Subaru Baja 2.5 L EJ253, 2750mi, Valvoline 5W/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was my first test; decided to test primarily to keep tabs on the head gasket issue that some Subarus suffer. While pleased with those result in particular, I have higher than normal aluminum and iron. Your thoughts are welcome

OIL Valvoline 5W/30
MILES IN USE 2,750
MILES 69,000
SAMPLE TAKEN 3/25/15

No fill oil added

Code:
Aluminum- 9
Chromium- 1
Iron- 16
Copper- 0
Lead- 0
Tin- 0
Moly- 28
Nickel- 0
Manganese- 0
Silver- 1
Titanium- 62
Potassium- 0
Boron- 96
Silicon- 6
Sodium- 21
Calcium- 2252
Magnesium- 31
Phosphorus- 700
Zinc- 855
Barium- 1

SUS 210F- 56.0 (range- 55-62)
cSt 100C- 9.08 (range- 8.8-11.1)
Flashpoint- 390F (range- >365F)
Fuel %- 0.5 (range- Antifreeze %- 0 (range- 0)
Water %- 0 (range- Insolubles %- 0.3 (range- <0.6)

No problems IMO. Levels are still what I consider low. Especially coming off a harsh PA winter in what is likely a short tripper. Thanks for posting.

If you looking for a blown headgasket ditch the Valvoline. Its probably my favorite oil manufacturer but there sodium additives can be a real challenge to detect a bad head gasket.

Try a different brand, if sodium stays high and you wear remains high you might have a problem.

I've always liked those quirky Bajas. I can't remember the last time I've seen one for sale, sadly.
frown.gif
I am surprised by the high iron and aluminum, was this driven short trips in the winter? That could explain the higher wear. I wonder if they've changed the formulation in Valvoline conventional? They usually have a lot more sodium, but yours only has 21 ppm? That's odd. It should be closer to 150-200 based on other UOAs I've seen of it. Was this the older pre-sodium SM rated stuff?

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
If you looking for a blown headgasket ditch the Valvoline. Its probably my favorite oil manufacturer but there sodium additives can be a real challenge to detect a bad head gasket.

Try a different brand, if sodium stays high and you wear remains high you might have a problem.

21 ppm of sodium is truly nothing. As a matter of fact, with this level it seems either this is not really Valvoline or it's a lab error. Valvoline sodium levels should be several hundred ppm iirc.

And, OP, I wouldn't worry about the level of metals. Did you compare to the "universal averages" for that engine supplied by the oil analysis provider?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

21 ppm of sodium is truly nothing. As a matter of fact, with this level it seems either this is not really Valvoline or it's a lab error. Valvoline sodium levels should be several hundred ppm iirc.

And, OP, I wouldn't worry about the level of metals. Did you compare to the "universal averages" for that engine supplied by the oil analysis provider?

Yes, I know I thought about it right after I said it just worded it wrong. Should have said if sodium remains in UOA with high wear metals it can indicate a problem.

I agree that is not Valvoline. Sodium is way low (should be several hundred ppm) plus they do not use Moly or Ti in Valvoline at all.

Most resembles Kendall to me...

the UOA on my 2010 Traverse-thats used nothing but Valvoline Conventional 5W-30
show sodium at the following levels.

315, 292, 290, 349, 278, 389.

Moly at
2,1,1,2,5,21 (21 being the oil change after break in)

Ti

Last edited:
Potassium at zero is a very good sign. A few months prior to the HG job on my '02 Forester (2.5L N/A SOHC engine) the level was over 100 ppm in 3k miles! Sodium was in triple digits also although that could have been because I ran Valvoline MaxLife Synblend oil which, as other mentioned, is normally high in sodium. Haven't done any UOA's since.

Overall, I look at the HG situation as something that is a question of when rather than if with the 2.5L Subaru engine. Something that's worth preparing for emotionally and financially if you own or want to own a vehicle with one of those engines. (I hope this comment doesn't kill this good UOA thread and start a back and forth about Subarus.)

Last edited:
That is a low mileage OCI. I think your aluminum and iron are a little high. Maybe you are using better oil and its doing some cleaning. One UOA does not the story tell.

Some more background gentlemen:
I purchased the Baja in June 2014 w/ 63,300 mi.

This was my second oil change and the first with Valvoline. I had a belated 60,000 mile service performed 66,346 at an independent Subaru shop and his default oil is the Valvoline. He also offers a Valvoline synthetic on request.

My local mechanic uses bulk Autozone 5W/30. This shop will also furnish AutoZone synthetic and Mobil 1 on request. He will do the oil changes until my next visit to the indy Subaru shop at 90,000.

It was a harsh PA/Poconos winter and I rarely do short trips- you have to drive 20+ miles to to shop, work, etc...

Universal ave for aluminum is 3 and iron is 8

Agreed that the Subaru HG issue is always simmering under the surface; this is #3 for me so I accept reality- after all I drive a Baja so you know I'm a bit quirky

I did a lower than normal mileage OCI because I had a 1400 mile trip ahead

Of course further testing will reveal a clearer picture, and your initial impressions and past experiences are appreciated

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I agree that is not Valvoline. Sodium is way low (should be several hundred ppm) plus they do not use Moly or Ti in Valvoline at all.

Most resembles Kendall to me...

Upon reflection....I asked for conventional and I assumed Valvoline from the Valvoline logo on his web-site. This is why asking you guys for input and the benefit of your past experience is valuable. THX

Those readings are rather high for the Subaru.

You may or may not get an indication of gasket failure this way. If it leaks out to the exhaust valve it won't show up.

Look carefully underneath. Look for any coolant leakage. If you see it its only a matter of time. Make sure you use genuine Subaru coolant and put in the "Conditioner" (stopleak)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back