subaru dash lights, engine,cruise, stability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, it is a 2008 Impreza. The dash lights for check engine, stability control, and cruise control all come on. sometimes even radio, wipers, and a/c do not work. it used to be intermittent. it used to be you could put the key in again, or put key in upside down, and everything would be o.k. All of a sudden, 2 weeks ago, lights all come on, and now it is no longer intermittent problem. A few years ago, I had my mechanic look over the wiring, and visually inspect, check all connections, put in di-electric grease in all the contacts he could find. We don't have a dealer in this town, so we are stuck. We are planning to make a trip to dealer in 2 weeks time. It is 2 hours away.

Regarding the CEL + Cruise (and maybe stability?) I know that when you get a CEL, it disables the cruise and flashes the light. Perhaps they've incorporated the stability into that warning system now. The idea I believe is to draw greater attention to the CEL.

Sure seems like you're losing a contact in the ignition switch.

There are two "ignition" contacts, one of which runs less-important stuff like the HVAC fan, and which is "muted" when the key is in Start to provide more power to the starter.

If you have a "body control module" it's having a fit... maybe losing communication with the engine control module which is throwing the CEL.

Scan it!

Couple of years ago my 2009 Forester ABS, cruise, and other lights suddenly came on. Saturday night so I could not call the dealer for a warranty repair until Monday A.M.

I searched some Subaru forums in the mean time. Found the problem:
The taillight has two filaments- 0ne for brake and one for taillight. The taillight filament burns out and drops against the brake light filament, causing the computer to think the brakes are applied, and therefore something is not right in the ABS and cruise circuits.
New bulb, fixed.

The culprit for the CEL, Cruise, and ABS means you have check engine light. That is it on Subaru. When it goes off they all go out.

It is likely not wiring problems.

The mechanic needs to read code and diagnose first.

Check the battery and it's connections. It's possible you have either a failing battery or bad connections.

A bad ground somewhere?

The other culprits are possible as well.

Computers and sensors like to have good power and ground.

^^^That is an easy thing to check.

We bought a loaded Silverado in 05 that had strange electrical gremlins for almost a year. Then I checked the battery connections one day.

The positive one was loose! Just tightening that down fixed about 4 different oddities...

Originally Posted By: ColonelKlink
Hi, it is a 2008 Impreza. The dash lights for check engine, stability control, and cruise control all come on. sometimes even radio, wipers, and a/c do not work. it used to be intermittent. it used to be you could put the key in again, or put key in upside down, and everything would be o.k. All of a sudden, 2 weeks ago, lights all come on, and now it is no longer intermittent problem. A few years ago, I had my mechanic look over the wiring, and visually inspect, check all connections, put in di-electric grease in all the contacts he could find. We don't have a dealer in this town, so we are stuck. We are planning to make a trip to dealer in 2 weeks time. It is 2 hours away.

Have your check engine code read at any parts store and post here. Maybe someone can help you out. The various Subaru forums are really great as well. Until you post the code it's hard to even guess at what might be the problem.

send someone to check the brake light and of course you step on the brake.... sometimes a bad brake light switch will trigger these lights. At least mine did . pls post results

Go to an auto parts store, most will let you borrow an ODB2 reader to pull the code from your car. Let us know what code you're getting.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The culprit for the CEL, Cruise, and ABS means you have check engine light. That is it on Subaru. When it goes off they all go out.

^^ This is true. On newer Soobs, when the "check engine" light is triggered, a bunch of MILs go on at the same time, given these subsystems are programmed not to work when certain CELs are triggered.

I'd mail-order myself a cheap OBDII/CAN code reader to get a read on the situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: rjundi

^^ This is true. On newer Soobs, when the "check engine" light is triggered, a bunch of MILs go on at the same time, given these subsystems are programmed not to work when certain CELs are triggered.

I'd mail-order myself a cheap OBDII/CAN code reader to get a read on the situation.

Purchase a cheap ebay OBDII cable for the pc if you have a laptop or have a friend who does. Search for Vag-Com,

Download this then.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-p...ur-ecm-tcu.html

Better than a standalone OBDII scanner at least for Subarus.

hi, it was throwing a 420 code which could be something like overfilling the tank with fuel, or not closing the gas cap properly. another code was showing something to do with the ignition. I went to AAA and they did the reading for me for free, and suggested what it could be, and then reset the computer, so now there are no lights on at all, and everything is good. i am going to replace the spark plugs and wires, and get some other routine maintenance done like timing belt, and apparently there is an oil leak from head gasket, that needs to be replaced. thanks for all of the good pointers. actually i went to the Subaru forum, and they had a multiple page discussion about this, and how Subaru's behave or misbehave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back