline synpower but a different add pack, but I always thought that Castrol was the only one slipping Ti into oils. But, I guess not. lol
Originally Posted by Subie5w30

Don't think I've seen an VOA's on napa syn 5w30 and the add packs are supposed to be different valvoline so not sure.

Yeah, supposedly its the same base at Valvoline synpower but a different add pack, but I always thought that Castrol was the only one slipping Ti into oils. But, I guess not. lol

I do have a bunch of Napa 0w-20 and a jug of Napa 5w-30 Syn Blend in the garage right now and maybe will grab a bottle Napa syn 5w30 to run some VOA's on them. I know that the most recent VOA (that I can find) of Napa's synthetic can't possible be the current formula, so would be interesting to see how it compares.

Regardless though, I'm honestly a bit surprised and impressed with the current Napa batch of oil. Didn't expect the viscosity and TBN to hold up as well as it did through a Colorado winter at 9k feet through dirt, dust and snow in a DI Turbo motor. Plus it seemed to convince my brother that the brand itself isn't all that important and there's no need for expensive purple oil
wink.gif
hehe

IMO, the values for viscosity should state "expected" rather than "should be" but I agree that an upper 20 grade viscosity is good for a Subaru DIT. Looking at a few on subaruforester.org the last couple of postings showed 7.7 - 8.8 cSt's.

I'm surprised at the universal averages for silicon. I didn't realize it was that high on the newer models. I was able to get my silicon down into the single digits with an OEM air filter. Do you know what air filter he's running?

Last edited:
Is the FA20 are rough on oil as the EJ20? I remember my old WRX would shear down just about any oil you put in it. So its super good that its not destroying the oil as well. Love the FXT's.

I do have a bunch of Napa 0w-20 and a jug of Napa 5w-30 Syn Blend in the garage right now and maybe will grab a bottle Napa syn 5w30 to run some VOA's on them. I know that the most recent VOA (that I can find) of Napa's synthetic can't possible be the current formula, so would be interesting to see how it compares.

Regardless though, I'm honestly a bit surprised and impressed with the current Napa batch of oil. Didn't expect the viscosity and TBN to hold up as well as it did through a Colorado winter at 9k feet through dirt, dust and snow in a DI Turbo motor. Plus it seemed to convince my brother that the brand itself isn't all that important and there's no need for expensive purple oil
wink.gif
hehe

Is the FA20 are rough on oil as the EJ20? I remember my old WRX would shear down just about any oil you put in it. So its super good that its not destroying the oil as well. Love the FXT's.

It's usually difficult to tell if the oil is actually being sheared in the FA20 because of the fuel dilution. I only managed to do one uoa on my '03 WRX wagon (on API SL M1 10W-30 SS) before it was stolen. It had 18k miles at the time of the uoa and the KV@100C was 59.1 SUS (a bit over 10 cSt's I believe).

Generally though, the FA20 does seem to do ok on oil with an operational viscosity of a xW-20 when it's kept stock in regards to uoa wear metals. Of course, there are always exceptions and occasionally there are failures even on stock FA20 DIT's.

Last edited:
I had a 2015 WRX that I ordered on the 2nd day of open ordering. I typically don't buy first year of anything but I have a soft spot for WRX and STI. Been that way from 90s. Also the excitement of a platform that did not include the EJ. My FA20dit was hard on oil from fuel dilution. So bad I would dump it at 3000-3500. Dealer said it was normal even after I brought print outs from several other FA20dit UOAs. My trips were usually 1hr about 40 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie
IMO, the values for viscosity should state "expected" rather than "should be" but I agree that an upper 20 grade viscosity is good for a Subaru DIT. Looking at a few on subaruforester.org the last couple of postings showed 7.7 - 8.8 cSt's.

I'm surprised at the universal averages for silicon. I didn't realize it was that high on the newer models. I was able to get my silicon down into the single digits with an OEM air filter. Do you know what air filter he's running?

Good question actually! So he's been using the PureOne air filters for the last couple of runs but will start going back to the OEM filters in a few thousand more miles. The OEM air filters are just the "perfect" fit for the air box while aftermarket filters are either just a tad too big or too small and aren't creating the same "seal". Plus he drives on dirt roads daily and throw in sand on the road during winter and that likely explains the higher silicon values.

Same with my Outback and my girlfriends Crosstrek, the OEM filters fit perfectly but aftermarket ones (while perhaps better in filtering) aren't a 100% match.

TrainingPolicy said:

I used to think they were harder on oil than this in the past to be honest! Every oil change no matter how warmed up he would bring his car over to my place you could very clearly smell fuel in the oil and on the dipstick. Plus toss in the turbo and I thought for sure we would see more fuel dilution and the viscosity drop a little below grade. But I guess it can't be all that bad or hard on oil!

One caveat on that though, he rarely if ever short trips the car given where his home is located and most of his miles are generally highway, so I'm sure that has an impact as well.

Originally Posted by electricmarquis
I had a 2015 WRX that I ordered on the 2nd day of open ordering. I typically don't buy first year of anything but I have a soft spot for WRX and STI. Been that way from 90s. Also the excitement of a platform that did not include the EJ. My FA20dit was hard on oil from fuel dilution. So bad I would dump it at 3000-3500. Dealer said it was normal even after I brought print outs from several other FA20dit UOAs. My trips were usually 1hr about 40 miles.

Curious if you've ever done a UOA on the oil. I too could easily smell fuel on the dipstick and during each oil change and thought the same, but was surprised how relatively little dilution there actually was. Again though, mostly highway with very few short trips I'm sure has an effect and of course differences between the STi motor and what's in the Forester XT.

Curious if you've ever done a UOA on the oil. I too could easily smell fuel on the dipstick and during each oil change and thought the same, but was surprised how relatively little dilution there actually was. Again though, mostly highway with very few short trips I'm sure has an effect and of course differences between the STi motor and what's in the Forester XT.

Here are some WRX and FXT uoa's to keep you busy.
smile.gif

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657990

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/fa20dit-oil-analysis-thread.264098/

And another FXT uoa here running RT6 MV

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ella-t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-4500-miles

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie

Here are some WRX and FXT uoa's to keep you busy.
smile.gif

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657990

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/fa20dit-oil-analysis-thread.264098/

And another FXT uoa here running RT6 MV

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...ella-t6-multi-vehicle-7214-km-4500-miles

Nice!
smile.gif

Back