Subaru CVT oil change made simple.....

Lolol. Id have to agree on the drive. Its somehow even less sporty than a conventional Automatic.

In terms of smoothness theyre nice....comfortable to drive...but just not a sexy transmission.

Not my 1st transmission choice for eternal vehicle ownership.

Attachments

• subaru_lineartronic_cvt_introduction.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 48
I'm not inherently anti-CVT, though Nissan's CVT's are garbage. That is where the hate comes from :unsure:

Honda actually makes a very good CVT, easy to service (drain and fill is very simple, no scan tool required), reliable, feels smooth and seamless. Too bad no CVT with the classic VTEC, as that would sound awesome since you could stay at 8000 rpm :D

Subaru is good too, but the fluid change is a bit more difficult, as outlined in the article in the OP.

Regarding CVT driving experience, if you were to buy a new Corolla with an automatic, get the model with the 2.0L engine. Those have a CVT with a actual first gear and makes for a better CVT driving experience. The SE model as an example has it, has more HP and gets better highway gas mileage than the LE model.

I like the CVT and we have two in my signature. Both work a designed and complimentary of the cars personalities & mission. I suppose you could say that, since we have the means, if we wanted vehicles that were more engaging to drive, we would have bought vehicles that are more engaging to drive. But as they are, they're befitting of our environment and driving style.

Are these CVTs going to blowup? IDK however I have had regular/conventional/shiftable autos that did that! Like on the Lexus RX that had 7 ATF changes in the 150,000 life before it bit the dust. Or my Chrysler Newport/NewYorker or another Nissan 4 speed auto tranny that was on its way out. All trannies had beyond regular maintenance to the point of waste. So?...🤔

Last edited:
I don't see what the big deal is either CB. I actually preferred it when driving through the mountains on my way to and from SoFLo.

EDIT: With 5w-20 in the sump at the time, LOL.

Regarding CVT driving experience, if you were to buy a new Corolla with an automatic, get the model with the 2.0L engine. Those have a CVT with a actual first gear and makes for a better CVT driving experience. The SE model as an example has it, has more HP and gets better highway gas mileage than the LE model.

This is a interesting point ^^^^^^^

How one is set up to run aka programming from ECM and combination with a well appointed motor and how one drives it makes a difference. My car still runs very, very well with 336,500 miles on it's orginal CVT with a 3.5 VQ.

happy with the cvt in my wife’s subaru. cars are meant for transportation, it fulfills that need reliably and economically. not everyone has to be a driving enthusiast! besides, in a household where the other vehicles are a 2500hd, tj wrangler, and two fifty-ish year old gm vehicles (gto and k10), that four banger subaru feels downright sporty!

PTL that I haven't had nor do I want to have any issues with my CVT, nor does anyone else with their own. However, I will drive the car like a human being rather than an idiot(not that I would anyway) and am going to maintain the tranny as I have with other trannies that I've owned.

Sure, in regards to the CVT, I have to "step-on-it" once in a while in order to get away from or pass slow moving traffic but, I just don't drive like this all day, everyday as I have seen many doing with their own vehicles. Yes, I wished that these CVTs had a better reputation 'cause I really like them for their everyday-ness...not their lack sporty-ness!

I like the CVT and we have two in my signature. Both work a designed and complimentary of the cars personalities & mission. I suppose you could say that, since we have the means, if we wanted vehicles that were more engaging to drive, we would have bought vehicles that are more engaging to drive. But as they are, they're befitting of our environment and driving style.

Are these CVTs going to blowup? IDK however I have had regular/conventional/shiftable autos that did that! Like on the Lexus RX that had 7 ATF changes in the 150,000 life before it bit the dust. Or my Chrysler Newport/NewYorker or another Nissan 4 speed auto tranny that was on its way out. All trannies had beyond regular maintenance to the point of waste. So?...🤔
I agree 100%
Had many cvt's and prefer them.
Always a bunch of drama about transmissions. The only thing i don't like is trying to make them all have simulated shift points.

I do like my Ford 10 spd trans in my truck. It seems to always pick the right gear and is seamless in its shifts.

^^^Right!
Anything can be done if it's done well.
Because I don't know transmissions very well, I don't understand why CVTs can't just be built well. If they're(MFGs) are going to install them in vehicles, build them well for crying out loud!

Nissan builds a nice vehicle to drive. I've now owned several and I like'em and they're very nice to drive. And it makes me wonder, how do you build such a nice vehicle to drive and then, make it fall apart?

Lately, Nissan seemed to be the opposite of Toyota. Toyota(up until recently) build boring cars to drive but lasted a long time (statistically). I mean, not all of their cars but, most were not only boring but often terrible to drive(I've owned them). However, Nissan has become somewhat boring themselves as well as earning themselves a bad reputation for reliability when at one time, they were a go-to vehicle when you wanted something different & reliable other than HonYota.

Maybe Nissan will make a comeback as people are speaking with their money and sales are falling.

Back