Subaru EJ205 Turbo engine with 60k KMs - Mobil ESP or Truck&SUV oil? Please advise.

Hi guys,

This is my first post on BITOG :) Happy to be here.

I am waiting for my JDM Subaru Forester 2006 to arrive from Japan.
It has EJ205 Turbo engine and 60k KMs. This is going to be my first Subaru and Turbo engine and I spending a lot of time to search and learn on specific points regarding its maintenance. One of the most important things is to decide what oil to choose for the old series EJ Turbo engine, but with not high mileage.

Based on my research, I want to go for 5w30 viscosity but get w30 oil on a bit thicker side. As somebody mentioned that EJ engine tends oil to shear.
Previously I used mostly Mobil oils for my NA engines for the last 18 years and had no issues. So I am gonna go with Mobil and it is going to be on sale in a week in Canada.

I would consider Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 which is on sale in Canada now, however, found that it is pretty thin and shears.

This time I am considering between Mobil "ESP" and "Truck & SUV".
Seems like ESP is a bit even thicker than T&S and higher HTHS.

Could you please advise which one should I go for and why? Please advise.

P.S.: If you think there is a better option for EJ205T w/60k kms, please advise as well.

Guys, all your opinions would be valuable for me.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Between those two, I would choose the ESP due to the higher HTHS as you mentioned. Although there's nothing wrong with running a full SAPS ACEA A3 xW-30 or xW-40 oil in this engine either. Reduced SAPS C3 oils like ESP are preferable in a DIT, but you don't have to worry about that with your EJ205T.

Hi guys,

This is my first post on BITOG :) Happy to be here.

I am waiting for my JDM Subaru Forester 2006 to arrive from Japan.
It has EJ205 Turbo engine and 60k KMs. This is going to be my first Subaru and Turbo engine and I spending a lot of time to search and learn on specific points regarding its maintenance. One of the most important things is to decide what oil to choose for the old series EJ Turbo engine, but with not high mileage.

Based on my research, I want to go for 5w30 viscosity but get w30 oil on a bit thicker side. As somebody mentioned that EJ engine tends oil to shear.
Previously I used mostly Mobil oils for my NA engines for the last 18 years and had no issues. So I am gonna go with Mobil and it is going to be on sale in a week in Canada.

I would consider Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 which is on sale in Canada now, however, found that it is pretty thin and shears.

This time I am considering between Mobil "ESP" and "Truck & SUV".
Seems like ESP is a bit even thicker than T&S and higher HTHS.

Could you please advise which one should I go for and why? Please advise.

P.S.: If you think there is a better option for EJ205T w/60k kms, please advise as well.

Guys, all your opinions would be valuable for me.

Thank you in advance.
Pennzoil Platinum is always been highly rated on here but you must not run it past 5k mis on any DI turbo engine in my experience. All I use in my Gen2 TGDI engines in our Ford trucks w/excellent results. Maybe there is better oil 4ya someone on here can recommend? Not sure. -Ohio

Been running Rotella T6 5w40 in my JDM Impreza wagon sti since it came to Canada July 2014. If I didn't use that I'd pick the esp.

Back