Subaru calling cars "trucks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should also be ashamed that they make the outback...
tongue.gif
lol.gif

Aw, come on. Sure, it's not a Jeep, but it's well-designed and serves the purpose it was intended for.
I don't want one though...at least not as long as my Cherokee still lives.

They have a history of this. The original Subaru Brat had seats in the bed to allow it to be imported as a "car" and avoid the import tariffs on small pickup trucks.

This is a problem with making arbitrary laws, not Subaru. People always find creative ways to avoid them...

Have any of these bedwetting tree huggers or numbnuts reporters checked to see if the Suburu "trucks" still meet the fuel economy and emissions standards?

I'll bet they do. Panic first think later.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

tweeker43, I've met some 18 wheel drivers who get mad when they hear a 1 ton pickup called a "truck".
Its a matter of perspective.

yeah, in my neck of the woods it was semi, trailer, or big rig for the 18 wheelers. of course, people said "pickup" as much as truck (in reference to 4 wheelers with beds).

subaru must be doing this for the gas mileage because the 2004 and beyond vehicles are SULEV2 or PZEV.

the problem for them is that the all-wheel drive vehicles get mediocre gas mileage when compared to similar fwd cars.

chrysler did the same with the pt cruiser.

for the longest time, many suvs could be titled as either cars (wagons) or trucks. in indiana, truck plates were much cheaper than car plates, so a lot of people got their cherokee / blazer / bronco titled as a truck. you could also plate these vehicles as cars. truck plates also kept you from having to obey seatbelt laws. i think all this is now past; i haven't lived there for years.

anyway, imho, trucks have beds. no bed, not a truck. i'm simple minded like that.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
ZmOz why 'ashamed' they make the Outback? They sell everyone they can import here and that's a lot.

Because I think it's an ugly little peice of crap...I've got more to say about them but I won't in case there are an outback fans around here.
wink.gif

oh, come on, zmoz. say it! some of us are subaru owners, and certainly not because of their fashionable good looks.
grin.gif

(i have a bug-eyed 2002 impreza).

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:

for the longest time, many suvs could be titled as either cars (wagons) or trucks. in indiana, truck plates were much cheaper than car plates, so a lot of people got their cherokee / blazer / bronco titled as a truck. you could also plate these vehicles as cars...

anyway, imho, trucks have beds. no bed, not a truck...

In California, trucks cost more to register than cars, an extra fee based on unladen weight. I used to register vans as station wagons for that reason. There is some value. Commercial tags do allow parking in loading zones.

A FedEx or UPS delivery van has no bed. Is that not a truck?

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:

for the longest time, many suvs could be titled as either cars (wagons) or trucks. in indiana, truck plates were much cheaper than car plates, so a lot of people got their cherokee / blazer / bronco titled as a truck. you could also plate these vehicles as cars...

anyway, imho, trucks have beds. no bed, not a truck...

In California, trucks cost more to register than cars, an extra fee based on unladen weight. I used to register vans as station wagons for that reason. There is some value. Commercial tags do allow parking in loading zones.

A FedEx or UPS delivery van has no bed. Is that not a truck?

i guess i'd make an exception for my rule, but i've always just said the ups "guy," or the fedex "dude."

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

ZmOz why 'ashamed' they make the Outback? They sell everyone they can import here and that's a lot.

Because I think it's an ugly little peice of crap...I've got more to say about them but I won't in case there are an outback fans around here.
wink.gif

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. However, while you may think they are ugly, how can you honestly call it a peice of crap? These are great little SUV's. I kinda like the looks of them and would buy one if there was a dealer near me.

I beileve the US built OB's are pretty much a piece of crap after participating on some US Subaru forums. The Japanese built OB's we have here just don't have the myriad problems that unfortunately the US made ones appear too. My OB's is I think my 25th vehicle and so much better than the rest it's not funny. Great company and people to deal with as well. Will do me just fine thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:

quote:

wink.gif

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. However, while you may think they are ugly, how can you honestly call it a peice of crap? These are great little SUV's. I kinda like the looks of them and would buy one if there was a dealer near me.

They're nice, but not SUV's. They're station wagons.

One thing I can say is that if I were to get drilled in traffic by a speeding Soccer mom I'd much rather she was driving an OB than a Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back