Subaru CV re-boot - fitment problems

D60

I'm trying to replace the boot on the front inner joint of a '15 Forester, 2.5NA

Per VIN from dealer I have the OEM boot kit 28397SG000

However the inner boot has three lobes molded into it which prevent anything resembling a good fit. Please see new boot on right:
20240507_114246.jpg

Poor fit (worse in person)
20240507_114033.jpg

The stub housing is purely round, no detents:
20240507_114325.jpg

Thoughts? @Trav

Also, the inner joint did not use this clip, which is provided in the Subaru kit.
20240507_120221.jpg

It's possible I'm not working with an OEM shaft, but vehicle only has 97k and based upon the existing boot clamps (not crimp style) I believed it to be OEM.

If this were true, it would seem to mean the Subaru joint should have detents to accommodate the lobes in the boot. Can anyone confirm?

Well, apologies as I answered my own question. Even many aftermarkets like GSP have reliefs for these:
20240507_132301.jpg

Apparently I was trying to reboot an aftermarket shaft with an OEM boot.

Still, a cautionary tale for others. I see why shops just buy complete aftermarket assemblies and slap them in -- you never know what you're starting with if you try to reboot (plus additional time to do the job).

I'm all for salvaging the OEM, but it's not always practical

I also found it weird the inner left boot was torn but the outer still seemed in good shape. I typically expect outer failure first 'cause of steering and all.....

Inner left boot:
20240430_145741.jpg

How is that GSP axle holding up on that other SJ? :unsure:

Would you use them again? Would you use it on this one?
It's fine, but I'm not sure that says much. I think I'd use it again just because it seems like the only step between OEM ($$$$$) and cheap aftermarket.

From the last time you helped me with advice on this topic I just happened to have a basic GSP NCV66012. I had stumbled upon it back then on Warehouse Deals for $38 and grabbed it "just in case."

It came in handy today. I told the guy I was mistaken and couldn't reboot his shaft because it was already aftermarket. I told him I'd sell him the base-level GSP I had here for $50 plus labor.

The NCV66012, foreground:
20240507_131145.jpg

It didn't have any wobble under acceleration on my test drive, which is something I always worry about with aftermarket axles.

Also, the best I was seeing on an OEM shaft was ~$340 plus shipping. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but the price differential is considerable.

I've wondered-- is this what even OEMs do? Or are they sometimes both thermoplastic?
Usually it's rubber inner for OEM.

Occasionally the aftermarket axles will be rubber for the outer boots.

• Helpful
Reactions: D60
How is that GSP axle holding up on that other SJ? :unsure:

Would you use them again? Would you use it on this one?
UPDATE: inner boot torn! There's only like 10k miles on this, maybe 15k (I'd have to reference my records).

This is left side and thus isn't even above the exhaust like the RH side.

So, it's all well and good to get a TPE boot at the wheel but doesn't help for the inner boot. Thanks GSP.
20240608_155520.jpg

I have tried a couple of aftermarket Suby CV axles due to the cost of OE which are also remans albeit to suby spec, with mostly failures due to either early boot failure or vibration and only a couple that were decent and have lasted and I would use again.
The GSP Performance Revolution is the overall best so far, it is much better quality with thermo outer boots and a thicker inner boot, they are black coated for rust protection (it could be powder or epoxy, I don't know) that seems to hold up well enough. No vibration or out of balance issues and good fitment.
On the lifted wagons or lifted Outback the TRAKMOTIVE Extended Travel do well but it is normal to have a very minor vibration at idle in gear due to its non plunge inner joint design (this does dissipate in a few K), the plunge inner style is a must on these cars for zero vibration.

From what I see -- and perhaps I misunderstood product listings -- some of the severe duty Taco CVs from common names like GSP or Trakmotive are TPE inner and outer.

So, if you can do it for Tacomas, why not Subaru?

I can't help but feel like a TPE inner would have avoided this, although it may just be low quality rubber or neoprene used. As it is there's seemingly no advantage to paying the premium for the Revolution as they only did half the job. It's like having a lathe without a mill or a tire machine without a balancer.

From what I see -- and perhaps I misunderstood product listings -- some of the severe duty Taco CVs from common names like GSP or Trakmotive are TPE inner and outer.

So, if you can do it for Tacomas, why not Subaru?

I can't help but feel like a TPE inner would have avoided this, although it may just be low quality rubber or neoprene used. As it is there's seemingly no advantage to paying the premium for the Revolution as they only did half the job. It's like having a lathe without a mill or a tire machine without a balancer.
I think it has to do with the grade of rubber. OE often uses thermoplastic outer and rubber inner. At least Toyota does.

Back