Subaru Blue OEM 15208AA15A cut open UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used filter Analysis here! I am sure this has been done, but this was taken off a subaru crosstrek after 6000 miles running 0w20 oil from the dealership.

The ADBV was soft and the fiber endcaps firmly adhered. The center tube was aligned perfectly and the bypass valve felt very firm. Media was mostly evenly spaced and uncompromised. I am impressed with the quality for being what is basically a fram filter. I have to say the quality of fram products seems to be very good even on their most basic filters.

Next filters getting opened will be a fram xg7317 on the XV and a union sangyo knockoff subaru filter pictures below.

Subaru specs a 23 PSI bypass setting. Many after market filters are/were too low. Wix now makes a correct oil filter for Subaru's. They previously listed an oil filter with a much lower setting. I would not put a Fram XG7317 on a Subaru.

I would never put anything without the correct PSI on my Subaru as well! I use Wix 57055 or Napa Gold 7055 only! I like having the silicone ADBV for our really cold winters.

It sounds like cardiac arrest. I have always found it curious that the bypass valve rating is a big sticking point for so many people. How often does a pressure differential of 23psi actually occur?

A filter that flows more freely allows for a lower pressure differential in most situations and goes into bypass less often than a filter that flows less freely, but has a higher bypass rating. I figured the bypass rating was a based more on the filter and avoiding starving the engine, than it was the vehicle. Would a non-oem filter really go into bypass?

Originally Posted By: telecat
It's a Fram in sheep's clothing.

Haha. Thats awesome. It seems really well constructed... I know there are some really bad looking fram dissections out there, but this one looks solid.

Originally Posted By: Cardiac_RSd
A filter that flows more freely allows for a lower pressure differential in most situations and goes into bypass less often than a filter that flows less freely, but has a higher bypass rating. I figured the bypass rating was a based more on the filter and avoiding starving the engine, than it was the vehicle. Would a non-oem filter really go into bypass?

Subarus put out an insane amount of oil flow. The delta-p across the filter is a function of:

a) filter's flow resistance
b) oil viscosity/temp
c) oil pump's flow volume
d) filter's debris loading

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
You should like the Union Sangyo filter. I use them in my Ridgeline and M35. Solid build, value priced.

How do you know what PSI it is rated at? I would NEVER use that filter!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Cardiac_RSd

Subarus put out an insane amount of oil flow. The delta-p across the filter is a function of:

a) filter's flow resistance
b) oil viscosity/temp
c) oil pump's flow volume
d) filter's debris loading

WRX/Legacy Gt will pump the entire sump volume every 5-6secs. I can't figure out how the oil has time to drain back so the pump can pick it up again!

Considering Fram makes both the Subaru and the Fram line of filters they are fully aware of the flow requirements of Subaru. People get so up in arms over this little issue without having any of the facts. They act as if Fram has no idea what they are doing while they are the ones with the full facts and able to actually design the filter. Sorry but I give them and their employees like Jay enough credit to spec the proper filter for the Subaru regardless if it is Subaru labelled or not. You must know the properties of the media or else it means nothing. Looking at one detail (bypass setting) is only one part of the story. Just because a filter has the correct bypass setting also does not mean that it is going to work properly in the application without the filter manufacturing designing the media correctly.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Considering Fram makes both the Subaru and the Fram line of filters they are fully aware of the flow requirements of Subaru. People get so up in arms over this little issue without having any of the facts. They act as if Fram has no idea what they are doing while they are the ones with the full facts and able to actually design the filter. Sorry but I give them and their employees like Jay enough credit to spec the proper filter for the Subaru regardless if it is Subaru labelled or not. You must know the properties of the media or else it means nothing. Looking at one detail (bypass setting) is only one part of the story. Just because a filter has the correct bypass setting also does not mean that it is going to work properly in the application without the filter manufacturing designing the media correctly.

You may be right. But, all I know is I used Fram Ultra XG7317 filters for a couple oci's, and the use motor oil looked much darker than when I have used either the Subaru 15A or the NAPA FIL 7055. It left me with the impression that the filter ran in bypass much more than it didn't. I don't have a UOA to back up my theory. But I became convinced then, that for my Outback, I will always use a filter that has a bypass valve which meets the factory spec.

looks great, personally i dont care about the gigantic cluster fest thread on this forum debating subaru oil pump pressures because frankly there was zero scientific evidence of actual engine failures, and there never will be. I practice my non caring attitude with every subaru project i work on with Napa Silvers or whatever cheapest oil filter i have laying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back