Subaru-Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at a 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R.I read that the car is sluggish even with 256 hp.How is Subaru quality.I read that doing a spark plug replacement is a big PITA.I'm also looking at the Acura TLX all wheel drive.Thanks

I think they are great cars. I have couple friends that have had a few of them and love them.

Forgo the sixer. I wouldn't want a CVT in a 30K car though I could buy a base legacy if I could get a schtick in it for 22K.

I don't find midsize cars usefull unless they are hatches or wagons or sport-luxury. Live a little and get something exciting! My father was really disappointed with his Lexus He would have enjoyed a used Z3 M roadster or a used Ferrari 308gtb

You gotta drive the competition. For 25k I might be inclined to get an off lease 540 bimmer or such.

Subarus are awesome vehicles...my only problem with them is their less than stellar fuel economy due to their entire line-up being all wheel drive...

I have not owned a newer Subaru, but I have had SEVERAL older Suby's and they never quit before they rust apart. A great choice IMO, make sure you plan for a timing belt and associated parts replacement as normal maintenance around 100K mi.

FWIW; they seem to love Rotella T6 or German Castrol.

base 2015 legacy are all cvt no more MT's
same for 2015 outback

I wouldnt call the 3.6 slow at all, but its not exactly a mustang either

What exactly are you looking for in a car? What are your priorities?

Also the base 2.5 no longer needs a timing belt@100k they went to chain.

The 2015 WRX is abit more fun than the legacy if fun is a high priority (and available with 6mt or cvt)

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Forgo the sixer. I wouldn't want a CVT in a 30K car though I could buy a base legacy if I could get a schtick in it for 22K.

I don't find midsize cars usefull unless they are hatches or wagons or sport-luxury. Live a little and get something exciting! My father was really disappointed with his Lexus He would have enjoyed a used Z3 M roadster or a used Ferrari 308gtb

You gotta drive the competition. For 25k I might be inclined to get an off lease 540 bimmer or such.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Subarus are awesome vehicles...

Agreed!

...my only problem with them is their less than stellar fuel economy due to their entire line-up being all wheel drive...

Then your problem is solved! 2015 Legacy 4cyl rated 38mpg highway, the six is 29 highway. Although I did not test drive a Legacy yet, the Outback with the 4 cyl CVT was knocking back 34+ on a flat highway at 60 mph during my test drive, and is only rated at 33.

OP, yes in the answer to your question, Subies are great cars. I have read the reviews saying the 6 seems sluggish. But I also saw the ones saying the 4 lacks the oomph to pass with confidence on the highway, but the 6 was good to go. Also from a couple/three Subaru forums, folks with the six love it. Guess it comes down to how hard you want your engine to be working, and what environment you drive in day to day. I did read a bit about the 4 using a bit of oil, but that report varied widely and was generally seen by people who didn't bother to look between oil changes.

The Legacy is NOT a sports car....if that's what you want go with the WRX or WRX/STi. But it IS a solid car, I am strongly considering trading the F150 for one.

Last edited:
I completely don't see the point of a 3.6 in the Legy/Outback. Way more fuel consumption, complexity and cost for not so much more power over the FB25 engine.

I leased/returned a 2012 Legacy 2.5i, CVT. It was an outstanding vehicle in terms of comfort, fit/finish and fuel economy.

Currently have a 2014 XV Crosstrek, 5spd. About the only thing I miss is the CVT, the better sound system and interior storage the Legacy had.

Look for a leftover 2014 3.6 with a real automatic. I would buy a Subaru any day over Toyota, Honda or Nissan but nothing with a CVT.

Subarus have always intrigued me. I love their AWD system. Aside from people hopping up the turbo versions subsequently compromising their longevity, I can't seem to get a bead on reliability with numbers attached..so how long do the normal NA versions last before issues? 200-300,000 miles?

Last edited:
If not abused and reasonably maintained, NA Subaru's tend to go 225k-250k pretty easy. Rust gets a bunch of them, and usual repairs (brakes, tires, wheel bearings, CV shafts, Ball joints, etc) eventually exceed the value of the car. But that happens with pretty much any car.

Be aware you can't just slap another tire on a true AWD vehicle. All four have to be the same diameter.

Plugs are not that bad to do, with the right tools. You don't have to do them that often unless your really putting the miles down quick. Plenty of write ups on changing plugs on various Subaru models.

18249.jpg

"Sedan. Subaru style."

Subarus are awesome vehicles...my only problem with them is their less than stellar fuel economy due to their entire line-up being all wheel drive...

Old school thinking.

The AWD penalty is quite small, typically 1 sometimes 2mpg.

Case in point the 2015 Legacy AWD with 4cylinder(26/36) bests the 2014 Camry 4 cylinder(25/35) by 1 mpg.

However the H6 is an old school Subie motor and burns a bit more fuel on highway.

I'd definitely check out the Acura TLX as I think it in a different class of car over a Subaru.

The Subaru 3.6 is gussied up with little suspension NVH changes over a $22k Subaru 4 cylinder.

The Acura baseline is a $30k different class of car from design onset.

That being said my parents 2015 Subaru Outback base model is a really nice car for $23kish they paid. I don't see the value moving up.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I'd definitely check out the Acura TLX as I think it in a different class of car over a Subaru.

The Subaru 3.6 is gussied up with little suspension NVH changes over a $22k Subaru 4 cylinder.

The Acura baseline is a $30k different class of car from design onset.

That being said my parents 2015 Subaru Outback base model is a really nice car for $23kish they paid. I don't see the value moving up.

Unlike Lexus which at least tries to step away from its Toyota roots Honda no does no such thing. It is a Honda and sold as one around the world, nothing more and nothing less.
The TLX will be sold in Europe as a Honda, possibly the new Accord.
V6 versions use the Gen 2 iVTEC with their infamous VCM, and a 9 spd Honda automatic.
This company cant build a decent 5 spd auto never mind a 9 spd. Not opinion but fact! Honda automatic horror stories are stuff of legend.

The 4 banger gets a Honda double clutch gear box, i hate to think of how thats going to work out given Honda's past history.
The H6 in the Subaru is a much simpler engine and the Subaru automatics were very good.
One of the best AWD systems in the world along with quattro, the rest are all in a different class.

The bottom line with this Acura brand is they take a Honda and put the worlds ugliest grill on it and sell it at a premium as something special. Its a marketing brand nothing more.

49.gif

Subarus are great and their engines are very reliable.

Though I have heard that changing the spark plugs on the 6 cylinder are a nightmare. I don't know if it's changed, but years ago I remember people on forums saying it took them 6+ hours to do because of how difficult it is to get to the back two spark plugs, and that's after using guides that tell you exactly how to do it and what sized extensions to use at every step. Even after doing it people say it's still a 4 hour job.

Overall, great cars, very safe, very reliable, and they have an excellent AWD system.

My 2000 just turned 217,000 and my 2004 has 170,000. Aside from the normal Subaru maintenance no issues, and built like a tank. Zero rust since I live in the south.

Quality vehicles. Shows in their sales year in, year out.

Acura's SH-AWD(in TLX) is nothing to sneeze at and enhances vehicle in handling. I have both Acura MDX with SH-AWD and Subaru turbo Legacy 5mt and find there is no clear winner as one seems to excel in certain situations over the other.

To the OP what is your interest in AWD for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back