Subaru BRZ

Try 184 ft. lbs and 228Hp in a 2800 pound vehicle. Very few 2 Liter Turboed small suv's and very few daily drivers will keep up with it.
In daily driving a turbo'ed SUV with full torque(200-250ft-lbs) at 1200-1500 RPM will pull away 0-30MPH without the thrashing of a BRZ which thankfully lowered its peak torque to 3900 RPM but still need to spin that motor up. I owned a 2004 WRX and it was pig off the line due lackluster torque also. Not great daily driver but fun rubber band power curve past 4000RPM.

I own a Tiguan with not a lot of HP/heavy but off the line the motor spins to 1600 RPM and whisked the vehicle nicely in traffic with its 221 ft-lbs of torque.

The BRZ makes sense for the track but daily driver well.....

The original Z3 came with 114 HP and 124 torque, so it appears "corolla like" ratings were sufficient at one time for some first effort entry level RWD 2 seater cars.... lol

The original Z3 came with 114 HP and 124 torque, so it appears "corolla like" ratings were sufficient at one time for some first effort entry level RWD 2 seater cars.... lol
Yes, so were cars with 50-60hp at one point.
I owned E30 318 with M10 engine and 105hp. Was super fun. But, long time ago. New stuff comes out, better stuff, more powerful stuff. Human beings accept better things very easily.

Try 184 ft. lbs and 228Hp in a 2800 pound vehicle. Very few 2 Liter Turboed small suv's and very few daily drivers will keep up with it.
I think the problem is that we are comparing it to 2L SUV's, lol

It should not be able to be compared with them, IMO. Hopefully the 0-60 will be in the low 5's, but the 5-60 is still going to be pretty ugly, but that is what it is for a vehicle of this nature.

I think my Golf R would keep up with it OK. ;)

That said, I like it a lot, and if I didn't really need a hatch I'd totally consider one. Frankly, my R doesn't really feel "fun" until you get to felony speeding levels. 0 to 100 in ~9 seconds is cool and all, but how often can one really do this and not get arrested? If a two seater works for you, I'd say this is a great, fun option.

I like having the HP on tap, but I think it can be overrated to a degree unless you're getting the car out to a track where you can use it.

In daily driving a turbo'ed SUV with full torque(200-250ft-lbs) at 1200-1500 RPM will pull away 0-30MPH without the thrashing of a BRZ which thankfully lowered its peak torque to 3900 RPM but still need to spin that motor up. I owned a 2004 WRX and it was pig off the line due lackluster torque also. Not great daily driver but fun rubber band power curve past 4000RPM.

I own a Tiguan with not a lot of HP/heavy but off the line the motor spins to 1600 RPM and whisked the vehicle nicely in traffic with its 221 ft-lbs of torque.

The BRZ makes sense for the track but daily driver well.....
There's always the option of a few more rpms... Compared to what low rpms most autoboxes run these days, simply holding 2nd and 3rd to 4-5k rpm at half throttle in my torqueless wonder gets me ahead of traffic most of the time, and the motor is fine and sounds happy doing it. I was kind of expecting the old BRZ to be a bit of a dog in 2nd gear when I went for a ride along at autocross but it was pretty good pulling from lower rpms in second. I can imagine on a road course it gets a little annoying to have an excellent chassis with that little power but whatever, I still want one, torque dip or not.

Last edited:
I think my Golf R would keep up with it OK. ;)

That said, I like it a lot, and if I didn't really need a hatch I'd totally consider one. Frankly, my R doesn't really feel "fun" until you get to felony speeding levels. 0 to 100 in ~9 seconds is cool and all, but how often can one really do this and not get arrested? If a two seater works for you, I'd say this is a great, fun option.

I like having the HP on tap, but I think it can be overrated to a degree unless you're getting the car out to a track where you can use it.
Exactly this, but also keep in mind your Golf R is a totally different vehicle. Turbo. More expensive by far. Etc. Kindof like saying a new Corvette would thrash your Golf R. Well...yeah?

Also, while a R is a super sensible DD, it's a "luxury" DD. I think poster meant common stuff. Commuter cars without premiums.

I was impressed that the Mazda with turbo did so well against the Golf R, though. Most of its prowess is launch mode (useless around town), and tunes.

Back